vinyl sound!!!!!!!!!

M

modogg

How can I give my beats that vinylsound and how do I give the drums more groove and make them phatter I wan't to gove my tracks I kind of rawkus undaground sound like talibkweli's beats is an ensoniq asr something for me i'm now using a korg trinityeack a jv1010 and a roland masterkeyboard I sample my dums on a computer and make my beats with fruityloops :confused: :confused: :confused:

E

Edtv

yo str8 up

yo str8 up, im not tryna be rude or anything but if u want that vinyl sound, you gots ta sample from vinyl, simple as that,

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
there are a couple vst plugins you can use. one is ocptcode fusion:vinyl or something along those lines theres one other can think off hand. if tweaked right you can add vinyl sounds(ie crackling scratches(not wicca wicca, scratches like a scrach across the record) hum, hiss and so forth. if tweaked right and used sparinly it can take that piano loop or string section your programed and make it seem like it was sampled. all in all its a decent plug in.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You can use a wave editor like Cool Edit to do this:

1. Load the sound you want to 'vinylize'.
2. Go to Edit>Convert sample type.
3. Choose mono, Left 50% Right 50%, hit ok.
4. Go to Effects>Filters and remove some of the low end, around 150hz, and remove some off the high end, around 15khz. Hit ok.
5. Go to Effects>Amplitude and choose Dynamics Processing.
6. Choose one of the presets and preview it, the goal is to find a preset which kills some of the dynamics of the audio you're working on to imitate the limited dynamic range of an over-played record.
7. Now that you have the file, save it and drop it into the multitrack.
8. Create a new file in the edit view and record a bunch of the silec parts at the beginnings ends of records (the turntable hum, crackles and pops are what we're interested in). Save them and drop them into the multitrack.
9. Go into the multitrack, loop duplicate your main audio file and delicately mix the different samples of the vinly files.
10. When you're satisfied, go to Edit>Mixdown and mix all the files together.

It's not perfect, but it's a darn site more convincing than just a simple vinyl plugin because you're replicating the acoustic qualities of vinyl, not just adding vinyl sounds.

Nick

B

Briellz

Ok you wanna a vinyl sound?

Man..there are a million and one wav's out there that have a vinyl sound (the sound of the niddle running on a record.) All you gotta do is download one of those, and loop it!

Thats what I doo...

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
every single thing you just stated to do in cool edit which would take you forever and a day to do. can be done with opcode fusion:vinyl. you want samples of it? check out some dan the automator records. he uses that plug in all the time. its one of his favorites according to an article/interview with him in computer music magazine. i have the article and will scan it if need be. no need to grow grey just adding some vinyl sound to a few bars of audio

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I checked out the Fusion:Vinyl plugin at Opcode's site:
http://www.opcode.com/products/fusion_vinyl/f_001.shtml#F_003

It does look very cool, it does everything mentioned for Cool Edit, like reducing bandwidth and squashing dynamics. Plus it can be run as a DX or VST effect.

Thanks for the heads up!

Isn't it funny, when producers were first samplig vinyls many moons ago they used to try to get RID of these clicks and pops by doing things like playing the records wet or covered in soap, nowadays we're doing the opposite by ripping cd's and running through dsp effects to ADD this noise!

Nick

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Lawtown, sounds like the famous quote from dawn of the dead!
"...when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.". ...

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
yea i jus couldnt remember exactly what they said so i jus paraphrased. i had that sampled in an old track of mine. worked nicely.

:D

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
get a vinyl effect vst for your computer like sound forge has.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Fusion vinyl or like my man said if you have a digital multitrack, protools or cool edit just keep a track of nothing but vinyl sound, yeah if Ur lazy then you won't but it works just have vinyl track to add to the mix....and maybe resample your track to 12 bits or halve the frequency to 22k or in that range.....

light

Producer
ill o.g.
how bout make your music then put it on vinal...

mike kilo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
just sample from vinyl and maybe reduce the bitrate from 16 to
12 or so. it´ll definitely sound more vinyllike.....

D

detox_one

Just sample the silent part before a song begins from a vynil record.

old supreme

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I read an Automator interview where he said he uses Fusion:Vinyl to make live studio recordings sound like he sampled them off vinyl.