Sony’s new licensing deal may change the way remixes are made

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is an interesting read. What got my attention though was this part:

"The company, based in Nashville, says the platform works with an advanced audio identification technology that can detect copyrighted material at the stem level, even if it’s been “chopped, reversed, pitch shifted, time stretched, distorted, and compressed to extreme levels.” That’s a step beyond most identification systems, which can, for example, recognize vocals lifted from a popular song and used in a bootleg, but might not be able to detect those same vocals if they were heavily altered in some way."

What I don't know is if they mean that for just the stems that people purchase from the service, or are they talking about any music? I'm assuming it's about the stems, but if not, oh boy that could change a lot. Even then, that would be insane if they could tell what piece of music it is! Imagine you take a sample and add effects but yet it's still recognized? Not good for samplers!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Drago Zetić, @Fade Potential legal headaches like this are why I no longer care to learn how to sample.

Last edited:

Trisvie

Battle Points: 3
That's pretty good. If you will ask why, this will lessen the number of people who don't make original music and who try to get attention by remakes (I assume it will also impact remakes) and such. Yes sampling is what hip-hop music based on but this is 2017 and if you don't spend your time in the studio or wherever you make beats in, to think about what you're going to do and what kind of rhythm you should use while I'm having struggles, spending perhaps a week for it, that's not fair. This will improve the productivity in the industry so that people will hear new and original songs/beats. That's my opinion. When I said that under a yt video, at least 5 people came against me. Hope you will understand what I mean.

members online