Interviews West Coast Producer Tactik Talks About Beats, Gear, & Vinyl

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
tactik1.jpg

Tactik Beats, better known to the IllMuzik community simply as Tactik, is a producer from California that has been making music for quite a while. His style is primarily sample-based but he's slowly working his way to playing instruments so his music can get even better. He's won numerous beat competitions at IllMuzik and is one of our most well-known members. He took a time out from his musical creations to talk a bit about himself.

Hey Tactik, what's been going on?

Sup Fade and all IllMuzik heads! I've been keeping busy in the beat world and my realm of production, with my latest instrumental album release "Unorthodox". Still just on the quest for new methods of sampling and track layering techniques for my songs.

So tell everyone where you're from.

I dwell down south in California at the tip of San Diego county in a place called Carlsbad. I was born here and ended up living here for most of my life after a few moves around the bay area in Cali.

I know you're heavily into sampled-based beats, how did that start?

Computers. When I was into Drafting in high school, I also got into 3D modeling and computer game modifications. That is when I began using sound effects and learning how to record and arrange the sounds of my choice. I remember making my first sample beat with 8 hats and placing kicks and snares were I wanted them just to make a loop! Then I was introduced to Fruity Loops and the capability of using any WAV sound I wanted, it made my life much easier.

Although I grew up playing keyboards as a kid, this was my chance to combine my computer and keyboard skills together on the next level. Eventually when Napster was shut down I had to resort to more good samples. So instead of going through peoples' 80s/90s CD collections, I began my venture towards heavy old & dusty collections of wax.

tactik2.jpg

Are you totally against live instrumentation type of beats?

No, as a matter of fact there are so many instruments I am looking forward to using and recording with eventually. From a Piano to a Fender Rhodes, Clavi to Harpsichord, Vibraphones, Drums, Flutes, etc. There is quite a list of things I sample now that I sometimes wish I could just play to get all the notes I'm looking for with the real sound. But now it's vinyl records and MIDI instruments in my budget.

Jazz and R&B can be difficult to sample, particularly Jazz. How do you do it?

Equalization. Samples don't separate themselves. So with music like Jazz having so many sounds at once, an EQ board can help somewhat eliminate or capture what is in need. Then all the cutting and chopping will take place. This can take some time in Pro Tools, but with accurate results to help prevent popping and clicking on the ins and out of samples, but programs like Recycle and Ableton Live have great efficient features as well.

You're also a DJ, what kind of gear do you have? Still using regular vinyl or have you upgraded to vinyl control software?

I started with some Stanton tables and mixer 10 years ago that are still holding up, but I'm glad I was able to come up on some Techniques before they stopped production. I have been through a couple Numark mixers with a few problems here and there but nothing can compare to the Ranes nowadays. Even though I'm all about computer production, it took me a while to want to become what I used to call being an "MP3J". But now that I can mix whatever is needed for a show or mix, the possibilities seem endless. I especially have never felt more in control of any mixes before than using my own tracks for a show or recording.

How many records do you have? And how often do you go digging?

About 1,000. 75% of which are probably samples. Digging can be expensive and take some time to find gems, but it is almost like a vacation when I go every other month or so and dig deep and get those fingers dusty.

Have you done any type of DJ battles?

Not yet, although I don't label myself as a DJ I have bought plenty of scratching, breaks, and juggling records I enjoy just practicing with. But now that I can scratch or juggle ANYTHING I want with computer programs and control vinyls, I need to get on it.

Who are you main DJ influences?

Beat Junkies for one because of the way they mix and throw cuts down over them and DJ Revolution because he keeps it raw with the underground style I enjoy.

Making beats is fun, but how do you feel about mixing and mastering?

When it comes down to finishing an album, it's the most work. Although it takes a while, all of that quality time put into the mixing and mastering helps make an album sound like every song belongs together.

You've won numerous contests here at IllMuzik, how challenging are these contests?

Haha, you know I do have quite a few victories now but these guys aren't so easy. There are quite a few battles I though my beats would murder the contestants and I just will get myself handed to me! It's good to experience that though since it shows what the fans like and the other producers show their skills and abilities, by teaching you a lil lesson in beat making.

What kind of recording gear do you have?

All I need now is my Mbox 2 Mini for vinyl and lyrics.

What's the most important piece in your studio?

The Mac. Both my brother Terren who does photography and my best friend Sean who does indie film work, both proved to me it's the way to go for how much work I do with production and recording.

tactik3.jpg

You've already released a few albums, tell us about those.

The last 3 have came out a year after each other starting with Eccentrix in 2010, Amplify in 2011, and Unorthodox in 2012. I have really displayed my favorite style of Hip Hop from that Jazzy, Soulful, organic, even psychedelic breakbeat sound from the 90s. All of these albums can be heard from start to finish on my website TactiK Beats. These albums began when I started taking that extra time to master my tracks out. It's nice to have some friends in the recording mastering arts who have showed me some important tricks in Pro Tools.

Do you have any projects in the works?

Currently I am working on a project creating beats for Morris Cooper, a lyricist I met back though IllMuzik in 2008. We had some dope collaborations back then and thanks to the internet we connected again and are working on finishing his next album which will also be available though my webpage upon completion. I am also adding tracks to my next album Shades of Time, which can be heard during completion.

Any shout outs you'd like to give?

I have to start out with my best homie Sean Bauer. He has been so busy with his film but has found so many amazing samples for me and kept me busy as well. You are one bad ass mofo when it comes to those classics.

Next is Artoo, busy too but always been there to keep a producer productive and positive (when are we gonna record another track?).

Both of my Brothers Terren and Collin, always rockin to my new jams and keeping me motivated!

Then we have Tom, man do you realize how much you have taught me about music by introducing me to so many dope jams? Even just those times blazing in your ride listening to music have been a lesson to me.

Darko, no matter what city or state we are in, we will keep it going. Our production styles have such amazing similarities.

There is Karma, although we have are own studios and doing our own things, thanks for teaching me a few tricks. Especially introducing me to Reason 5.

Wiley! We have yet to work together more but the few tricks you have showed me with your audio skills have helped much already.

E3, you have been such a HUGE music production influence for me since day one. Thanks for always being there no matter how far away you are!

Concept. not only have you showed me everything I wanted to know about playing bass, but I can rewire almost ANYTHING now!

Guidebook beats, thanks for holding it down with me in North County, always appreciate the support.

Tmack, thanks for keeping your ears open and giving the feedback.

Reason, I know you're in your own world of Hip Hop now. But if you're reading this... thanks for prying me off of Fruity Loops!

And last but not least we have Fade! Thanks for keeping this Ill community alive and showing people what hip hop is all about.

Peace,
TactiK

More Information: TactiK Beats