Old school hiphop and where the hell did they get these sounds from?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Ok my question here is about mostly LL cool J's Rock the Bells first the original.
Where did they get the sample from on the chorus? It sounds like abunch of shouting and some gogo drums goin on in the background.
I have been wanting to know where they got that since it came out.
The remix or the long version also had a different type of agogo thing goin on , where is that from.
Run-DMC also had in hit it Run some bells or somthing in the chorus that I would like to know where they came from.
Just wondering.... If you know I expect the old school heads to know what Im talking about and possibly know what the samples were.
Big D?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Trouble Funk
Eu Experience Unlimited
Go find some old Trouble Funk and you get all of those drums....like I told someone awhile ago, many of the patterns that you hear on the old skool transposed to drum machines and hip hop came straight from the Go Go that was out back in the 80's we are talking 80-87 or so time period a lot from a few years after but that is the years I would concentrate on...you can find some old wax or search for mp3's but they did quite a few songs on Sugar Hill records on Vinyl if you digging the breaks but there are literally Thousands of dope breaks from gogo.....

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
^Thanks D thats funny somhow I knew you would respond cause you got the answers on alot of old school stuff.
I have been wondering for bout 20 years about that...(GD 20 yrs!) Trouble funk, gonna check that out.
LOL somone must've called you and said I asked for you...lol that was quick bra...
Thanks again. If anyone else has any obscure oldschool samples they wnat to know about maybe this would be a good place to post....
And D reading that where you were talking about agogo having that influence is what got me thinkin about it...

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Thousands of dope breaks from gogo.....

sad thing is that most cats underestimate and sleep on GoGo. the percussions in GoGo are crazy!. if you ever find yourself wanting to find a means of switching up your drum programming or get open to different combos and what not..GoGo will never fail you.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
K new question...Important, does anyone know where the first time on what song the
"AWWW This Stuff Is REALLY Fresh" was used? AND how the hell did they get the vocals to sound like that AND does anyone know who the hell said it... Probably the most scratched sound in the worlld is that "AWWW"!
Im thinkin UTFO was not the first to do this.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
O

open mind

WTF is "GOGO" is that a band a music genre a song or wut?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
open mind said:
live band music that is a
Genre, signature is heavy percussion, covers songs redone to it and original, real funky ish, and also a noun(gogo is the event, the party the place, the thing ya dig)
couple of links
http://www.tmottgogo.com/wtgo.html
http://www.papalace.com/

some of the breaks that we talking about on wax may have been earlier forms, and also more radio ready also, thats what I would dig for though 80's - early 90's era, the links are the newer sounds of right now how gogo sounds.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
open mind said:
"A question a child might ask, but not a childish question...."

(for those old enough to remember the commercial for the time/life vietnam war series).
Good link BigD

Anyone else know where the "AWWW this Stuff is REALLLY FRESH" thing originated from?
First time I ever heard it was on UTFO's first album. Anty history I can get on this would be helpful.
Just like that whistle everybody uses I first heard on Whistles album.

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
open mind said:

What is GOGO?! Damn damn damn............. Well......some folks in the great depression didnt even know it was one, so I guess its ok to not know what GO GO is. Do some research on it though, the deep you dig the more you will fall in love with it. As a matter of fact, start with Chuck Brown and go from there.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Relic said:
K new question...Important, does anyone know where the first time on what song the
"AWWW This Stuff Is REALLY Fresh" was used? AND how the hell did they get the vocals to sound like that AND does anyone know who the hell said it... Probably the most scratched sound in the worlld is that "AWWW"!
Im thinkin UTFO was not the first to do this.

Nope. It was done by a french group and I can't remember the name of the group or song. I remember the record label was silver. My mentor at the time, (1987), had 2 copies on 12-inch. I will ask him the next time I talk to him and post the name on here if he still remembers.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Fab Five Freddy is who originated the phrase I believe, then it was scratched up, I think like DJ Infinite states there was also a french version but you can get it on CD now at amazon too, these cats were linked up with Afrika Bambaata and Zulu nation too.
The Label that they were signed to was called Celluloid Records- 1982-86 era
Disc two track, 1 & 2, "Change the Beat"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIXCEQ/103-5082878-4510220?v=glance&n=5174
One of the most cutting edge, movement-defining and progressive labels of all time was Celluloid Records, a New York-based label headed by a musical scout/musician by the name of Bill Laswell. (I have some sample libraries from this guy) This comprehensive 2 CD set is a collection of the N.Y. cult label for the period of 1982-1986. Includes important and collectable 12-inch singles by Afrika Bambaataa's side project Time Zone, Grandmixer D.ST, Fab Five Freddy, Futura 2000 w/The Clash, Shango, Manu Dibango & Deadline. Other musicians and singers include Jaco Pastorius, Jimi Hendrix, Herbie Hancock, Robert Musso (Material), Jalaluddin M. Nuriddin (Last Poets), Bernie Worrell, Wunderwerke, Bill Laswell, Bernard Fowler and Nicky Skopelitis.

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Fab Five Freddy is who originated the phrase I believe, then it was scratched up, I think like DJ Infinite states there was also a french version but you can get it on CD now at amazon too, these cats were linked up with Afrika Bambaata and Zulu nation too.
The Label that they were signed to was called Celluloid Records- 1982-86 era
Disc two track, 1 & 2, "Change the Beat"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIXCEQ/103-5082878-4510220?v=glance&n=5174
One of the most cutting edge, movement-defining and progressive labels of all time was Celluloid Records, a New York-based label headed by a musical scout/musician by the name of Bill Laswell. (I have some sample libraries from this guy) This comprehensive 2 CD set is a collection of the N.Y. cult label for the period of 1982-1986. Includes important and collectable 12-inch singles by Afrika Bambaataa's side project Time Zone, Grandmixer D.ST, Fab Five Freddy, Futura 2000 w/The Clash, Shango, Manu Dibango & Deadline. Other musicians and singers include Jaco Pastorius, Jimi Hendrix, Herbie Hancock, Robert Musso (Material), Jalaluddin M. Nuriddin (Last Poets), Bernie Worrell, Wunderwerke, Bill Laswell, Bernard Fowler and Nicky Skopelitis.

That was it. "Change The Beat". And it was Fab 5 Freddy. I believe the French version was on the 12 inch. It's been a while since I have seen that record. I was 19 back in '87 the last time I saw it. LOL - duh, confused. Thanks for putting that up. (Memories like a mutha-fucka).

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
BigD is def on point! The actual phrase is on tha B-side where the french girl does the rapping. Her name is Beside.
On the cover it says that they used an OBXA synth, a DMX drum machine, an 8-string bass, and some bells.
Here's some pix of the record and jacket.
Yes, I have the original joint you crumbs! HA!HA!:laugh:
ONE

Attachments

• FAB5#1.JPG
    FAB5#1.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 147
  • FAB5#2.JPG
    FAB5#2.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 141
  • FAB5#3.JPG
    FAB5#3.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 137

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
BigD is def on point! The actual phrase is on tha B-side where the french girl does the rapping. Her name is Beside.
On the cover it says that they used an OBXA synth, a DMX drum machine, an 8-string bass, and some bells.
Here's some pix of the record and jacket.
Yes, I have the original joint you crumbs! HA!HA!:laugh:
ONE

LMAO! That's the shit, homie. I haven't seen that record in almost 20 years. Holy shit. Good fuckin lookin on dat shit fo real. :)