Studio tour with Dr. Dre's engineer

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Fade wish track sheets were still a thing of many things missing in modern music in the formerly collective i.e. social sense of making music, which sadly I never experienced.

There's a track sheet for "Ladies First" in the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture and I was geeked to view it!

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Hahaha... I literally just watched this video and copied it to my clipboard to post here!!!

Really good video. Really important for some of the unknowing peeps to watch. It's important to understand the old stuff, because it's what all the new stuff came from.

These vids always make me mad jealous that I didn't grow up in that era with that opportunity. Shit would have been mad fun. Clickdragging stupid plugin dials ain't really that fun, by comparison at least.

All that knowledge, and experience in real studio environments. That vs what kids/newbs watching some FL YouTube dickhead give some shitty advice about 'yeah bruh *asthmatic breathing and cheese puffs* just use dis plugin n like put this settings' which they copied from some other shit youtuber's shit video.

But yeah. Watch this video if you real.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's the thing about the video and how he mentions the older stuff vs. newer. Sure the new stuff is easier but it doesn't mean it's better. Same thing with for example a controller with software vs. an older model MPC. Yes, the new stuff is more flexible but so what? It doesn't mean it's better.

Also it shows how much work actually goes into recording, which is much more than just a simple mix in a DAW. It's very technical so it's important to have an engineer that focuses on just that.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
How you man reflect on your romantic histories...

1646268442706.png

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'll @Fade take a controller/DAW route in this era over analog any day and "better" and "easier" is subjective. I feel like engineers, producers, and all others involved in the recording process who sucked back in the day would suck now in the current era.

Fuck fighting w/floppies. etc. when I can get a portable SSD to place my work(s) on. Newer equipment is easier to replace i.e. why wrestle w/a Star Trek looking analog console when you can mix ITB if you learned old school mix technique(s)?

I'm against old heads hyper romanticizing the 2-inch tape reel splice era, ship reel(s) by plane, etc. era but the one thing gained from the aforementioned is people had to be together in the studio.

I @Iron Keys will say I'm a sucker for listening to the stories from certain old heads who ain't bitter about the music business that don't mind speaking on how/what being in the studio was about professional work-wise.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Back @Fade then I had no clue how music production was done, didn't help that I thought only pros and virtuosos made and could make music hence the inaccessibility feeling(s) I grew up having.

Battle Points: 27
Theres always going to be pros and cons to everything... But as a lot of proper producers say, 'its not about the tools you use'. And trust me, floppy disks arent all that haha They break all the time.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@OGBama the significance of having experience of the old ways of working is that it informs modern ways of working. DAWs are literally based on the workflow of analogue consoles.

It's why so many people today who get started in their DAWs have no understanding of the foundations of audio production, such as signal flow, routing, sends/returns, gain staging, etc

Even understanding the the roots and origins of Hip-Hop production. Yes modern technology and digital allows you to do 'so much more', but if you have no understanding of the limitations in the birth of your genre, you start to miss out on the core things that shaped the sound of the genre you're tying to make.

By having no knowledge or understanding of the fundamentals of the sound that shaped your genre, it can make it a lot harder to approach and way easier to drift away from the core concepts and principles that give your work a solid grounding or feel to that genre.

This goes for music making in general and genre specific, AND how the two of those things intersect; How did music production work, how did hip-hop composition work, how did hip-hop get engineered and produced.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well said, @Iron Keys.

I didn't post this video to debate then vs. now, I just thought it was a solid studio walk-through with nice gear.

But when people DO mention how they don't want to use old stuff and it's too hard or whatever, that's nonsense. Back then it wasn't hard, it was just the way it was done. Of course if you look at the recording process back then it seems hard compared to today's technology, that's a given. It was a much more specific process that required a lot of knowledge to get things work the right way, whereas today you can throw together a beat in 10 seconds on your phone lol.

Anyway, I thought it was a cool video. I don't know why everything has to be a debate all the time, I wish people would just enjoy things for what they are.

members online