Nice article about the vinyl LP frenzy

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
VINYL-slide-JLS7-jumbo.jpg

In this NY Times article, it talks about how popular vinyl has gotten in the last few years and that many manufacturers are struggling to keep up with the demand.

On one hand you have a high demand, but Vinyl is still a very small niche, which could lead to a crash if the industry is not careful. Right now the younger generation is discovering vinyl as a "cool" thing that just came out. I'm sure most of them don't even realize it was around years ago, LOL!

But still, it's good that vinyl is demand. I just wish the prices weren't so high, however, the only way that can happen is if it's mass-produced like it was ages ago. First they have to make new machines because the old ones are all falling apart....

Reactions: Pug

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Good post. Ya, vinyl is the 'in' thing these days. Whenever we go digging, there's always a few hipsters and youngins, but it's to be expected I guess. I don't really mind so much, since it helps out record stores, which means they keep their doors open. Before vinyl made it's come back, I remember so many local stores closing. Now it's less common for that to happen, so I'm happy. But yes, the industry is at a weird spot now, aging machines and probably not a huge amout of people with the expertise to run such operations. I'm happy I have built up a collection to the point where I really don't need much more.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Agreed. I wonder how much it would cost for manufacturers or anyone in general to make a new pressing machine. I mean, what would be the cost of creating a new line of machines versus the cost of maintaining ageing ones?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
That's the issue. Someone has to create a machine to create a machine. Not an easy task since it requires a lot of resources, and it's not likely entirely viable to do so since no one knows how long this trend will last. I'd argue that maintaining the machines is probably the most realistic process, though at some point some will need replacing.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Interesting link, thanks for sharing wrighboy. It's good that people think outside the box, and think with technology in mind. Though I wonder if record pressing plants will work towards similar goals.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah there's always been some machines out there that cut vinyl, I remember Vestax did one back around 2000 I think. The other issue is how the quality of those smaller cutters are.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Ya, there's always been dubplate cutters, and things like that, which are great for individual efforts. Still I am curious to see if they improve on existing technology. I guess we'll see what happens.

*D*

Beatmaker
What's your take on the 180 gram vinyl? Is it just a glorified re-issue or do you think the first press sounds better? I haven't been collecting vinyl very long so I'm trying to gather more info on it.