Interviews Studio Talk: 8 Questions for DJ Feed Me

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
djfeedme_big.jpg

For a while now, DJ Feed Me has taken over the duties of handling the Sample Flippage section, and even though he's only been a member here since 2012, it seems much longer. Winner of multiple Beat This! Competitions, he's now taken a timeout to tell us a bit about himself.

Name: DJ Feed Me (I was a bit chubby in high school when I first started DJ'ing so I went with it) Location: Milwaukee, WI

1. What is your studio setup like?

Ableton, Serato, a couple computers, Yamaha HS 80m monitors, Vestax and Technics Turntables, Akai s20, Gemini DS-1224, some other random old hardware and thousands and thousands of records.

2. What is the one software or hardware that you can't live without?

Ableton Live. It is the center of everything I do when it comes to production. I create, mix and master all in Ableton. I have become proficient in the program and can work fairly quickly. I have always wanted to branch out (I own Logic as well, but never use it) but haven't been able to dedicate the time to learn other programs the way I know Ableton.

3. What is a typical day for you?

I work at a hospital as a pharmacist 5 days a week, and my girl and I just moved into a new place so currently I am trying to get everything back in order around the house. I squeeze in my time studying music most nights. I read blogs/forums/etc... I am always discovering both new and old music that blows my mind. I usually get a couple hours each week to work on music production. I try to read some (Favorites: Wax Poetics and Sound on Sound) and love to play and watch sports.

4. What is the best advice that you've ever received?

Love life. I try to approach each day with a positive attitude and do everything I can to not only make the most of the day, but pass on that positivity to others. I have only one life on this earth and it was a gift so I need to do everything I can to make the most of it.

5. Do you have any tips for other producers?

I would start by saying if you are just starting, just keep creating and learning. It is an incredibly long process to learn even the basics of music production. Try not to let yourself become discouraged and just enjoy the process. Also, I would include what many others say and that is to learn your weapon and learn it well. Amazing music can be made using infinite sources, so pick what works for you and run with it. Lastly, I would say don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. We all get stuck in "our sound" and "our process" and though this is great for efficiency, some creativity can go a long way too. Once in a while force yourself to work in a way you never would otherwise. I believe this aids greatly in our development as producers.

6. How long does it take to make a full beat?

A full finished product usually takes me like 3-4 hours (to get a solid skeleton, and get all my levels straight). Though the process always continues after that. I listen to it on a few different sets of speakers, and always come back and listen after a few days to try to get a fresh perspective and see how I feel about it then. I try not to let the process go on forever though it easily could. I wish I had some beat making friends to help with input and give some feedback, so I always appreciate it when people give me some feedback here on IllMuzik!!

7. Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

I use a template in Ableton that has key features of things I often use or want during the production process. By spending some time preparing for music production, I can save much more time later on during the actual production process.

8. What's in your near future?

I don't have any music projects scheduled as of yet for the near future. I wish I was involved in a creative process, but have not yet found others to work with (so if you're down hit me up!). I will be making beats and producing music for the rest of my life so I am just going to continue to work on developing my skills. And of course, entering the next Beat This battle...

More Information
To find out more information about DJ Feed Me, visit:

toryhooks

Battle Points: 122
Dooooooooooooooope interview bro. Especially because he is in love with Ableton, like i am. LOL This was good! Loved the answers he gave.

members online