PC laptop for audio production

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i need me a portable production solution and i wanna be able to use acid pro, so i gotta get a pc laptop.....i posted on cnet.com asking those eggheads what the best laptop would be for audio production, and one dude said that the sound from laptops is horrible....and then my friends dad said that the audio quality from a laptop would be dependant on the soundcard that it has.......can anyone here gimme their opinions?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
yeah most of it will come down to the soundcard. u shud get lots of ram on ur laptop tho.

and soundcards that come with laptops are wack , so ud have to get an external one cuz am not sure if laptop soundcards are upgradeable

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i used to make beats on a laptop, and the soundcard in mine was pretty bad, its usually the cheap sort made for PC gaming etc... and soundcards are very hard to fit on a laptop.

the best thing to do, as Afrique said, would be to get a good quality external soundcard, and hook everything up through that. or just get a good powerful PC.

oh yeh and the speakers on laptops are so wack it aint even funny.

sAfE.

E

Equality 7-2521

if your going to get a laptop, check that you dont get get RFI and EFI noise when it is plugged into the mains power. otherwise you will only be able to run it on battery.

also, make sure you have a firewire port for a firewire soundcard interface. otherwise the Echo Indigo PCMCIA TypeII cards are dope.

to be honest, a mac would be your best bet.

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
yeah i agree a mac is best for audio and it is also a very stable system. They are pricey but worth it in my opinion.

SyN

SUICYCO MANIA
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
a mac would be your best way to go... but if you are going with the pc laptop... go for a toshiba with a P4 in it... also, try to get one with firewire as said before... the firewire interfaces go allot further than what a usb one can do... also... those indigo cards are pretty dope... sound pretty decent... and they make one that is just an output card so that you can use it just for monitoring when you dont want to have your firewire interface hooked up while you are taking your laptop around with you and writing... i am personally working on a Mac G4 Titanium... i wouldnt go any other way, until i upgrade to a newer Mac at least

A

ACEBEATZ

Read this man

TachyonFresh said:
i need me a portable production solution and i wanna be able to use acid pro, so i gotta get a pc laptop.....i posted on cnet.com asking those eggheads what the best laptop would be for audio production, and one dude said that the sound from laptops is horrible....and then my friends dad said that the audio quality from a laptop would be dependant on the soundcard that it has.......can anyone here gimme their opinions?

A good pc laptop will do the job. Dont burn your new Visa platinum man! If you use your laptop for audio only and you dont plug internet AND you dont use those crappy ***** downloaded cracked verson software, YOUR FUCKIN PC will stay stable. YEAH a mac is better but is shit expensive. And more for a mac laptop!!!

Like they said below, firewire is more faster than usb. So it's a good choice to buy a firewire interface. Plus, you'll never get any noise with an interface. Anyway, there is no soundcard for laptop built for music except interfaces.

Try the m-audio firewire on M-audio website (plus you got two nice mic pre on it!!). www.m-audio.com

You'll never go wrong with M-audio and they're products aren't expensive. By the same time, check for BX5 monitors : they're great sounding, portable and amplified.

I can give you a trick to build a portable booth : Buy 5-6 thick curtains at your local army supply (you know those gray curtains). Ask ya mama to stitch 3 togheter 2 times so you'll have 2 really thick curtain. You just got to hang up these curtains in a corner where you will want to record to form a 4X4 square approximately. should be about 7 feet high, leavin 2-3 feet over the top, so it will not sound boxy. IT WORKS GREAT trust me.

members online