Patterns and Bars???

• Thread starter Styles Platinum
  • Start date
S

Styles Platinum

I'm really confused about this bar length thing. When I lay down a pattern in Fruity, I go to the upper left corner and drag the from "--" up to "8" which I'm assuming is eight bars. In the playlist though, there are numbers across the top going by odd numbers: 1,3,5,....and so on. I thought these were bar numbers as well. However, when I lay down one of my "eight bar" patterns, it only spans two of these spaces in the playlist. Now I'm not sure which one - the step sequencer or the playlist - actually represents the bar length. I've tried basing it on the step sequencer bar length, but my songs always seem to be really short so I'm beginning to think it's the playlist numbers that are right.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
the 1,3,5 are actually pattern numbers.....bars have to do with the length of a pattern....you could have an 8 bar sequence for pattern 1...you can assign an intro for instance to pattern 1, create another pattern and assign to pattern 3.....and the third to 5 then you can go in the playlist and string them together into a song.....hope this helps

benny beatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
that number that you pulled to 8 is the number of beats in the pattern. there are 4 beats in a bar. so it is 2 bars

S

Styles Platinum

bigdmakintrax said:
the 1,3,5 are actually pattern numbers.....bars have to do with the length of a pattern....you could have an 8 bar sequence for pattern 1...you can assign an intro for instance to pattern 1, create another pattern and assign to pattern 3.....and the third to 5 then you can go in the playlist and string them together into a song.....hope this helps

I think you and me aren't on the same page here. I know what you're talking about - the pattern numbers though are on the side. I'm referring to the numbers across the top of the playlist that go across horizontally.

Anyone?

S

Styles Platinum

benny beatz said:
that number that you pulled to 8 is the number of beats in the pattern. there are 4 beats in a bar. so it is 2 bars

I'm actually using FL Studio so the setup is a bit different from Fruity Loops 3. Also, I usually have thirty two "beats" - I'm assuming this means steps in the step sequencer. Someone I talked to told me there are actually 16 beats in a bar so what I've really been using is 2 bars.

Can anyone verify this?

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Styles Platinum said:
Someone I talked to told me there are actually 16 beats in a bar so what I've really been using is 2 bars.

Can anyone verify this?

WHAT?!?!?
16 BEATS IN A BAR???

A BAR iS A MEASUREMENT oF 4 CoUNTS.
(oNE, 2, 3, 4, TWo, 2, 3, 4, THREE, 2, 3, 4, FoUR, 2, 3, 4)

i CANT REALLY EXPLAiN iT BUT EVERYoNE HAS THESE CRAZY THEoRiES oN BAR CoUNTS, A BAR iS A SiMPLE CoUNT To 4, iTS A MEASUREMENT oF TiME.
i USE FL STUDiO AND i CAN SAY THAT iF YoU EXTEND THE PLAYLiST WiTH THE BoX UNDER THE "x" (CLoSE) THE EVEN NUMBERS APPEAR WHiCH MAKES iT EASiER To CoUNT THE BARS.BUT iF YoU STiLL HAVE iT SET To WHERE oNLY THE oDD NUMBERS 1, 3, 5, So oN APPEAR THAN oNE oF THoSE BoXES REPRESENT A SiNGLE BAR. FROM 1 To 5 is A STANDARD FoUR BAR CoUNT AND THE SHADES OF THE GRID CHANGES EVERY FoUR BARS, So iF YoUR EVER CoNFUSED YoU CAN REFER To THAT.

RELEASE;

S

Styles Platinum

Guevara said:
WHAT?!?!?
16 BEATS IN A BAR???

A BAR iS A MEASUREMENT oF 4 CoUNTS.
(oNE, 2, 3, 4, TWo, 2, 3, 4, THREE, 2, 3, 4, FoUR, 2, 3, 4)

i CANT REALLY EXPLAiN iT BUT EVERYoNE HAS THESE CRAZY THEoRiES oN BAR CoUNTS, A BAR iS A SiMPLE CoUNT To 4, iTS A MEASUREMENT oF TiME.
i USE FL STUDiO AND i CAN SAY THAT iF YoU EXTEND THE PLAYLiST WiTH THE BoX UNDER THE "x" (CLoSE) THE EVEN NUMBERS APPEAR WHiCH MAKES iT EASiER To CoUNT THE BARS.BUT iF YoU STiLL HAVE iT SET To WHERE oNLY THE oDD NUMBERS 1, 3, 5, So oN APPEAR THAN oNE oF THoSE BoXES REPRESENT A SiNGLE BAR. FROM 1 To 5 is A STANDARD FoUR BAR CoUNT AND THE SHADES OF THE GRID CHANGES EVERY FoUR BARS, So iF YoUR EVER CoNFUSED YoU CAN REFER To THAT.

RELEASE;

Thanks for clearing that up.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
.....a bar for all intensive purpose is exactly what Guevarra explained, however, a bar can have more than 4 counts depending upon the time signature....but as far as production and having an MC like about 99% I know that uses the 4 count......but to specifically address your question you cleared up that I wasn't on the same page on...LOL....the numbers that go across the playlist horizontally in fruity loops are bars.