Interviews The Drunk Pedestrians Are F#

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
dp1.jpg
The Drunk Pedestrians' latest album, F#, has just been released, and it has a very smooth vibe all throughout. If you're not aware, it's a Hip Hop and Electronic band that have just recently nailed down a distribution deal for their album.

I wanted to talk to @thedreampolice about the Drunk Pedestrians and find out exactly what they're all about - where they come from and where they're headed.

Check it out:

So let's get started - what's the F# album, and specifically why is it called that?

I started this record a long time ago when I was in a pretty weird place in life and headspace and it was originally titled "My life is F#" but shortening it seemed to fit better and can mean a couple of things.

Who are the Drunk Pedestrians and why are they drunk?

The Drunk Pedestrians are a group of international, time traveling musicians. They all met at a gig in the asteroid belt of Nefarus—the Dark Star where they had to play or die in a local bar. Read more here: https://www.drunkpedestrians.com/the-story-so-far

You've been playing bass for a long time, how did you end up choosing bass?

I have been playing bass for 25 years now and it is my main instrument for sure. I wrote about how much I love the bass here https://www.bleedingpeanutbutter.com/articles/love-letter-to-the-bass-guitar. On F# I play guitar, keys, drums. Whatever is needed. Sometimes I would get a guest like "Aaron Miller Hill" my long time collaborator to play keys. So if it's not him it's me playing.

Bass is quite difficult for beat makers. What are some tips you can give everyone that's making beats without an actual bass guitar?

That's a tough one since I usually think of bass parts to play while I am writing since I have played bass so long. I would say that it's ok to keep it simple, hold down the root note as much as possible and know that bass is a rhythm instrument, so make sure it grooves right. In fact a rule of playing bass live is if you are going to screw up, it's better to miss a note than drop the groove. So I am always thinking about keeping my right hand grooving no matter what, even if the left hand misses something. As far as mixing or production goes, make sure you cut the low end out of other instruments so there is plenty of room in the mix for the bass and that something else isn't stepping on its toes. That will give it plenty of space and make it sound way better. Also, don't be afraid to put a little grit on the bass, it can tolerate a lot more distortion than one would think.

How would Drunk Pedestrians describe their style?

Drunk Pedestrians is Hip-Hop meets electronic in a live band context.

Who are some of the most influential Rap artists and producers for you guys?

I think there is clear inspiration from the Gorillaz in what we do, when it comes to creating a fictional universe. The similarities end pretty quick once you read all the Drunk Pedestrians' back story, etc. Other then that I think it's no secret that I love Kanye, he was a game changer and just a hard working guy. I'm a massive Pete Rock and Alchemist fan. But I also look at other producers like Rick Rubin (maybe the GOAT) and people like Quincy Jones, who brought amazing things out of already talented artists.

dp2.jpg

You seem to tour a lot - how has performing live helped you when it comes time to record in the studio? Or are they completely unrelated?

I play a lot of live shows with a few others bands, Drunk Pedestrians does not play live often but I am working to change that, the music is so diverse in Drunk Pedestrians that it's tough to do with four or five players. I play in two live bands one called "Flannel Channel" and one called "The Davenport Brothers". Having to be able to actually play a song live, rather then loops introduces an entirely new element to the songs, and you can get new ideas in a live context with a bunch of really good musicians in a room that you would not get just composing by yourself. So I encourage everyone to play live as often as possible. It's also quite the rush!

Let's talk production - what's your typical process when creating a song?

So it really depends, often times I will start with the lyrics and see how music could fit with them. What type of emotion does the music need to convey, etc. Then start writing the music. Sometimes I know a theme of music I want to write and I will work on an instrumental and begin working on lyrics once I have a vocalist. Every song is a bit different. I think strong melodic themes are important, so I may start there and add the rhythm section later. It also is a vastly different process if I start writing in DAW verses on a guitar for example.

What's your main piece of gear in your studio that gives you the most bang for your buck?

Oh man, that's a tough question, obviously a good DAW is probably the right answer. Something like Reason or Live are basically infinite but sometimes they can be less inspiring then a piece of hardware. I have a great time playing with my MPC or my Digitakt. But if I could only chose one tool forever it would probably be Reason. It just works with my brain, but as of late I have been trying to compose less and less with a computer. One of my Bass guitars would probably be up there as well, since that's the instrument I feel most comfortable on.

I like Reason because of its longevity and how much it's progressed since the start. Do you find yourself getting lost with all the stuff you can have in the rack?

Reason was the DAW that really grabbed me years (or decades now) ago and I just GOT it. You have to find software that works with your brain and Reason does for me. Maybe its because I do have a background in recording with actual hardware all those years ago. I starting using Reason at version three and I remember when version four came out how huge of an upgrade it was so that was what 2003 or 2004, and I have bought every version since, so I kinda grew at the same time the program did. I don't really get to lost in it, since I have been using it almost twenty years but I have to admit once they integrated "Record" in to it the user interface did get a bit more cluttered than I would prefer. I also use Live quite a lot as I like how it handles chopping up audio a bit better, but I wouldn't want to be without either.

Computers are great although I know most can agree that it's better to make music by NOT staring at a screen. Do you find yourself going back to an old school way of making music?

Man that's a great question. I have been and still am a huge proponent of an "all in the box" workflow. Software absolutely can sound just as good if not better then hardware and not having to worry too much about where files are stored or coming back to a song after months is a godsend. But there is certainly something inspiring about using just an MPC or an Octatrack with the computer screen off. When you are writing its fun to let happy accidents happen and hardware encourages a lot of happy accidents.

But I would also say this, if you can't play a stripped down version of your song on acoustic guitar or piano and have it sound good then it's not done, the MUSIC has to work regardless. That's the most important part. All these other things are just tools to help one write a great song. So the song should always been the most important thing over the tools you are using to make it. Kendrick has huge songs that were just created on an iPhone, so it really doesn't matter all that much. That's why I don't really "make beats" too much these days unless it's for a specific situation. I want to make songs.

Do the Drunk Pedestrians have plans to rule the world, one show at a time?

Well, all of space and time.

dp3.jpg

What's the best and/or funniest thing to happen to you during a live show?

This was twenty plus years ago but a band I was playing lead guitar in had a gig in this giant-like rec center, I think it was. It had concrete floors. We thought it would be funny to spray the audience right away with super soakers, and they loved it. Unfortunately this left the stage area a giant slip and slide. I ran across to the bass player or something showing off and totally slipped and fell. Now I was in the middle of playing guitar and could not use my hands to stand back up. So I was kinda stuck on the floor for a minute. It was truly my "Spinal tap" moment.

Another story that comes to mind is this last summer I played fill-in bass for a gig and it was outdoors on this wood plank stage. The band kicked off a song and it was clearly in a different key then they had told me to practice it in, so as I was trying to get my playing right for the band I walked over to the guitar player and said "What the hell key are you playing this in", he just nodded and smiled. Clearly not hearing my question, then my bass cable got stuck between two boards in the stage so I was stuck with a three foot leash, not able to move. Right next to the guitar player and not really nailing the song. I basically had to stop playing for a few seconds (a huge no no) and get my cable unstuck before I could do much anything else.

What's next for DP?

Right now it's just a lot of marketing and promoting the new album. Then some live shows, then back to working on the next record. Which I have been doing some pre production on already.

Any last advice for all the beat makers and producers of IllMuzik?

The best advise I always have is go above and beyond to treat everyone well. It’s the right thing to do and you never know what doors could be opened just out of kindness. And just make as much art as possible as often as possible. Practice is how anyone improves, so get to work.

Find the Drunk Pedestrians:

members online