Selling beats- Which format?

Agility

ill o.g.
So when you give someone a beat, what format are you giving it to them in? Wav? Or all the wavs of each track, or for example OMF?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Think of it like this, multitrack format is the same thing as not so long ago what used to be dump to an adat, and considered like gold to a producer...these are the HOLY GRAIL..."MASTERS", now not unless you got a lot of money from someone and a good contract on them for exclusiviity, or you dont care too much or you know this person very well, I do not give a multitracked beat out to anyone, or if they need further mixing I like to go to the session where my multi's go and make sure they get deleted afterwards or cant be recalled....anyhow my favorite format is a well mixed 2 track in 16 bit wave 44k format to a CD then give it to them or if they want to work on the track I give them an mp3 or high quality 128-192k...then call it a day and pay me...oh and to be honest I have never ever "sold" a beat to anyone LOL.

O

open mind

it depends on their need but if they dont ask then go with the WAVE file.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
let them hear an mp3 to write to, but deliver them a .wav file. If they bought the beat, it'd be a good idea to send it to them tracked out (if they are serious and are getting it mixed or mastered hopefully).

Then again, if they ARE serious then they are going to ASK for it to be tracked out anyways. I lost a sale on a beat cuz I couldnt track it out. My computer had crashed but I still had the full mp3. No deal!!

The way I see it is i want all of MY work to sound as good as possible anyways. Yeah i'll get paid but I still want the end result (MY beat, dudes lyrics) to sound fucking great. I'd rather send the tracked out wave files with them and encourage them to have it mixed or mastered than to let them record it and mix their vocal to it themselves.

I just know first hand that recording lyrics just "over" the beat isn't going to sound as good as if you had mixed the song WITH the lyrics, track by track , to make sure the vocal (which is the main focus, or lead) sound great- relative to everything else in the mix. Sometimes you have to eq or lower the volumes of instruments that may be crowding the vocal.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
5th Sequence said:
let them hear an mp3 to write to, but deliver them a .wav file. If they bought the beat, it'd be a good idea to send it to them tracked out (if they are serious and are getting it mixed or mastered hopefully).

Then again, if they ARE serious then they are going to ASK for it to be tracked out anyways. I lost a sale on a beat cuz I couldnt track it out. My computer had crashed but I still had the full mp3. No deal!!

The way I see it is i want all of MY work to sound as good as possible anyways. Yeah i'll get paid but I still want the end result (MY beat, dudes lyrics) to sound fucking great. I'd rather send the tracked out wave files with them and encourage them to have it mixed or mastered than to let them record it and mix their vocal to it themselves.

I just know first hand that recording lyrics just "over" the beat isn't going to sound as good as if you had mixed the song WITH the lyrics, track by track , to make sure the vocal (which is the main focus, or lead) sound great- relative to everything else in the mix. Sometimes you have to eq or lower the volumes of instruments that may be crowding the vocal.
Yeah they must be serious because I will tell you this though, if you send a tracked out beat to the wrong person (with no papers ) its asking for trouble, think about it you leaving that nice beat pattern and sample completely out in the open for someone to jack you and get their hands on that nice pattern and the sample(separated just how they might chop it....that just me though man I am extra paranoid of that its just too much of the unknown about where the cats are recording and what the studio does with it after they leave, they have a free tracked beat besides your dude you sent the multi to.

Agility

ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:

Yeah, this is the main reason why i ask. :)

And yeah, it's for stuff that will be released.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
bigdmakintrax said:
Yeah they must be serious because I will tell you this though, if you send a tracked out beat to the wrong person (with no papers ) its asking for trouble, think about it you leaving that nice beat pattern and sample completely out in the open for someone to jack you and get their hands on that nice pattern and the sample(separated just how they might chop it....that just me though man I am extra paranoid of that its just too much of the unknown about where the cats are recording and what the studio does with it after they leave, they have a free tracked beat besides your dude you sent the multi to.

That's true man, I hear you on that. It would also be the artists problem too though, I mean if they bought the beat and had it tracked out in a studio and recorded etc... If they just let the studio have it then the beat they bought could be open to getting jacked. Hopefully they would take some effort to protect their own investment, but a lot of cats arent even thinking on that level, they are just tryna record their rhymes.

It's a catch 22 looks like.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
yeh try and get it to them in .wav format at least, especially if they are paying money for it. givin someone a shitty mp3 that anyone can download is serious rip off.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
fuc u paY ME..... once i got the cash in hand and the contranct is signed, ill give them the beat how ever they want ..its funny cuz most of the people i sell beats to just want a straight wave file... they dont really ask for the multitrack... but some people obviously want the whole thing.. but if i got the dough and the rights im good and will be happy to give tyhem the beat however

members online