Record Label

Souf_breh

ill o.g.
ayo wos good Illmuzik ,

ive been thinking for months about making a label.Reason is ive seen alot of big underground artists with talent just being wasted.Here comes the hard part,

Could i make a label name then a website and get artists together to put beats on the site
just a promotional ting ?

Would i then have to goto and apply for a business license and register the label as an offical company so all income would goto that label?

How would i also go about copyrighting the songs ?

Then obviously it would be the last part of having a studio for the artists which will be the big cost in all this

help much apriciated people

~1~

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Buy and read the book "Everything you need to know about the music business" by Donald L. Passman.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ Word. Additionally you have to understand that you have to have a staff to help run the label which is a bigger cost AND you need connections in the industry with distributers and managers and more shit than I can think of right now.
I was gona do it after doin all the paperwork and getttin the studio , website, artists, songs I decided we are better off as a production co until I get further"in" and actually know what Im doin from experience.
Def get that book.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Souf_breh said:
ayo wos good Illmuzik ,

ive been thinking for months about making a label.Reason is ive seen alot of big underground artists with talent just being wasted.Here comes the hard part,

Could i make a label name then a website and get artists together to put beats on the site
just a promotional ting ?

Would i then have to goto and apply for a business license and register the label as an offical company so all income would goto that label?

How would i also go about copyrighting the songs ?

Then obviously it would be the last part of having a studio for the artists which will be the big cost in all this

help much apriciated people

~1~

If you really wanna do it "for real, for real" the best thing to do is to intern for a major label to start off. I could give you a looong list of great executives in this business who started off as interns and carrying crates for the all-time greats.

Starting a label is easy, running and maintaining a successful label is one of the hardest thing to do in the music business, because you need talent, business saavy, drive and MONEY to do all this stuff. Not trying to discourage, actually trying to steer you in the right direction.

members online