what should I do?

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Alright heres my situation, I know that in order to get the attention of an A&R I gotta prove that I can move units at least locally and in order to sell locally I gotta get my name out major, so I got 2 new labels right now that are willing to help me accomplish this in a major way one is with an old friend of my dads runnin this lable called "Tainted" records they are currently workin on this guy wh they are gettin promotion with a album realeasin parties at major clubs down here, radio spins, payin for studio time for him, (and they would be payin for instrumentals but he makes those himself) and this is a dude that cant see me on a mic, they tell me that after this guy there gonna work on me jus think what I could do with that type of exposure! The other company is run by my uncle its called "Zone" entertainment, now this label is a little more established than Tainted records and the CEO (my uncle) has already had radio spins and been hosting battles at clubs (the majority of which I was in) and been doin shows on tour and everything and on top of that he knows 50 cent like personally so hes talkin with them tryin to open up shows for them when they are around (often) now my uncle is putting together a group of his own and wants to put me in the middle of the whole thing going on tour with him, droppin for his newest album comin(which is going to be pure heat I only heard 6 tracks and banged all of them start to finish) and try to have me in the studio with him as much as possible to soak up as much of the game as I can. So my question is who would you go with?

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
it seems your uncles label is more established than the other. plus he's your uncle so there should be more trust there. in actuality you don't have to be tied down to just one. i don't know what level you're at, but if you can pretty much handle yourself album wise( i.e. don't need alot of developing or coaching) you can put out projects on both labels and promote yourself doubly. if you need more development, go with the label that has the same vision of you as an artist as you do. they could want you to be 50 cent when you want to Common.

just my opinion.

BROUSSARD BEATS

BroussardGoHard
ill o.g.
first off im in houston and i would like to hear something you recorded
i would say go with your uncle Why wait for the next dude plus you can learn more with your peeps. Plus if the other guy blows up you might still have to wait longer. the best thing i would do is get on some tracks with you dads friend

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I think you should work with your uncle for the time being. It seems to me that he is making the moves to get in the business and that would only benefit you. The thing that bothers me about going with him is that it appears that he has his own agenda and I think that his MAIN focus would be getting himself in the door first. I think that you need someone TOTALLY focused on YOU. I feel that the person who is dedicated to your success will be the one who best serves you. I mean youre doing this for YOUR career 1st, not anyone else's...the same applies to him, he's doing what he does for HIS career first. The way I see it, you can gain exposure by working with him and whatever but when the time comes, get someone that will truely gain from helping you. That will motivate them to do whatever is needed for your success. When you sign with a major label, they show you how much confidence they have in you by promoting and marketing you. If they think they can make tons of benji's on you, they will do all the things needed to ensure that you blow up. If they don't have your picture all over the studio and on all the billboards, then it's obvious that you are not their main focus.
Alot of cats started out in the shadows of someone else but eventually you will have to go out on your own and get the right people in your corner. Hope this helps you in the future.

Good Luck,--dac

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'd recommend finding some local DJs and seeing if u can't get on a few mixtapes. make ur self a short ass demo like 3 tracks and make a bunch of copies.hand em out at the clubs, give em to DJs, in the club, on the radio, etc. you know, buy lotsa drinks too, gotta have good rapport wit those that make the decisions, like Onair programmers at the local hip hop station

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Goldy_C:

Here is what I think is happening:

Small time promoters are attempting to break into a field already saturated by individuals with "companies" attempting to make it. This is not to deride your uncle, but it sounds to me that he "paid" for his spins, and radio spins, unless they are on a consistent basis, don't really mean anything. Radio spins need to be logged for proof of spin through electronic monitoring by the service a specific station uses for that.

"Knowing" people is another thing, many artists, in their hopes to reach their dream, drop any ounce of rationality. Does your uncle now 50 cent on a level that he can help you out? 50 Cent plays shows often in your area? I don't think so, not at least to my knowledge because 50's shows are booked through WMA in the US and Helter Skelter in Europe. I doubt that 50's asking price would be met by many of the promoters you are talking of. Please clarify this. Name dropping usually occurs by people who do not have enough clout in the biz, and try to assert themselves through their alleged relationships with others, from which they attempt to leverage power over you. Always watch out about people who say they "know" somebody. Someone that can do something for you, and get it done immediately usually says: "i'll take care of it," will pick up the phone, call his contact, and the outcome will be achieved. It really is that simple if the relationship with a person is genuine. Watch out.

Please don't be lead on by anyone, even your uncle, assert your rationality and analyze the situation without bias.

I believe both of the companies you speak of are small time and incapable of having the resources to make it into the big leagues. At best, you will have better bookings, which you can hope will translate into some AR rep that hasn't been flooded by demo tapes of every new rapper to see you (refer to my post entitled "A&R 101" in this section).

Do you have radio hits? Are you sure? Has your uncle established a relationship with a local station? If you don't have radio hits, the phone won't ring unless you hit niche markets or a mainstream audience.

The thing with people like your uncle, or your dad's friend, is that if they even do succeed in getting an artist in the eye of a label, I (if I'm a label rep) will be the first person to remove the artist from original production company or mangement, because I have people that can do my company's bidding and have better clout, etc. The people you speak of are small fish that don't really stand a chance in dealings. A hungry artist will usually follow the "lustre of stardom" and try to go to a major. They will drop whoever helped them in the process of achieving "fame." Thus, the record company holds tremendous clout... think about it.

I do not mean to be offensive in my statement, I just hope you assert and assess yourself in a positive fashion. Think about all that you are doing, and assess the underlying interests of all parties involved.

Sincerely,
God

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
I dont take offense in anything you're sayin god its good of you to give me a rational view of the situation from another prospective, as for if I have made radio hits myself, nope but I dont think it would be that difficult to tone down my lyrics so they can be put on the radio and catch the ears of mainstream. As for 50 I remember since last year like 3 shows that were here maybe its not so much as he's always down here but the buzz before and after stays around for a while so it seems like its always here. I havnt actually ever been in the room with my uncle and 50 at the same time so i guess I shouldnt take his word for that. But in any case now that im really thinkin about it even IF he did know the guy 50 doesnt seem like the type of nigga to help out his own people or people he prolly barely knows at that so your right I dont wanna be lead on with that. I dont understand what I should do then should I just use one of them to get my name out then try to get picked up by a bigger company, if so how would I go about doin that lets say I put out an album down here and it sells really well but how would I get the AR's to notice that I know that they hardley listen to the demos tapes sent to them so would they take the time to read a resume? Also what could I do to determine if a track that I made is a radio hit or not? I can see now this is gonna be a hella bumpy road.

thanx for all yall help

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Hey Goldy, there are tons of ways to get in the industry, all of which is gonna require some luck. Let's take a look at it even before you need luck. You're gonna have to ask yourself some very serious questions and your answers will tell you which avenue you need to take. First, we all know that the industry is about making money, how are you gonna make money? Second, getting in the industry is alot like getting a job, you need to have already established yourself in your area. You wont stand a chance if you are straight off the street, nobody has heard of you, or you havent already captured the streets. If the record company were to go near your town and ask any Joe Blow..."What about Goldy_C, does he have any skills?"....What will Joe Blow say? "Who the hell is GC?" or "Yooooo GC is the hottest act around here!!!". See where I'm going with this? Most of the new cats that are out now were banging hits in thier buildings, then on their side of town, then their whole town, then their side of the state, then the whole state and so on...until a label picked them up. To some degree, there is almost a science to this...Back in the day, it was easier to get on because once corporate america saw the potential of hip-hop, they signed anybody that could half spit on a mic. Nowadays, you got to have a method. You have got put as much effort into being seen and heard as you do trying to get on. The most important thing is that you convince EVERYBODY you are the ish and back it up, by that time you wont need to ask "how do I get seen?" If youre lucky, they will have been watching you the whole time.
Scouts go out looking for unsigned talent. You have to make enough noise in the streets to get that scouts attention.

Yo, I dont know about you cats areas but around here, radio spots mean something but not alot. The key in my area is word of mouth and then radio play and all that.

I hope that some of that helps, I know that if you shake enough hands, meet enough people, your chance of meeting the right one increases each time. Good Luck...you can do this...holla back.

--dac

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Goldy_C:

I was going to write a long post, but a quick search netted me this result about the type of calculation that goes into selecting an artist that exudes an image... there are basically two images focused on by mainstream media for the 12-17 demographic, which is what advertisers vie for, and record companies want to appeal to.

Here is the link.

Read the synopsis on how the system works first:

Synopsis
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/etc/synopsis.html

Then read MTV's Todd Cunningham's interview on research and analysis and artist targeting:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/interviews/cunningham.html

Understand that for mainstream success, the general rules that a record company would sign you today is pretty much along the same lines as the ones shown in the links I gave you, regarding the "mook" demographic, and the "midriff" demographic. I don't like the names, but if you look at mainstream media, everything is pretty much segmented this way because it's the best way to capitalise on an investment especially through cross-brand pollinisation.

The point I'm trying to make is that A LOT OF THOUGHT AND TIME GOES INTO PUTTING WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR ON TV AND RADIO. Understand that what I just showed you with those articles are the mindsets of a lot of successful people in the industry that have adapted to the current times.

So, Goldy_C, if I'm a record exec, would you fit in the demographics I'm trying to target? For 12-17yr old males, 50 Cent and Eminem sure do, as well as Korn and Staind. For the 12-17 female demographic, Hillary Duff and Britney Spears are perfect examples of people who are being represented by individuals who understand the way the system of marketing talent works. EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW THIS INFO.

Think about this... please read the links, they are informative, and then let me know what you think about this.

Sincerely,
God

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yo, that is some GOOD info! My hat goes off to god for those links. I just feel like alot of cats think that they can make some dope work in their bedrooms, put it on a CD and walk into Def Jam thinking that they will have a chance of being put on. It just doesn't work like that anymore.

good job god!

--dac

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Thanx god I didnt ever think about stuff like that before heres what I got out of that whole thing. First off the teenagers are the ones that are doin the most buyin right now so the idea of a label would be to find an act that can relate to what the teenagers are livin through I guess this is why many of the mc's that we consider "dope" dont get out into mainstream because most of mainstream aint into that gangsta lifestyle while mc's like Eminem do really well because they connect with that anger that the teens today have and touch on subjects that we (teens) deal with today or like chingy who most fans of traditional hip hop think is gay but he makes that club bouncin ish and it sells because the leaders of mainstream (teens) are mostly club hoppers themselves. Also i see where the "mook" and "midriff" comes into play when i really try to look at and analyze the artist on top today like Justin Timberlake appeals to the younger women in a major way so i can see him bieng in the midriff catagory and dudes like eminem and 50 are both cocky and arrogant and a little bullheaded so they would be perfect examples of the mook catagory. I cant tell you how insightful this is, I can see now that Im gonna have to try to go with the flow of mainstream instead of going against the grain, I think I can do this I can make club bangers and songs on straight sex and violence (I done it before) so I guess the answer to your question would be yes, i do think that I can adjust. All those researches they do on us is wild i didnt even know they did stuff like that but its smart real smart. What this has got me thinkin is that I should try some commercial rap to get my name out and when I put out an album if I have to get a message out slip it on one or two songs on there. I dont know if you really believe me when I say that i can do whatever a label would want me to do because you havnt heard much of me if any but adjusting to different situations is where my real talent lies if the label says gansta rap its pistols and blood if they say songs to women I can do jon b and tupac type joints if its club bouncers they say is sellin i can make club bangers, but I have to thank you again god very much appreciated keep makin yo millions;) .

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
hey I had some input on that too....lol....j/k. Good Luck on your re-direction. Those were some awesome articles and were well written. When you blow up don't forget your ILLMUZIK peeps.

--dac

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
those were nice articles i printed them. good info..
Peace

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Yo kinda off topic...who da F*** is FRONTLINE???? Thats the unofficial name of my record company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn i hope it aint taken...this is serious

yo goldy C do you have anythin posted that you spit to?

well shit on topic: being a teen myself (17)..well more like an "informed teen" (meanin i understand marketing research, and watchin the market for the "next best thing" better then the "average teen". my dads been djin for 26 years and i started when i was 13 so i had to watch wut ppl dance to (i didnt know this could be considered marketin resaerch back then) but basicly i jus learned how to appeal to ppl my age/ teens and to watch the effects that different types of music has on differnt ppl. so it wasnt too hard for me to get ppl to feel my lyrics when i started rappin when i was 14. im jus sayin this shit to try and give my statements a lil bit of credability.
but most of the people that hear my rap deem me a lyrical king. (avg listeners+ above avg listeners)

im around highschoolers everyday, and one thing i can tell you that appeals to them is punchlines if you dont have any punchlines, but you have a decent flow, your lyrics are now officially appealin to about 25+ yr olds (approximately). and of course you have to know your geographics...you dont know how many times i heard the stupid argument..."whos better jay-z or T.i." and T.I. always come out on top. but that usually with the younger ones (9th 10th graders) thats cuz im more down south (Fayetteville NC) not too far south not too up north) right in the middle. but my point of view isnt just a NC point of view...my dads in da military so i been round da world, around all types of ppl.

ay my bad i gotta roll out ill prolly try and finish this in a lil bit.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
^^^^Yeah stresswon posted a track that I was on not too long ago in the showcase I think its the third or fourth one down, and youre acutally lucky that poeple where you at argue with TI (at least he has some talent) I gotta deal with people arguin to me that lil flip is better than Nas and Jay and Z-ro is better than Pac and big.

members online