Interviews Studio Talk: 8 Questions For Jobe of SoberMindedMusiC

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
jobe.jpg

You don't need a massive amount of gear in your home studio, and Jobe of SoberMindedMusiC proves that. With a small amount of gear and a solid lineup of plug-ins and effects, he reminds us all to focus on what we have, no matter how big or small. We sat down with Jobe to find out more about him.

Name: Jobe of SoberMindedMusiC Location: Philadelphia, PA

Disclaimer: I'm sort of uncomfortable being interviewed as a producer. I have been mainly a rapper all my life. I started producing around 7 years ago, but got focused about it 3 years ago. My discomfort comes from my MC mind state, and the knowledge that in comparison to other producers, my set up is not very elaborate.

What is your studio setup like?

Toshiba Satellite, FL Studio 8,10 & 11, Reason 5, Wavelab, VRM Box, Sony headphones, a plethora of plug-ins and my education at audio engineering school. (http://www.mediatechinstitute.com). That's about it.

What is the one software or hardware that you can't live without?

The software I can't live without is FL Studio. For production, it is more efficient for me than other programs I've used. Most of my beats are sample based, but when I create something with no samples, I like to Rewire Reason sounds into FL. I also have a lot of VST synths, my favorites being the Korg Legacy Pack, Edirol Orchestral and the Memorymoon VST pack. Add FL's Edison and Slicex, and about 20GB of kits, soundfonts and sounds and I'm all set to produce. Effects VSTs that I can't live without include several from the Wave Mercury Bundle, URS Strip Pro Native, Oxford Reverb, and Voxengo Drumformer (thanks Dac). The only hardware I consistently use is the Focusrite VRM Box, which I highly recommend to anyone with less than ideal monitoring environments, or those who mix a lot on headphones.

What is a typical day for you?

I usually try to do all my right brain activities in the morning. I wake up around 5 A.M., and after prayer, and meditation, and light calisthenics, I get on the net for about 20 minutes. Check the news, check out Stumbleupon for some inspiration. Then I do some right brain activity. I either write a rhyme, or produce. I save the left brain stuff (mixing, mastering, on-line networking) for later in the day.

What is the best advice that you've ever received?

The best advice I have heard, and the best advice I can give... focus on what you invest in. Sounds simple huh?

Do you have any tips for other producers?

See answer #4.

How long does it take to make a full beat?

The time it takes me to make a beat varies. If it's non-sample based, it's gonna take a couple of days. Sample based stuff takes me an average of 3 hours to complete. That being said, I have well over 200 unfinished beats on my hard drive.

Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

The main studio trick I know for increasing efficiency is using templates. It allows you to remain almost totally in right brain mode while producing. Having to constantly switch between right (composing, chopping samples, forming beat patterns) and left (routing) can get you out of your creative zone.

What's in your near future?
In my near future... my wife's expecting, so there's that. Music-wise, you should be hearing some SoberMindedMusiC productions on at least one prominent underground rapper's project. I also plan on dropping my first full album, as well as several collaborative mixtapes and EPs.

More Information
To find out more information about Jobe of SoberMindedMusiC, visit: