Turntablists cum Producers

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I've noticed that most of the better producers in anything electronic like techno or hip hop have all started out learning their craft on a pair of turntables and mixer.

How important is it that people first learn how to mix records, beat juggle, scratch, etc. on turntables before moving over to making their own music?

Or, what skills and techniques can someone learn by figuring out how to mix records together?

Thanks

Nick

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
ive been a truntablist for about 4 years now and have just seriously begun to prduce tracks. I think the then main advantage gained would be that i think DJ's tend to really listen to a record in much greater deapth than a normal person would ! They also learn the structure of songs better wot elements make up the song and more importantly wot makes a good song wot makes people react !
I'm not saying u need to be a dj to learn this stuff as anyone would is serious about producing and who spends time listening to music properly can learn but with dj's its like a subconcious thing where they dont really have to try to learn it but its just summit that comes thru being a dj ! thats my personal opinion neway !

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
^^Well said. From my experience DJing, I find that I really "got into" the records I was playing. I would sort of pick things apart and learn how the track was built, without even realizing it. It mainly happened when I was trying to mix 2 records together, I would be waiting for the next bar, or the hook to come in, etc.

One of the best things for me was beat juggling. By taking 2 records and picking them apart and creating something new, I really was able to learn a lot about certain records.

I think having a DJ background is not crucial, but it helps a lot when making beats.

R

Rip

agreed..its like it sort of becomes part of you after a while..embeds itself in your dna..

through sifting through thousands of records in one's career can make you a very critical person when it comes to musical qualities...

B

Briellz

Im situation is the other way around. I started making beats before djing.

members online