Sending your beats to record labels

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I have been producing seriously now since April of this year and i was wondering how many of you actually send your beats to record labels, or do you just post them on the web and hope that someone will listen and buy them. I've heard you should pick a record label you like and keep sending your beats to that one record label and establish a good bond with them. I have been sending all of my beats to DUCKDOWN records and i have established a good relationship with them. I found that posting your beats really isnt that good of a way to sell your beats.....................For those of you who are seriously about selling their beats, what do you do?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
There are soooo many angles man, too many....basically think of it like this...what is this called ? Answer: time's up...."The Game" guess what else? the only way you can play or expect to win is to get in it...

all of the above you stated is correct for the most part, but with any game or gambling situation there is a certain amount of risk that you sir must mitigate....
ask yourself this....how much risk am I willing to take?

(your CD in the wrong hands is a perfect sample cd)
(your CD in the wrong hands is a perfect scratchpad to hunt down dope ass samples and flip them even better)
(your CD in the wrong hands is just the melody they were trying to work all week in the lab to push out for this debut artist who is expected to sell millions but one listen to track 8 on your CD was the push....(they change the key and maybe one chord)
(its dope to show off your sampling skillz but a seasoned producer can easily go find that record and redo it....

Just some things to think about when blindly sending off beat cds..(tagged or not)
I got the opportunity to hear established producers almost everyone of them have been jacked or jerked at least once or twice, bitten or had some melody or idea lifted from right under their nose.

Things to remember, its always good to establish real relationships with real people at labels....the internet is a scary thing because anyone can become someone else....enter fraudulent types to take advantage and rob you at will.

Now when submitting your beats to a label there is no way to present your work that I know of and at the same time protect your neck, there are measures that you can take to at least offset the liklihood if you could catch them first.

1. Copyright your work, whether a remix or original idea, or sample included but it has to reflect a certain degree of change from the original.

2. Possibly have some Emcee or Singer to reference your song, in other words have something written to your track that you can use to convey how an emcee might sound over it including the most important aspect...."THE HOOK"....
Copyright all lyrics including the hook.

3. if you cant do that find yourself some acapellaz sort of remixed or all the way remixed in there to get the point of your track across, going the extra mile will pay off.
4. A CD of beats is ok but make sure they knock and dont have to be toggled, more than likely if they listen it will be on some small boom box that you must aim to blow the speakers out on.

5. First impressions are the last, you need to listen to 30 seconds of each of the songs on your CD, take them around and have some peeps listen and answer this question......HOW catchy is this?.....does it have you wanting to hear the rest? or some questions to that effect.

6. YOUR EASIEST WAY TO SELL A BEAT is not always the label, Find the ARTIST you are trying to produce for, find his contact information, find his manager do anything but do your research on the artist you hope to make a record for, its almost like an interview because you might have to vibe with the artist at some point, nothing worse than dead air and a beat....LOL.

7. Don't be afraid to get yourself out there locally and make some anthems or things that get play on the mixtape circuit around your way, find ALL DJ's in your area and build good relationships.......

Overall Grafik it looks like you got the right perspective because I had several beat sites not only selling my tracks but with a few others and they never really panned out revenue wise, sometimes selling a beat in person is an act of salesmanship...LOL) you can sit on the internet nowadays and hear hundreds of tracks that are fire....you have to step out and go to the next level and put on the salesmanship and the right beat CD to capture some ears....it cant be average because like I said there are soooooo many people out in the game now with heat.

Just my advice!

members online