WARZONE 2 - MY PICKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
Disclaimer: The following is strictly the honest constructive criticism/opinion of Beautiful Noise and Average Joe. Neither illmuzik, Fade or any moderators of this site share this opinion.

Ok, after going through each round of the latest Warzone Beat Battle, I am here to offer my picks as an unofficial judge of the competition:
ROUND 1
Bruce Lee Beatz vs Michele Beta - I pick Michele Beta because I'm not a fan of the sound that Bruce Lee Beats contributed. Michele, this beat sticks to the simple formula of beatmaking, but your mix needs work. Some sounds are too overpowering than others. My suggestion is to remix this beat by turning your master volume low: about 20% or less. Mixing at full volume wears out your ears too quick and sometimes you can't tell the mix is prime at those levels.

E_Buddha vs Benjizo - I pick Benjizo because the overall flow of the beat was better. The mix is nice, but I have to knock 2 points off for using a sample that's been flipped too many times already and for that annoying SFX @ 0:11. Ugggg, I hate that stupid played out sound. Other than that, good work.

KIZ ONE vs Brandon Simmons - I pick Brandon Simmons ONLY because I'm not a fan of that west coast g funk sound...and I live in California, where I hear it all the freakin time! Brandon, a few things wrong with this beat: it's missing something to give it more edge, perhaps another sound/sample to compliment the current sound, and that bassline sounds WAY too out of place for a beat like this. Maybe try experimenting with different basslines to find one that compliments this beat.

King Suma vs #LB# - I pick King Suma, although both beats were good. Suma, everything about this beat screams dope, except when that drum pattern comes in. I was expecting some hard drums to complete this beat, but that 808ish drum pattern really killed my anticipation of a complete gem of a beat. I think if you used some deep toms instead of a regular kick, a snappy snare and a 1/8 hat pattern, layer all 3 sections of these suggestions, this beat would definitely make my neck snap.

GTR-Beats vs Kenny Price - I pick Kenny Price because Thin Line sample is played out. Kenny, this beat goes hard on the jazz tip! Not really a fan of handclaps in drum patterns, but I can give it a pass, because you more than make up for it with the rest of this beat. Great work!

Jen vs Ruff Dug - I pick Ruff Dug because I wasn't sure what I was listening to with Jen's beat. I'm not a fan of that sound. Dug's beat reminds me of some Portishead shit. Dope stuff yo!

Silver Soprano vs Astro Lord - I pick Astro Lord because the flow of the beat sounds better. Soprano's beat sounded all over the place. Astro, this is a nice solid soulful beat, but WTF is up with that drum break at 0:15? That's the only part that screws this beat up.

onikaf vs namesi - I pick namesi because the flow of the beat sounds better. Onikaf's beat sounds like a work in progress, so keep doing what you do yo. I really have no constructive criticsm of namesi's beat. Everything sounds prime to me. Great job!

ROUND 2
Bruce Lee Beatz vs Benjizo - I pick Benjizo because that sound from Bruce kills my vibe. Not my steez yo. Only issue I have with Benjizo's beat is the played out sped up vocal sample. Other than that, nice work!

michele beta vs E_Buddha - This was the toughest choice for me because both beats were really dope. I pick Michele Beta though, because the flow of the beat was better. Buddha, the way you sampled that Xylophone/vibraphone was dope, but the BPM and the drum pattern needs work. I would say go with a faster bpm (90 - 93) for this beat and completely change the drum pattern to a 90's style boom bap, and you'll have a gem. Michele, I love the theme of this beat...it reminds me of the beat that shoulda been included in the Kill Bill movies. Dope shit!

KIZ ONE vs #LB# - I pick #LB# because...read my comments from round 1. #LB#, this beat is defintely dope...the flow of the beat is solid, but like I said before, I'm beyond sick of that Kanye West sped up vocal sample. Other than that, good work.

Brandon Simmons vs King Suma - I pick King Suma because I'm not a fan of that sound that Brandon did. I already gave my two cents on Suma's beat in round 1.

Jen vs GTR-Beats - I pick Jen because...read my round 1 comments on Thin Line sample. Jen, the ONLY issue I have with this beat is the volume of the hi hat. It is WAYYYYY too loud, and sticks out like a sore thumb. IMO, the hi hat is that filler part of the drums and should sit way in the back of the drum pattern: not too low so it's un-noticeable and not extremely loud like in this beat. It should sit in the beat somewhere in between those two volume levels, since hats have a higher frequency than the rest of the drums. Also, the volume of the hats depends on the time signature you're using: 1/4 should be a little louder than normal, since it only comes in on the one. 1/8 to 1/32 definitely needs to sit in the back of the pattern.

Kenny Price vs Ruff Dug - I pick Kenny Price because the flow of the beat was better. Kenny, I liked the way you used the samples in this beat. Everything about this beat is prime EXCEPT those snare rolls. 86 those rolls and you have a gem.

Silver Soprano vs namesi - I pick namesi because the vibe of the beat sounded better. Soprano, your beat's energy was dope, but I hate that cookie cutter 808ish pattern that everybody's using in they beats. namesi, the ONLY issue I have with this beat are those high pitched strings. They clash with the piano, since the piano is high pitched too. Take out those high pitched strings, keep the same pattern with that lower pitched string you're using and boost the volume of the lower pitched strings just a tad, and this beat will be prime. Good work.

Astro Lord vs onikaf - I pick Astro Lord. Onikaf, it sounds like this beat needs more structure. Astro, this beat is solid, but the mix needs a lot of work. The volume levels of everything is clashing. Remix this beat with the same advice I gave Michele Beta in round 1, and you'll have a dope beat.

ROUND 3
Bruce Lee Beatz vs #LB# - I pick #LB#. Read round 1 and 2 for my comments.

Michele Beta vs Brandon Simmons - I pick Michele Beta beacause the flow of the beat was better. Brandon, your beat was not bad, but needs to be tightened up a little bit...it sounds choppy, and that bassline...smh. Michele, your beat puts me in the vibe of writing some militant/murderous type shit to bodybag my opponents who dare to pick up a mic. Pure dopeness!

Jen vs Silver Soprano - I pick Silver Soprano because the flow was better. Soprano, the only annoying thing about this beat is that main sample. It's so loud, that it becomes annoying. Lower the volume of that sound so it sits in the beat better instead of sticking out too much, and this beat will be prime.

Kenny Price vs onikaf - I pick Kenny Price because he took it back to the 80's with this vibe. Reminds me of a Beat Street interlude. Only problem with your beat is the mix, but hey, if you're going for that raw 80's "no time for mixing" sound, you nailed it!

ROUND 4

#LB# vs Silver Soprano - I pick #LB#

Bruce Lee Beatz vs Jen - I pick Jen. Your beat has a nice mellow vibe, but that drum pattern needs to be mixed better. Turn those hats down (holding my ears)!

michele beta vs Kenny Price - I pick michele beta. Your overall sound and style is definitely my steez. I like the theme of this track. Kenny, your beat has potential, but needs to be mixed better.

OK, HERE'S THE MOMENT OF TRUTH (DRUM ROLL PLEASE)

DIAMOND: michele beta
PLATINUM: #LB#
GOLD: Kenny Price
SILVER: King Suma
BRONZE: Astro Lord

CONGRATULATIONS TO michele beta, WHO'S THE WINNER OF THIS EDITION OF WARZONE IMHO. CONGRATULATIONS TO SILVER SOPRANO FOR WINNING THE DIAMOND SPOT, ALTHOUGH I DON'T NECESSARILY SHARE THE SAME OPINION OF THE ILLMUZIK JUDGES. PEACE!

AVG JOE

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Wow, nice long review! I wish I had time to leave detailed reviews like this, but yours is on point.

I'll put this in the Warzone section.

AstroLord

Tropical Gameboy
Battle Points: 20
I felt so discouraged by the last warzone battle that I wasn't gonna enter this one, but after hearing your feedback I entered one beat like last second lol. I don't think I made it quick enough to be in the brackets, but I sincerely want to thank you for your feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online