Starting a production company

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been considering starting a production company lately, but I don't even know where to start. Is there anyone here that can shed some light on this subject?

Bishop

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
I think you need to be calling upon the almighty 'God' for this question. He'll prolly have some good advice on this subject...

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
yea for some reason i was goin to say the same thing. god always got some shit to say.

but you might consider a business class. i took one last year in 11th grade. but shit i know that if you get some good equipment (and actually know wut your doin wit it) and get some good promotion that should be a good start. come up with a company name and register it. and the rest is up to you. (thats jus the short version) o yea i forgot about the business license.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You got to get a business license in your county, then get a lawyer to do your production agreements. Thats the basic that I know of.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I AM NOT A LAWYER, THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONSULT A CERTIFIED ATTORNEY.

Do you want a production company to make music for other people, or do you want to develop and guide artists, hoping to shop them to a major?

If you want to just make beats, copyright laws can generally be bypassed if somebody wants to steal a beat, as you saw with the Neptunes and the Canadian kid. Try to bargain for everything up front rather than a royalty settlement. I would not start a production company in this fashion unless I am sure I have a steady stream of work, or connections that will supply me the work. Consider your business startup from a cost/benefit analysis.

Would this be a primary or secondary business venture?

Make sure you are incorporated or have a separation between yourself and your business liabilities. Consult your country's attorneys or incorporation centre for such matters as they can best conduct you. Make sure you are not personally liable for any matters regarding your company's business.

Usually, individuals get screwed in the production deal.

There are a lot of loopholes in production deals, if you develop an artist, and they want to leave. If somebody wanted to "steal" an artist from you, they could do so with ease, if they have the money to pay a good lawyer. Thus, if I am a record label with money, I can and will usually separate you from your artist quicker than you know it. Usually if you develop an artist in such a deal, make sure to have a "go-away clause" where another party will pay you a specified amount of money to buy out your involvement with the artist you are developing.

Also, there are so many people doing production now, is it profitable for you to enter such a business? Are you being realistic in your goals? Assess those and delve deeper into the concept of owning a business, etc. There are surely licenses and other paperwork in your country that are necessary when starting a business.

Newbies in the biz tend to get eaten alive by the people who've been around and know the tricks. I'd suggest you try to collaborate with an experienced manager from your area, or someone in your area who knows the way to navigate around the garbage you are about to face. That way, you can learn from them, while they can profit off you (if you cut them a deal), and they protect your business at the same time while you survive in the game.

Please consult a lawyer when making a contract with an individual and do not take any advice on the internet as legal advice.

Sincerely,
God