Interviews P_1

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
p11.jpg

P_1 is one of IllMuzik veterans. Literally. He first signed up back in 2001, and was one of the very few members that hung around and helped shape IllMuzik into the site it is today. He recently won the Beat This! Competition after having entered numerous times. Now he takes a time out to tell us a bit about himself.

What's up P1, tell us a bit about yourself.

What's up Fade. A little about me huh? Well I'm a 24 year old producer from Long Beach, California. That's 15 minutes south of L.A. for the homies who don't know. Producing and making music is a big part of my life and I love doing it.

What's it like in your area? How's the music scene lately?

My area is filled with different types of people. Blacks, Latinos, Samoans, Koreans, Filipino's and we all pretty much get along. That's until you talk about music. I think right now the LA scene is pretty wack. You've got underground artists who try to sound like they're from the south. Lingo, lyrics, the way they rap, everything. It's sickening. A lot of youngins don't know good music anymore. But, also, if you dig deep into the LA scene, you'll find a lot of talent showcasing around. There are a lot of heads that do shows around here that are really talented and actually have something to say. Overall, I think the scene needs our Ill-members from the LA to come strong. Then maybe I'd stop complaining.

I remember when you signed on to Ill a few years back, what was your name then? (hehee)

Hahahahaha! Fuckin' Fade! Man I was called Asian Delight coz I made the ladies crave for more. LOL. But yeah I remember when it was just you, me, Pug, and that other dude I don't remember anymore who used to post. Nobody else used to post. We even had a chat room back then where we could chat, and sure enough, it was always the four of us....... Just us....... no one else..... So gimme some of that money FADE! LOL.

Yeah that was WAY back in the day, it was almost a ghost town. What attracted you to the site back then?

I guess it was a lot less clutter than the "other" site. There was a sense of togetherness with the people in it too. Even today, you can still sense that people here are family. Nobody's trying to out do the next guy. That's what made me keep coming back.

It's nice to see member stick around for so long, even if you just chill in the background most of the time. When did you first starting producing?

Yea I stay in the background because I don't want to get into some of the BS that used to go around here. Also, I am deep into my college career right now so I tend to just read a couple of posts here and there and just be on my way. As far as when I started producing......? I think I started right around the time I found this site. 2001 I think. I still have my first beat actually. I posted it on the showcase forum and I got clowned by... GUESS WHO???? FADE, PUG, AND THAT OTHER GUY I DON'T REMEMBER. But, I've come a long way since then.

p12.jpg

You definitely have. How much time do you spend on making beats?

Well lately I've been easing back on the time that I spend making beats for the sole reason that life is getting in the way. Nothing bad, just everyday stressors that need to be attended to before anything else. Music definitely gives me that relaxation element that is needed in everyone's life. So lately I've just been having more sex to supplement the loss of time in the lab. LOL.

What's your technique? How do you come up with ideas for your next beat?

WHEW!!! Tell you honestly, I just sit there, play PS2 and let the records play in the background. Some days I'll hear something and some days I'll fall asleep listening to them. I really have no technique. I could either start with the drums or start with the sample. I'm more concerned about the final product.

Once you make your initial loop, how long do you wait until you completely finish the beat?

To finish the beat I usually take a couple of days, do the loop, let it sit and marinate, come back to it and add more things to it or take things away. It all depends. I think a beat is never finished without the vocals anyway. So in a sense, most of my beats are un-done. ANY MC'S WANNA COLLAB?? OR PURCHASE A BEAT?? You can credit me as Asian Delite. And if you do, I'll steal your girl away from you. LOL.

Do you have big dreams of being in the business? Or is this just a hobby?

It's not just a hobby for me. I've had opportunities to get in the door but I've chose not to with the people I've come in contact with. They just irritate the fuck outta me when they say, "You got some hot shit!!! But can you make something like this??" (Playing Laffe Taffe) And I'm talking about West Coast labels. What ever happened to the west coast sound?

Did you ever WANT to get into the business? Or was it a hobby all along?

I tried for the hardest the last 2 years. I contacted labels to see if they were interested in purchasing beats and all that but the labels out here in LA have been pretty stagnant. Maybe that's why you don't hear too much good music coming out of the left coast nowadays. I got a lot of, "you got any raggaeton music"? LOL. So I just eased back on it and decided to just take a break from it. But my hunger is still there. I just need to take care of some other things right now.

What's your setup?

My setup is FL 6, Adobe Audition 2 with a Trigger Finger, MIDI Keyboard, Sample Tank, Behringher BFC 2000, Presonus Tube Pre, SM 57 mic, Rhode NT1, and 3 Fender Rhodes guitars with Vox amplifiers. I think I spent more on those than my beat setup but my pops loves 'em too so it's all good.

So you play the guitar? Tell us more about that.

The guitar. Man that's one of my passions right there. I love playing it but I can never come up with something that I can incorporate into my beats. My pops is a God on the guitar. 60's, 70's you name the song and he can play it for you instantly. Matter of fact, I think I should hire him to do my guitar riffs on my beats. LOL.

What about the Trigger Finger? How is it?

The finger is good. It pretty much makes your computer setup like an MPC. I hate that debate but I guess to each his own. The right programs can emulate what the MPC does and it's just a matter of how you freak it. It's skill that makes the producer, not his tools.

Have you ever had any accidents in the lab where you ended up losing all your work on a particular beat?

YES!!!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!! And it cost me money and a deal. LOST EVERYTHINGGGGGG!!!! Samples that were already chopped, layered, and ready to go. So boys and girls, please back your shit up.

What was it that happened exactly?

A minor label here wanted me to track out 2 of my beats for purchasing. When I went home to start on it, I noticed my computer was on the fritz. I tried everything to get the beats back. My brother is a geek even, and he couldn't do anything. So I had to re-install Windows and...well... you know what's next. I had to tell dude that I didn't have it and that turned them off. So ladies... please back that shit up.

p13.jpg

What do you think of today's music industry? How has it changed for you?

I would like to say it's all garbage, but it really isn't. As far as hiphop, we have a choice. I made a choice not to listen to radio. Good music is out there. We just have to find it. And, as producers, we tend to be too critical with the music. Just don't even think of how they made that cowbell sound like a guitar. Just sit back and enjoy the music. Because in the end, that's all it should be about.

What type of music do you listen to besides hiphop?

Jazz, the Ventures, the Shadows, a lot instrumentals from the 60's. I listen to pop radio too. I don't listen to the urban stations coz they're too watered down.

Will you be competing in the Beat This! Competition again?

YEZZURR!!! I need to get more "b's" to my name. I got some more heat.

Do you have any advice for the newbies out there just starting to make beats?

Don't listen to any negative people. Don't let your homeboys make you think that you're the shit either. Take constructive criticism to heart. Those are the suggestions that WILL help you. Oh, and come to ILLMUZIK because this site helps out a lot. I should know.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Waddup Fade, Waddup Ma, Waddup producers of IllMuzik. Keep making me stay sharp with your good music.