Interviews NNXT

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
NN-XT.jpg

Being a member of IllMuzik since 2004, Nnxt has been holding it down for a minute now. From his skills in Reason and the Nnxt sampler, to a full blown studio setup, we recently got a chance to get to know him a little more.

So what's up Mr. Nnxt, tell us about your screen name, what does Nnxt stand for or mean?

Nnxt is one of the samplers in Propellerheads Reason. I chose the name because at one point and time I was making my music with just 1 Nnxt sampler. I treated the Nnxt as if it were my old MPC 3000. My drums, basses, everything was mapped in 1 Nnxt.

Tell us about your setup.

I start off MCing and writing like most other beat makers and producers. I didn't have a problem paying for studio time and anything but for some reason (non pun intended) once I saw the process of how music was created I was hooked. I sat in studios and just soaked up everything. There we times where I'd buy studio time just to learn. It eventually got to a point where the owner said "look if you just want to hang out and see how things are done that's fine you don't have to pay". I thought that was very generous of the man so I did just that and eventually became a ghost producer for quite of a few producers.

My setup is probably floating around on the forums here but it's changed a little since then so here is my current setup:

• Delta 1010
  • MPC 1000
  • MPC 3000
  • SP 505
  • SP 303
  • Maschine
  • Spark Drum machine
  • Focusrite audio interface
  • Custom computers
  • Laptop
  • Mini Akai MIDI ontrollers
  • MPK49 controller
  • Whole Native Instruments Line
  • Alesis Monitors
  • Beyerdyanmic headphones
  • Technics 1200
  • Numark portable turntable
  • Vinyl records
  • Joe Meek preamp
  • Mackie 12 channel mixer
  • Pro Tools
I'm sure there is more but those are the ones I can remember.

Run us through your process for making beats.

My production process is pretty simple, I generally just sit down and make whatever I want. If it's in my head I can get it laid out. If I hear it I can replicate it. I normally build out of 8-bar hooks starting with the drums, melody and then the bass. After my track is done I'll experiment with difference processing chains. I do this for my own sound designing curiosity as well as for clients. I won't track anything through a preamp for a client unless the competition calls for it.

Let me give you an example. Let's say Fox News wants me to score for them. I'll just give the track a good mix (mostly leveling and very little EQ) and they are good with that but if project is for Warner, Native Instruments or some big label I'm tracking the sound because I want to give them upfront polished material.

One might think "shouldn't everyone get that?" the answer is no because all clients are different, the music done for a client like ESPN, BET and such don't need the same dynamics as Sony or other film companies.

I've noticed that you are really into designing sounds, tell us a little about that process?

It's really no different that creating music. What I do is sit down and craft the sounds I have in my head. If a client wants a specific sound let's says something that is popular on the radio then I sit down and make exactly what they want with different variations (for myself to shop to others)

What are your thoughts on the future of Hip Hop?

Hip Hop? Thought that died? No, seriously I don't see it moving anywhere but onto the next trend. There will always be a handful of golden era producers as well as a market for it.

Take us through a typical day in the life of Nnxt.

A typical day for me starts out late like around 1pm - 3pm. I'll wake up and check my email, see if there are any projects that I will need to start or any updates in the ones already started (takes about 10 minutes). Next, I'll jump in the shower, brush my teeth all that good stuff and start cooking (kids gets off from school around 3).

During this time I'll have my Android within earshot or on my person, these days I can run my entire opporation (business wise) right from my phone. I try to make it so all my projects are due at the end of month it's just easier for me to bs, spend more time with fam and manage that way.

I spend time with my family from 4pm - 12am, my daughter crashes at 9pm my son stays up with me and my wife (she's a painter) can't get that dude to sleep so he ends up watching cartoons or working on music himself.

From 12am - 4am (sometimes 6am) I'm on conference calls, producing and engaging in quality control with companies I'm doing projects for. Sometimes there is a little beta testing and other times it's working on the pay structure and getting a clear understanding of the project's requirements. This can get a little complicated when working with companies like in Japan because of the language barrier. It's very easy to take a common phrase incorrectly. 5am I'm cooked until again 1pm - 3pm and the from there it's the same thing all over again.

If you could pick any MC to spit on one of your tracks, who would it be and why?

None, did a lot of interning for various labels and I just can't take the drama that comes with that. I just don't have patience for artists. Don't get me wrong there are some great artists out there, I've just always hated the work that goes into working with them. I like to produce music and lease them to companies that's just my thing.

What are your ultimate goals in Hip Hop?

I have no goals when it comes to Hip Hop, music production (as a) whole on the other hand is a different story. My goal is to convert to film scoring, not just jingles but entire movies.

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
lol, damn this is my dude! Tell the kids they dont need recycle either, this and the M-class eq/compressor/maximizer are the only tools I ever use with reason.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Dope interview...

I like how he made it a point to say that you don't have to produce music for artists... Music production is more than a beat and vocals..