November 24-28, 2004 - USA ROUND 1: Cold Truth vs. Gram Green

• beat this! (may 1-2) signup begins in...

Who has the better beat?

• Cold Truth

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Gram Green

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Go here for all the info on the battles:
https://www.illmuzik.com/battlethat/index.php

Voting will begin Wednesday, November 24th at around 8am ET, and will end at 8pm ET. No cheating! I'll be looking out for people trying to signup under different names or getting other people to signup and vote for them.

Anyone can vote, as long as they're a member in the forums.

Please vote for who you think has the better overall beat.

Once the beats have been posted, go here to listen to them and see the entire bracket:
https://www.illmuzik.com/battlethat/battles.php

You can also discuss the Cold Truth vs. Gram Green battle in here.
This thread will be open when the battle starts.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I had to go with Truth on this match up. The track was hot, But Gram had some illness in his corner,,,Yo Gram, I don't know what it was but I think maybe the bass was a lil too much? I dunno, the track is still hot, the concept is dope.

Truth,,,that was some ol' laid back ish. I liked it alot.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
man this is a tough one, def one of the closest in the first round, both beats are good work ! i'm not sure who to give this one too tbh ............... ima come back to this one lol

i think i gotta go with gram on this one, i like colds beat but it just didnt jump out at me, i thought grams beat would be dope as a track with an mc etc !

VAKSEEN

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
dam thats some ol southern pimp $hit there truth. nice sounds.
thats real grimey there gram. i wouldve liked to hear the drums more but im def diggin the samp

this one was hard to pick but i think i gotta go with gram. it was real close cause of the drums not really hitting u like truth's but the sounds are sooooo grimey man

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Reviews

Cold Truth
Nice vibe on this. Snare a bit too loud (too much of a smack for me), but well placed instruments. The guitar panned left was a nice touch.

Gram Green
Don't take this the wrong way, but my first impression was that the track was just boring. I like the fact that you used some ethnic? sounds. Hahaha I like hearing that kind of stuff. I think why it seems boring to me is the horn/flute thing you got going on. Just makes it dull. The voice was a good addition though.

ill o.g.
Cold-
-That clap gives it a signature, i def can hear somebody makin a track out of this. Doesnt feel likea loop. It feels ALMOST more live. Maybe the acoustic guitar or somethin. this is nice.

Gram-
-This has a different time signature. It was confusin me for a minute. Some of the instruments i wasnt feelin. I like the beat though, but it just didnt feel real complete to me. Your def goin in your own direction though. Keep it up.

Cold gets my vote.

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wow these beats are really different. two totally different vibes there going for. nice work on both parts. i think im feelin the more chilled out abstract vibe that gram is workin with tho, ima have to go with him on this one...

MR_P

!
ill o.g.
Cold! Nice man, like the clap position, feelin it! Like the changes too, great work man!

Gram! Really different man, feeling it though, got some real funk to it. Real nice work!

Im going with Cold here but good luck to you both!

It still cracks me up that you to got paired up!!! LOL

Peace Guys

P

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
all i got to say... is much respect to gram, i am glad he brought something new to the table, i think we both came from left field with these two tracks...plus, its a great synth vs sample battle, if you assk me!

anyhow.... thanks to those who voted for me.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Gave it to Cold. Honestly I liked Gram's better but after thinking about it I decided i liked the potential it had cause it had some dope samples. I didn't like the vocal sample but the instruments were dope. I just didn't care for the arrangement.

That bass and organ was working. I don't know what that sound was for the high hat pattern...maybe some guitar strums or something but that fit nice. I just didn't know about those hand claps.

Dope show fellas...

A

ACEBEATZ

Cold : Pros : The track sound clear as every sound got is own space in the mix. Good sequencing, sound are melt together...

Cons : No real cons here.

Gram : Pros : The vibe is cool, grimy kinda beats, poppin rhymes.

Cons : The mix is kinda muffle, away in the speakers. But it's not determinant for me as i said in another vote.

Verdict : Cold Truth got it on this one for me for overall dopeness.

My choice is - COLD TRUTH - ...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Cold...Great beat man!.....Love the Hammond. EQ'd real well....Drums got a nice crack.

Gram...This is a really detailed beat if you listen closely....great sample flipage....I like the Dark chord structure and the way you worked the perc. lotta variation.

Dam this ones hard man.........

SuPa'PrOduZa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nice Job guys.

Gram: This has a 'soundtrack' feel to it. I can hear this in an action or conspiracy scene in a movie...[believe me, the $check$ for a 40 second spot in a movie got my rent paid for 1yr and half]. It's suspenseful, 'almost' off beat, but not quite. Held together tough.

Cold: Sounds like you did some automation there @ the begining. Nice. Mix sounds good using up the entire stereo spectrum. Musically it blends together just right. My only problem would be the level of that snare...it's too much. Kinda gave me a headache..I'm not kidding :eek:uch: :-\ Everything is hot though.

This one is tough to Judge. But, because Cold made me go to the medicine cabinet..I'll give it to SoundtrackGram...Congrats Yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.