Selling Beats

B

BrettBentley

I am a producer and I have been making beats for a couple months now. I want to start selling my beats, and I want to know how I go about doing that. Do I have to copyright them? Is there any procedure I should follow or maybe a website with the answers im looking for?

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O YEA ONE KEY NOTE UNTIL YOU GET PAID FOR PRODUCEN A BEAT YOUR STILL WANT THEY CALL A "BEAT MAKER" NOT A PRODUCER. GETT IT RIGHT BUDDY

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
poor man's copyright:

Take a copy of the beat (on cd for example) put it in an anvelope, seal it good, and send it to you via mail... and don't open it.
Cause if you send somth. to sb. he's the official owner!

C

Cinematic

Professional, would be a good way to start off

What’s up Brett Brently?

Since you are starting off, I like to make a few suggestions.

This is a Business, so look at it and run it as such. Get into the habit now of registering your material. There are several reasons why you want to register your material vs a "poor mans copyright" which by the way would not be the way to go at all in my opinion.
Obtaining a federal copyright is basically an insurance policy for your work. Copyright protection arises automatically the moment the author fixes the work in a tangible form (i.e. when a writer writes her story), without the author having to do anything. So why copyright your work if you're automatically protected?

1. Registration establishes a public record of your copyright and puts everyone in the world on notice of your copyright.

2. You cannot sue somebody for copyright infringement until you have registered your work with the Copyright Office.

3. No award for statutory damages or attorneys fees will be made for any infringement of a copyright in an unpublished work which occurs prior to registration of the copyright. The same holds true for published works, unless the registration is made within three months after the first publication.

4. If the registration of your work is done within five years from its creation, it is considered prima facie evidence in court. Prima facie evidence means that if you ever went to court, the registration of your copyright would be sufficient evidence of your ownership of the copyrighted material. The only way for another party to win would be for them to present evidence showing:

• that they had a pre-existing copyright claim to the work.

• that you permitted them to use your work.

• that you didn't actually create the work.

• that you stole it from them.

The remedies available for infringement are broad. A court can enjoin an infringer from continuing his infringement. The court can also order that all infringing materials be seized. As for monetary damages, the injured party can choose to receive either his actual damages and profits made by the infringer or statutory damages which can be as high as $150,000.

You don't need any better reasons than these to copyright your work. Besides, we make it so easy. Once you register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office, you'll have positive proof of when your work was created.

"If you start off right, you'll end up right"

Also, continue to develop yourself, read up on the business. It would be good to work with an up and coming artist to gain some experience, also to gain some understanding of the recording process. Always look at it from the professional point of view, and if you keep that vibe, it will translate in your work. Just starting off, you might not get anything being green and depending on your skill level, but keep at it. We all have to travel down that road. but most important, sharpen your craft.

Hope this helps.

Peace