Sampling a must?

44Beatzz

Ruhrpott / Germany
Battle Points: 143
Im wondering if sampling is still the number one method to built a Beat.
I saw a documentary about Dilla and Premo and of cause they always talked about choping etc.
3 Years ago i bought an midi-keyboard and all i did was freestyling from my heart to my fingers to the keys..
2 Years later i bought a Maschine and i automaticly did a lot of boom-bap.
Sometimes i think im the only one who almost not sample.
The biggest compliment for me is to hear "you used a nice sample" but instead i did all by myself
Dont get me wrong, 90´s is my time.
What do you think about this?

(hope you understand my point.english is not my first language..)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
To be honest sampling has become a cesspool for lawyers to smell blood in as soon as someone samples something immediately recognizable and I hate people who chop samples to the point of where it seems like literally noise without musicality. To the chagrin of purists I wouldn't be mad if sampling dies a literal death. I plan to compose original beats.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If you're doing it for a hobby then sample as much as you want. If you're trying to do more than a hobby then yes it can be a huge problem with legal stuff. But that's the challenge of sampling. If you're just taking loops then you could have problems but if you take bits and pieces it's almost like a puzzle. Effects are your friend!

sampling is a must have skill for any self respecting hip hop producer, whether to release commercially or just for the practice and understanding of how to mimic sampling with your composition, to get that boom bap sound.
When I first joined ill, I composed exclusively, thought I was the dogs bollocks, but this site and its members put my feet firmly back on the ground with a crash. It was right here at ill that I discovered the importance of sampling.

Kung-Fu Flavor

Im Just a drum machine junkie
Battle Points: 76
Sampling has a bad name for the legal aspects and the fact that you can use someone’s finished work as your own. The concept that it’s so easy so on and so on.

I am an believer in that there is a true art form in sampling that was created out of necessity. So to answer your question if you want a certain sound sampling has its unique qualities that is thought to imulate.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Definitely recommended to Sample. No matter where you are in music production.
But most especially when you are starting out. A lot of the important elements are touched when sampling.

EQ's & Basic Effects, Pitch, It also shapes your sound as a music producer.
Youll come across a whole lot of learning when you sample.
but most importantly, it fuels your creativity.

DJWIDEBODY

Beatmaker
To me sampling is the foundation for which hip hop was built on back to the DJ using break beats , my job when i sample is to give those lawyers fits trying to find out what sample i used , u chop it beyond recognition , still keeping it musically in pocket and put it back together in a diffrent order , it s always been catch me if u can , i will never stop sampling , so the can have a good time trying to catch me....../ NEwbie

Klypse

Space Diggin..
Battle Points: 93
There's is nothing wrong with sampling but if its a popular sample (like The commodores or Sade) that everyone knows, I'll choose a different part that no one haven't used yet and chop it up with effects or a groovy baseline. You wouldn't even know it came from a popular song..

Also never never never just loop the first 8 bars of the sample, It's not creative and that how you get sued IMO.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Also never never never just loop the first 8 bars of the sample, It's not creative and that how you get sued IMO.
That's a great point. I mean, for sampling most of the time I think we all listen for the beginning but you have to really listen to the whole song to find the other spots. Most of the time it's the beginning that has just music without drums but still - it's kind of the lazy way out!

Klypse

Space Diggin..
Battle Points: 93
That's a great point. I mean, for sampling most of the time I think we all listen for the beginning but you have to really listen to the whole song to find the other spots. Most of the time it's the beginning that has just music without drums but still - it's kind of the lazy way out!

exactly!!! What some people don't realize is that sometimes there's a sweet spot at the middle or towards the end of the sample that a little different then the rest of the song. You just have to search the whole song to get a feel to it

DJWIDEBODY

Beatmaker
On old head schooled me on the end of most of these songs , a lot of people dont listen to the whole song let alone the ending of it