Strrrrrike!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Aimed at those of you who post copyright material, i.e. remixes, sampling etc.

What's your experience regarding copyright strikes on platforms such as YouTube and SoundCloud etc.?

Looking to start posting my music up.(!!!) Now for most of my music it shouldn't be a problem, but I do do remixes and sampling on occasion, and some of those (the remixes in particular) I'm interested in throwing up online (as I imagine they'll get the most views).
I ask this as recently discovered an olddd EDM soundcloud of mine had 2 copyright strikes against it for remixes.
The rest of the remixes on my account, the acapellas were obtained the same way (somewhat officially) and the beats titled with the original titles plus 'remix', but none of them got flagged.

Just wondered best approaches, practises, and experiences and advice regarding this?

note: not looking for 'hide your samples by distorting, twisting and chopping them until they're unrecognizable', as I have no interest in using samples that way.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
You could make the first 60 seconds of your remix an original and drop the remix later in the track to not get detected by the algorithm.
Give your track an original title, not something like "Track you remixed" REMIX.
Get more creative with sample usage, dont need to pitch or distort but chopping and rearranging while still maintaining the feel of the track you remixed is the art.
Dont remix REALLY popular shit.
Try to recreate the song with your own sounds or maybe similar patterns of the song.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Since you don't want to twist and distort the samples then there's not much you can do except:
  • Add something on top of the sample like a VST, or another sample.
  • Mess with the pitch. I find YouTube doesn't really pick up on pitched down samples much. I don't know how Soundcloud's is.

I have only had one track struck down on soundcloud, it was a flip of "elenor rigby" by the beatles. I have had a few strikes on youtube, sometimes they let the track stay up, but you cant earn advertising revemue from it, other times they take down the track completely

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
yeah the two tracks taking down were acapellas from remix competitions, so had thought they'd be pretty safe. The other tracks that stayed up were the same.

I think the risk too is, ideally on remixes, you want to title it the artist&song for the sake of exposure and people stumbling onto it. But I imagine it may prick the ears of the algorithms more readily.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Since you don't want to twist and distort the samples then there's not much you can do except:
  • Add something on top of the sample like a VST, or another sample.
  • Mess with the pitch. I find YouTube doesn't really pick up on pitched down samples much. I don't know how Soundcloud's is.

yeah for me, it doesn't make sense. If I use a sample, it's because I heard it and thought it'd sound good. If I mangled it into unrecognition, it defeats the purpose of why I took it in the first place, and i would have saved time by just using a sound that sounds that way from the get go.

As for the remixes I guess i'll have to hit and hope --- actually, I'd be pretty pissed if my track got took down from an illegal acapella upload I ripped :LOL: I'd be cool with a track staying up and just drawing people to my platform though.

yeah for me, it doesn't make sense. If I use a sample, it's because I heard it and thought it'd sound good. If I mangled it into unrecognition, it defeats the purpose of why I took it in the first place, and i would have saved time by just using a sound that sounds that way from the get go.

As for the remixes I guess i'll have to hit and hope --- actually, I'd be pretty pissed if my track got took down from an illegal acapella upload I ripped :LOL: I'd be cool with a track staying up and just drawing people to my platform though.
Im the same, I choose samples for how they already sound. Mangling them up into unrecognisability defeats the purpose of using a sample. Might as well just compose something

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Iron Keys You don't have to make them unrecognizable, just add something on top to compliment them. I do it all the time and it's the easiest way to avoid copyright strikes. If you really insist on using the sample as is then you just have to take your chances.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just remember that you're trying to outsmart an algorithm. Are you telling us that you're going to let some stupid computer program make you its little bitch? Are you? ARE YOU?

short circuit 80s GIF

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Just remember that you're trying to outsmart an algorithm. Are you telling us that you're going to let some stupid computer program make you its little bitch? Are you? ARE YOU?

short circuit 80s GIF

But the algorithm is written by smarter people.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@Iron Keys You don't have to make them unrecognizable, just add something on top to compliment them. I do it all the time and it's the easiest way to avoid copyright strikes. If you really insist on using the sample as is then you just have to take your chances.
I always put stuff with my samples tho, obviously with acapellas. But it's spotting those. And I imagine algorithms are pretty smart these days at picking out sounds amongst sounds