stealin others music

ill o.g.
What do you guys who are as of now nameless just selling ur shit outta the trunk of your car and whatnot doing about getting your okays on sampling beats? Say you sample something from some old ass record I know your not contacting the composer to see if its cool if u use it.. Do u just sell ur beats regardless?

D

DJlow2

how would you feel if somebody sampled ur tracks and sold them...mad as hell... but then its like a free for all anyway so you might as well get ur shit out there before the next man...

i've released samplers that any nigga can sample from... and i know that if they sample from me... theres not much i can do about it... except go on and release the originals and get the props...

so for them artists that got records out already that we sample from i imagine its not that much of a difference... theres not much they can do about it...chances are that the tracks you release in your hood will stay in your hood...

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Just sell it, because your not making enough money for them to get upset and want to sue. But if they do, you know you were doing something right and your should have made at least $200,000 - $500,000 by then.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
There is rampant theft of other peoples music, especially with sampled based music.....if some just gets enuff of a quick combo lick off a track like a kik snare and bass hit....or even a riff that may have been ok on your track.......someone else can turn around and re sample, add some effects or mix it it just like a record and you WILL NOT KNOW they stole your shidd if they flip it right....that's the sad truth about this business, especially in the days where the average producer literally has like hundreds of tracks and it's hard to keep up with it.....and the other thing is the availability of a small pool of actual sounds off of keyboards.....for those of us that like to use them.....they a quick way of making a track but easy for someone else to make a song that might just sound like yours but it isn't and if they resample your track it will be extra hard to say they stole it........

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Wait......I dont get it, if you take a piece of someone else's beat then tweak it to where not even the owner can recognize it then isnt it more like using that beat as a cornerstone to create your own beats?:headscrat

light

Producer
ill o.g.
i figure if you sample and the sound is easily recognizable as the original song then its not cool. you should be able to flip it and make the sound your own.
What i think is alwayz cool is if someone is like "that sounds kinda familiar." but they can never guess where its from. if you can get someone to think that, then theyll most likely remeber your song too.
I personally will never sample from anything that is or was on any charts. guess you could call that kinda shit mainstream. ill never sample mainstream music. i like to dig way deep and find shit that was never that popular even tho it was good muzic. then it feels to me like im giving play to sounds that were never heard as much as they should have been.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Goldy_C
Wait......I dont get it, if you take a piece of someone else's beat then tweak it to where not even the owner can recognize it then isnt it more like using that beat as a cornerstone to create your own beats?:headscrat

Yeah it can be a cornerstone or whatever what you want to call it...hahaha but it's theft especially if what they did gave you an idea of where to go with the track that's not being creative at all, but it's cool if you don't plan on selling it and making it into a platinum track, it's good to know how to flip and use samples because labels that hire you have the ability to clear a lot of samples if they want to use the track bad enuff or its hott......so really there is nothing wrong with doing it for your own personal practice or listening enjoyment, the feds won't show up at your door or anything like that...

E

Equality 7-2521

one way you could clear your samples is to sample from artists who are dead. that would work wouldnt it?

light

Producer
ill o.g.
its not alwayz the living artists who hold the rights to there songs. it could be the record company or anyone who has purchaced the rights.

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
Originally posted by light
its not alwayz the living artists who hold the rights to there songs. it could be the record company or anyone who has purchaced the rights.
to reproduce someones music mechanically by playing on the keyboard,guitar etc. if it was copyright while they were alive its 50 years after they die.if it was released after they had died its 50 years from copyright.Now for sampling the above rules apply but the source be it cd or tap vinyl has to also be atleast 50 years old. so say you buy a mozart cd at the store come home sample some string or whatever. that cd was copyrighted by the people that reproduced mozarts music not mozart so its a totally diffrent story.

So for sampling to be totally legal remeber 50 years from death 50 years from copyright of the source,which ever is longer.

also not even sampling one sound or drum hit is legal unless you have clearance or its past the 50 years. its just hard to prove.
Peace
Maddogg

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Oh yeah but see thing is if the artist (s) were popular enough 9 times out of ten if they were dead their estate owns the rights and also 9 times out of ten the copyright is renewed so there won't be a lot of free shidd out there to copy, and I said this before and maddogg touched on it....even to play the melody over is an interpolation...which is equivalent to a sample.....basically in the hip hop game it is chance and risk involved because most do sample kicks and snares for most tracks....that probably came off of vinyl.....and the misleading thing about known producers sampling blatently is that the label with the big pockets behind them has kindly cleared anything for them to use....so then you got producers making tracks that sample exactly like that and then until the track either makes it onto and album or gets airplay and blows up....thats when they find out about all of the legalities of sampling....I won't go on because we have talked about this issue soooo many times !!!! but it wouldn't be hip hop music without sampling would it???

members online