Producing,Contracts,Royalties,Copyright,ect.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hopefully someone can help me out, I been searching the net but I can't find all the answers I need.

1. If you have a track that has a copyrighted sample in it and someone wants to purchase it, do you have them pay to get the sample cleared or do you do it yourself and include it in the price?? I know it depends on the sample but how much could this cost??

2. If you produce a demo or album that helps an artist get signed and you did it for a favor or even if you sold them the beats, should you ask for some sort of compensation??

3. Do production contracts = slavery??

4. If a major label or a big independent label wanted to buy a track that had a copyrighted sample in it like my first question, would you get them to pay the clearence of the sample??

5. Would it be smart if you asked a label for a certain amount of money for a beat, say $20,000 and they said they would give you $10,000 and you were like this other company said they would pay me at least $15,000, would that be dumb?? Im thinking take the 10 but i dont know??

if you can help me out let me know!

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The record company is responsible for clearing the sample before release not you, just let them know who it is after they cut the check.

Production contracts vary, some are slavery some are good

Get a decent attorney, that can explain the contract to you
starting new ,
Get your publishing if you can, but for 10,000 being a new producer you probally wont get your publishing, but you can take less up front and get the back end. But starting up I'd take tha fa sho money.

And man take that 10 and run.dont be greedy, I know a guy that gave luda 40 tracks and got no dough, he just hoping one makes an ablum that sells good.

Question 2 is a moral personal issue, but most time the A&R will issist that the producer do some tracks for that artist if yall work good togther, and if the songs you did got him signed,but if not just let it go are get a production/ demo contract on artist you help in the future that basically says that if they get signed off the demo you produce ,you get so and so. Whatever yall agree on.

My advice comes from just being around people thats making a few moves and some reading.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks soundboy...some of these situation may be about to take place with me, thats why im asking..i already got the lawyer, my cousin is one in the A, and she lookin to get into entertainment..so she will prolly represent me! lol..holla

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i cant give you a profeesional answer on any of these... but congrats for your recent successes... i told you that u been bringnin heat lately..apparently i wasn't the only one thought that..lol

1) - no idea

2) just ask your boy that u be involved in future projects with the label( if he's ur boy) if he's not ur boy then its really up to him iguess.

3) depends .. ur a smart guy and u got alwyer so i cant see you gettin diced that bad

4) again no idea..i say at least try to get them to do it.. they probably can do it easiert than you anyway iwth their quicker connections

5)if this is ur first big project..dont be to greedy..if ur somewhat established and heads know you..then you can asks for more...also you gotta think is that one of your gems or can you bang out tracks as good as that one all the time.

again its just adice dont live by it if u dont want to... but congrats again pboy ..

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man, if i could make even ONE G offa beat i'd be a happy man. I've sold like 3 for 1000$ before but strickly to indie labels and other artists. I really need some connections to the big ears.

1) Whoever intends to release and consequently make profit off a piece of music is also responsible for making sure there are no copyright issues. so the label should handle that shit

2)a favor is a favor...but any mans who doesn't repay a favor shouldn't be gettin none either...its up to you guys u know...

3) i know a few guys who have nice production contracts...they're makin dough..READ THE FINE PRINT

4) see question 1

5) if im dealin with someone who can be a great contact in the future, i dont worry so much bout the money. the most important thing in thiz bis i find is RELATIONSHIPS...gotta have a good rapport wit those that make the decisions. I'd give em a beat or two on some lowprices, that way the next time they sittin back needin beats they'll go "oooh we should go fuck wit dude cuz he cool like that" and there you go..nobody ever tells their friend about a greedy producer no matter how hot his beats are

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
This should clear things up please read.

1. I believe that the artist clears the samples using the money advanced to him by the company. Most of time, you call up the sampled artist or his management, and work it out. In some instances, it can take forever, other times its easy. The owner of the copyrighted sample would basically name his/her price. In cases of copyright infringement, the artist in most cases would get sued by the artist that was sampled, and the record company would pay it (which you the artist would have to pay back) I suggest you read up on "copyrights" and copyright infringement to broaden your understanding (real important in this biz!!).

2. . If you produce a demo or album that helps an artist get signed and you did it for a favor or even if you sold them the beats, should you ask for some sort of compensation??

2. This is the music BUSINESS. You should always have your agreements/favors placed on contract and have it reviewed by an attorney. A lotta local/hometown producers tend to draw up an arrangement where they fund all studio costs/recording in the exchange for future profits if the artists blow up.
Nelly and the Lunatics, Juvenile, and 50 Cent were all in arrangements such as that. Wendy Day negotiated the historic deal for Cash Money, and when they didn't give her any loot (she did them a "favor") , she went to court and tried to sue.

3. My friend, all contracts in which you do not have the
upper hand=slavery. Any contract in which you split the profit with the company=partnership. If you are successful at this biz, a partnership is ideal however you should DEFINITELY know that the most important concepts to grasp in the industry are Publishing and Copyrights. A contract is only bad when you are not aware--educate yourself and you'll protect yourself and make dough.

4. If a major label or a big independent label wanted to buy a track that had a copyrighted sample in it like my first question, would you get them to pay the clearence of the sample??

4. All recording costs are included in the artist's "Advance". However, if the artists is severely "in-the-red" (owes company money), the company will not include the track on the album. Camron had a joint with DMX on Confessions of Fire that didn't make the album because the cost of the sample was above the overall recording budget.

5. Would it be smart if you asked a label for a certain amount of money for a beat, say $20,000 and they said they would give you $10,000 and you were like this other company said they would pay me at least $15,000, would that be dumb?? Im thinking take the 10 but i dont know??

5. If you are charging that much for a beat and you don't have a lawyer and business advisors,
you are either A.) Very not smart (I'm not here to diss you or call you stupid)
or B.) Not being truthful.
But it don't matter anyway, check it--you need to read more books about the industry before you sign ANYTHING!!!!!! Don't be in a hurry to
sign the dotted line. Hope this helps you and anybody else trying to learn the "other side" of music.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
pboyproducer:

The type of questions you are asking show me that you lack experience that may not suit you well in any sort of negotiation you wish to propagate yourself.

My best advice to you is to seek legal representation. You obviously do not have a full grasp on the items talked of, and it is important that legal counsel should advise you.

As the poster above me stated, with money talked of ($20,000) per beat, you need some sort of counsel.

SHADEED:

Regarding favours, you can't always make up a contract for every favour you do for somebody. If I would do that, I wouldn't have many connections, it's a give-take situation. I believe it's an important judgment call on the person, and the way you wish to continue to do a relationship with a person. It's a music business, but it's also about relationships and connections. So it's a thin line.

Sincerely,
God

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Originally posted by pboyproducer
Hopefully someone can help me out, I been searching the net but I can't find all the answers I need.

1. If you have a track that has a copyrighted sample in it and someone wants to purchase it, do you have them pay to get the sample cleared or do you do it yourself and include it in the price?? I know it depends on the sample but how much could this cost??

2. If you produce a demo or album that helps an artist get signed and you did it for a favor or even if you sold them the beats, should you ask for some sort of compensation??

if you can help me out let me know!
Sorry to go off topic a little dog but I told you I think ya shit is hot fo real and hope you make it dog.:clap:

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im not sellin any beats for 20,000, i was just throwing numbers out there, as far as the legal representation, i know you never make any major deals without lawyers present, im a business major for God's sake! lol...but the music business is a lot more shady and tricky then other types of business, thats why i was asking.

members online