noob question

C

chens_83

just asking a question to how i can find samples and stuff. what software would be best to filter out certain frequencies so that i can just take one certain sound???
also i am intrigued by jazz breaks what certain period of jazz should i dig for including artists etc
i currently have cool edit and craked version of fruity

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For Jazz breaks, I can't really help you. :(

For software, you say you have Cool Edit, well that's a good one for editing (filtering). There's also Sound Forge.

If you're looking to take a certain sound from a recording, good luck! Lots of people want to do that but it can't really be done. The only thing you can do is mess with the EQ and filters, enough to sort of isolate the sound you're trying to get. If the sample is in stereo, maybe the sound is panned completely to the left or right, in which case it would be really easy to lift just that one sound.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
For jazz look for anything between 1960's-early 70's. but theres no limit, just look for what intrigues you.. go by covers someitme.s check out other kinda music too, not just jazz. theres alot of good shit out there.

C

chens_83

cool ..what type of stores are good to dig for vinyl...should there be libraries of this stuff ??? or just your second hand stores??

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Again, you have to go everywhere for vinyl.. flea markets, thrift shops, etc... just take a walk though the city one day and im sure you'll find something. look in the phone book too.. ok hope this helps. good luck digging.

p.s dont spend too much when you dig..

D

Devan Tha Dogen

the fun part

half the fun is finding good digging spots, you got to put in work to get the real goods.

or you could get mad lazy and download yourself some samples, but you don't have those nice looking covers to base your decision on.

you can limit some ranges of eq but it's hard to pick out one instrument on it's own, fucking wit the eq a bit is a good learning process,

as far a jazz breaks, some jazz drummers would be more hype than others, look for some max roach or even art blakey ish, both of them like to play a lot of kick in their solos whereas some drummers ie. ed thigpen , tend to center entirely on the ride cymbal and use the bass d. for more fills and spice.

sorry once i start sometimes i just get carried away, respect.

C

chens_83

really... i should remember that when i try to find some diggin spots as it would take a long time to listen to all traks