Question for trap producers... how to get 808s consistent across various sound systems?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
You cant disregard good information cause you think it fucked you up, its information like this that gives you the knowledge of what sounds good in the first place, before actively doing music, as a listener you wouldnt know why something sounds good or not. From what you say you still use the lesson because you say "uncomfortable" but it is just caution in problem areas and you know this before hand, it is wise caution. As you know after learning the ranges then you cant start bending the rules, there would be no ai mastering etc if this information wasnt true and all mixing engineers with successful careers will give this same information. I didnt come up with it.
I wasn't attacking you nor any of the info you gave.

Just the kinda hard and fast "cut here boost here" - how can you advise on a sound that doesn't exist!

In many engineer circles we have discussed this.

Listen to the mixes here - there are some fucking shocking ones. Like, mixes you would actually have to TRY to make them sound so bad. You literally couldn't make as bad a mix if you didn't even touch anything.

Why?

Because people go "oh this is my guitar. You have to boost 3k for presence cut here for mud" "oh on this I have to boost this and boost thay and cut this" "I also have to compress with these settings"

It encourages "you must do this" mentality. It's not about me. It's screwed up many.

Come here someone synth piercing everyone's ears... advice "your synth is too harsh" "I boosted it for presence" ... but it already had presence. Probably should have cut it. But the graphs say boost. So they just boost because "you have to boost for presence.

And it then becomes a case of having to UNLEARN.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
I wasn't attacking you nor any of the info you gave.

Just the kinda hard and fast "cut here boost here" - how can you advise on a sound that doesn't exist!

In many engineer circles we have discussed this.

Listen to the mixes here - there are some fucking shocking ones. Like, mixes you would actually have to TRY to make them sound so bad. You literally couldn't make as bad a mix if you didn't even touch anything.

Why?

Because people go "oh this is my guitar. You have to boost 3k for presence cut here for mud" "oh on this I have to boost this and boost thay and cut this" "I also have to compress with these settings"

It encourages "you must do this" mentality. It's not about me. It's screwed up many.

Come here someone synth piercing everyone's ears... advice "your synth is too harsh" "I boosted it for presence" ... but it already had presence. Probably should have cut it. But the graphs say boost. So they just boost because "you have to boost for presence.

And it then becomes a case of having to UNLEARN.
Some of my favourite songs have shocking mixes, the question was about 808s, i understand the purist mentality but no one said cut or boost anything. Mixes here are for feedback no? no one is presenting them as professional. But you arent unlearning anything just changing your understanding of the information which is still a fact. These circles imply you are a professional?
I understand your point but dont see how venting it here is helpful.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Some of my favourite songs have shocking mixes, the question was about 808s, i understand the purist mentality but no one said cut or boost anything. Mixes here are for feedback no? no one is presenting them as professional. But you arent unlearning anything just changing your understanding of the information which is still a fact. These circles imply you are a professional?
I understand your point but dont see how venting it here is helpful.
Dw. Do you

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
I'm still learning. Always learning. Top pros are too.

But it's fine. I see here who doesn't want my advice, that's fine, it's gone.

Love.
No one said they dont want your advice, i basically agreed with what you said in the first place, you challenged my post for a second time and seem to be just dick swinging instead of being helpful

Last edited:
Lots of great comments already.

You need more harmonics (with distortion), or better yet, swap out for a juicier sample. The better the starting sample, the better the end results.

When mixing, every so often, disconnect from your studio speakers and produce on your computer's built in speakers to hear how your mix will sound on a bluetooth speaker, or crappy car speakers. Reference a few times an hour, at the very least.

Make sure nothing else masks the key root notes and harmonic frequencies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Download Vital and learn how to create your own 808 bass sound and then add some saturation or use a distortion FX plugin. Understanding sound design will help you go along way. Once you master that, you can create a custom tailored bass sound that will compliment any type of beat versus spending hours searching for the right 808/bass sound.

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Download Vital and learn how to create your own 808 bass sound and then add some saturation or use a distortion FX plugin. Understanding sound design will help you go along way. Once you master that, you can create a custom tailored bass sound that will compliment any type of beat versus spending hours searching for the right 808/bass sound.

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Vital looks cool (the website and marketing at least). I'll check it out!

Reactions: VVS

members online