The state of beat making in 2023

• beat this! voting starts in...

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
The south made the triplet flow over 140bpm beats popular. Mumble rap came from southern hip hop.
Honestly, I think we can blame FL Studio for that too. As the transition was being made from Crunk and Bounce into Trap, this was also the timeframe when pirated FL was becoming popular, and 140 was the default bpm lol

Honestly, I think we can blame FL Studio for that too. As the transition was being made from Crunk and Bounce into Trap, this was also the timeframe when pirated FL was becoming popular, and 140 was the default bpm lol
lol wasn't it 130 at first? I think they only changed it to 140 recently cuz I remember a shittona baby arvin beats being 130.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
lol wasn't it 130 at first? I think they only changed it to 140 recently cuz I remember a shittona baby arvin beats being 130.
3.56 through 12 I think was 140. 20 and 21 are 130. We should sign a petition to make the new default bpm 93 and the default kit some vinyl samples and see can we subliminally steer the course of hip hop back to Boom Bap lmao.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
Okay

So tech, especially with people new to Hip Hop or not understanding the origins can cause the style to drift dramatically.

To understand it coming from looped drum breaks and samples. It forms the structural basis for it as a music style. As tech and accessibility improved people could add more sounds and more instruments etc.

The issue could be if people deviate from the "looped" nature, the structural basis, aaand the sounds, does it become an evolution or has it become something else entirely.

If it gets too progressive and electronic, isn't it then becoming a bastardised EDM sub genre? (Not gutting into style talks, just how tech changes something to something else.)
Kinda like how Old Town Road ended up being a chart topping country song? lol

3.56 through 12 I think was 140. 20 and 21 are 130. We should sign a petition to make the new default bpm 93 and the default kit some vinyl samples and see can we subliminally steer the course of hip hop back to Boom Bap lmao.
lol or it should be set on something impossible like 0 or 30 so everyone has to either master the art of dividing by zero, make 50s slow jams shit or be forced to change the bpm to something new every time.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
We should sign a petition to make the new default bpm 93 and the default kit some vinyl samples and see can we subliminally steer the course of hip hop back to Boom Bap lmao.
I think there was some thing called nudging or some shit. Where the media or whatever gradually pushes our thinking or behaviour ina a certain direction.

So that could probably work.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Man....I would really like to see it go into a place where more creativity is shown. Kendrick is doing good things. And this track...man...this Sweedish (i think) producer is a problem. Multi instrumentalist. Really creative. Did his last album too also good work. I know it’s an electronic/house-ish direction but he captured something good here. It’s dynamic, nice changes. Great work.

I’d like it to be music again, not a set of tracks with the 808 drum kit preset and a sample. (Although, that’s what sells, I get it). This genre broke my heart man, years ago. The shady business side dominates today’s sound and artists. The real can break through...people just need to choose it and not have the industry choose for them.

‘’I might've failed to mention that this chick was creative
Once the man got to her, he altered her native
Told her if she got an image and a gimmick
That she could make money, and she did it like a dummy‘’ - Common

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Beat making is at the "Wonderwall" Phase...

...just like every college kid who's only ever touched a guitar a few times knew how to play Wonderwall; we live in a era where any teenager with an internet connection can make beats. Hell, tablet or smartphone!

While annoying, this isn't an entirely a bad thing. There are mountains of pure cookie cutter bullshit trap reductions out there, but we're also seeing a wider variety of people from eclectic backgrounds making beats.

Like any art renaissance, pop-culture in general, we'll see cycles and their associated troughs/peaks. Lo-Fi put people onto jazz....in fact I rarely listen to hip-hop. Most of my leisure listening is Jazz or "academic" musicians applying highly technical and theoretical concepts to music.

When they eventually come back to hip-hop (which we ALL do lol) they will be returning more informed, travelled, wider persepctice and with a higher listening vocabulary that will ultimately inform their music making.

Beat making is at the "Wonderwall" Phase...

...just like every college kid who's only ever touched a guitar a few times knew how to play Wonderwall; we live in a era where any teenager with an internet connection can make beats. Hell, tablet or smartphone!

While annoying, this isn't an entirely a bad thing. There are mountains of pure cookie cutter bullshit trap reductions out there, but we're also seeing a wider variety of people from eclectic backgrounds making beats.

Like any art renaissance, pop-culture in general, we'll see cycles and their associated troughs/peaks. Lo-Fi put people onto jazz....in fact I rarely listen to hip-hop. Most of my leisure listening is Jazz or "academic" musicians applying highly technical and theoretical concepts to music.

When they eventually come back to hip-hop (which we ALL do lol) they will be returning more informed, travelled, wider persepctice and with a higher listening vocabulary that will ultimately inform their music making.
The whole industry has been taken over by ideologues pushing a negative divisive narrative. The best thing to do is dont chase the industry, just enjoy making music, make good music and wait for the industry to come chasing after you. They might never come chasing you, but is that really a bad thing, no debt and nobody telling you what to make.