trying not to sample

ill o.g.
Ive been doing a lot less beats in the last couple weeks, i sold my computer, so i now have a full hardware setup. I been listenin to a lot of music includin some bluegrass, arabian music, and jazz that you cant even nod your head to, not for sampling, so i can just expand my mind. I got a childrens guitar for $8 at a yard sale, and i been recordin myself play onto tape then i go back and sample certain parts. I been settin up my drumkit (a real drum kit i got) next to the mic then recordin myself do breaks, then playin it back and samplin it.

This isnt gonna cut it anymore, i need to get some kind of synth. Like a module or another keyboard. I dont have any sounds right now other then my records and my guitar and drumkit. I only got about $120. I dont even wanna spend that much, but thats about the max of what im lookin at for the moment.
Somethin that i could work at doin some west-coast style shit on (real clean pianos/organs/guitars and real sounds, not like shit that dont sound like an instrument) would be dope.

Does anybody know about any cheap modules that you can get for not ,much money? I been lookin at the Roland JV-880. I could get it for under $200, but the only people ive heard reviews from, dont do hip-hop, so its hard to compare.

Any suggestions would be dope.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
man i know this isent want u want to hear but that motif sound module is the truth, If you looking for realistic clean sounds thats were ur gonna have to go. All my shit 95% of my shit is off the motif.
Ive had my mo for almost 5 months and i havent even begen to touch all the sounds and editing cablitities

instead of bying a lesser module i would save all my ducks and by a good qualitiy one. I dont think your gonna get what your looking for speding 200. (maybe im wrong) But honeslty dog u get what you pay for.

Unitll then u can hit up mpcsounds.com , they have some good qualitiy sound kits. That is what i used untill i got my module

good luck man and u have any other quesitons hit me up

class....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
yeh word i got a Motif 6 and the sounds are tight.

you can get them cheap now.

sAfE.

C

Copenhagen

Any keyboard has GM banks of real sounds, so just check out some cheap ones at your local store and find the one that came closest to what you're seeking afterwards on e.g. eBay.
Also, i guess you could get e.g. the JV-1080, and then just buy an expansion card with the sounds you seek.
That's if you're on a budget, otherwise I'd suggest a Motif too. Seems to have the most organic real sounds.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
um may i chime in here?

expand your budget to maybe $300 (i know, double what you wanted) and get a roland jv 1010.

yeah, i know, the mo is top of the line, etc., but i have owned both these boards- the 1010 is the module of an xp 30, minus 2 expansions. you wont find the best organs, but that is fixed by obtaining the keys card for it, maybe $70 used. the 1010 is a quality module and for lower end boards IT DOES NOT get better. this is more than adequate.

to be honest, with what you are trying to spend, you wont find much, maybe an old proteus 1 module or yamaha psr, which does have a servieceable piano...but you are severely limiting yourself. come up with $250-300 and get a jv 1010, and you will not regret it.

obviously the mo is the better board- by a good distance, might i add, but we arent looking at a high end module for him. low end, this is your best bet.

that said, i URGE YOU to drop that extra $150 or so. the jv 1010/xp 30 is still widely used and sought after. dont sleep... and the jump from your casio/psr boards is huge. bare in mind that 5 years ago these were still top shelf modules.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Well, I gotta JV880 and the 1080 and the 880 is a stripped 1080. I think it's a nice racksynth, get the pianoboard with it or something and bid less than 200 and you got yourself something usefull. I rock the Techno board, nice too. I gotz all the old skool house sound form way back in one synth.

ill o.g.
Thanks for everybodys replyin.

I really dont think i can come up with $1K for a motif. I played the motif a lot at some stores and i love it, but i def cant get the money.

Truth,
Ill be lookin into the 1010.

Formant,
Do you got anythiun that could give me an example of what sounds i can get out of the 880?

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
helix said:
Ive been doing a lot less beats in the last couple weeks, i sold my computer, so i now have a full hardware setup. I been listenin to a lot of music includin some bluegrass, arabian music, and jazz that you cant even nod your head to, not for sampling, so i can just expand my mind. I got a childrens guitar for $8 at a yard sale, and i been recordin myself play onto tape then i go back and sample certain parts. I been settin up my drumkit (a real drum kit i got) next to the mic then recordin myself do breaks, then playin it back and samplin it.

This isnt gonna cut it anymore, i need to get some kind of synth. Like a module or another keyboard. I dont have any sounds right now other then my records and my guitar and drumkit. I only got about $120. I dont even wanna spend that much, but thats about the max of what im lookin at for the moment.
Somethin that i could work at doin some west-coast style shit on (real clean pianos/organs/guitars and real sounds, not like shit that dont sound like an instrument) would be dope.

Does anybody know about any cheap modules that you can get for not ,much money? I been lookin at the Roland JV-880. I could get it for under $200, but the only people ive heard reviews from, dont do hip-hop, so its hard to compare.

Any suggestions would be dope.

sorry to get off your subject, you still got your EpS right?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
nope, nothing right now to give you any idea. But, it's loaded with basic stuff and I dig it for the techno expansion, although the piano is nice too.

But I do have another option for you to check out, it's the trinity rack by korg. Should be cheap too these days.

ill o.g.
jaydub23510 said:
sorry to get off your subject, you still got your EpS right?

That aint off subject, i was just about to say it.

Yea, i still got my EPS16+. Im gonna use the eps to control whatever i get.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
y arent you sampling anymore? no debate or anything intended just wondering.

ill o.g.
RigorMortis said:
y arent you sampling anymore? no debate or anything intended just wondering.

Its not that im done samplin, im just tryin to get more musical, and cover more aspects of hip-hop. Im tryin to understand how to do some west-coast style shit. Lik if you pick up the True Crime LA soundtrack, thats just some of the kind of shit im tryin to get into. (im still samplin, im just tryin somethin new right now)

The other thing is, if i ever have a beat in my head, then i beatbox it and record it to them microcasettes, then when i go to do the beat, i have trouble doin that with samplin. I cant just play the melody i had in my head, i hafto use a sample and i probly wont find somethin that sounds like what i had in my head.

Let me know if you know what im talkin bout here.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
yeah i understand, it is always good to expand your horizon.. keep at it!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
helix said:
Its not that im done samplin, im just tryin to get more musical, and cover more aspects of hip-hop. Im tryin to understand how to do some west-coast style shit. Lik if you pick up the True Crime LA soundtrack, thats just some of the kind of shit im tryin to get into. (im still samplin, im just tryin somethin new right now)

The other thing is, if i ever have a beat in my head, then i beatbox it and record it to them microcasettes, then when i go to do the beat, i have trouble doin that with samplin. I cant just play the melody i had in my head, i hafto use a sample and i probly wont find somethin that sounds like what i had in my head.

Let me know if you know what im talkin bout here.

Thats good shit helix, u always have to expand. The process you described is exaclty how i make my beats. I come up with a main meldoy and bulid upon that. I havent found a need to sample(yet) right now im just feeling composing. Many times when i do hear something i want to sample. I just play it on the keys in stead. That way u have alot more flexabltitiy.

Try and give that a try

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I actualy consider it like this, none sampling teaches you how to write scores, basic chords etc etc, If you dont know about this than it's half the game anyway. It's a basic to producing in general, not hiphop specificly, hiphop is samplism first, but knowing how to write a good score is the best addition.

ill o.g.
Im always tryin to find ways of gettin better, if i get good at synthin too, then like fomant said, its half the game. Ill be makin twice as many beats or twice as many sounds.

Im not in a mad rush to get any new equipment, im just tryin to know my specs before i buy somethin stupid.

I was just playin with the motif yesterday. It is dope. So is the triton LE. I really think the LE would be good for what im tryin to do, but when i think about it, i could a LE for $800, or get a 60 and a cheaper synth for the same price. I really need to think this through some more. I got a kid that does some kinda trance-industrial shit (i dont really know much about this genre) and he's got a band of people who all do this shit live. He's bringin over his microkorg to see if i like it, its only $400. But any more suggestions would be cool.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
triton le.... eh... leaves so much to be desired...microkorg is pure synth, no pianos/organs, nothin like that.. .

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
find a dirt cheap computer or adopt somones old one dont have to be great ,buy a used audiophile 2496 , then download some vst's and control them with your keyboard

cheapest & best sounds your gonna get.
shit like lounge lizard and elektrik piano sound fuckin dope especially when you eq them with some hardware

ill o.g.
erkl said:
find a dirt cheap computer or adopt somones old one dont have to be great ,buy a used audiophile 2496 , then download some vst's and control them with your keyboard

cheapest & best sounds your gonna get.
shit like lounge lizard and elektrik piano sound fuckin dope especially when you eq them with some hardware

I stopped usin computers. I dont wanna go back.