When A Sample Is Loaded Into Reason...

• beat this! voting starts in...

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When a sample is loaded into Reason, the volume is slightly lower than when sampled hot into Adobe Audition. I'm using the NNXT sampler. I heard this is just how the Reason engine is... I have to raise the sample's db in the NNXT, which causes clipping sometimes..Anyone else experience this and what do you do?

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
u shouldnt care how loud the sound is until u get to the mixing. In order to avoid mixing u need to leave a reasonable amount of overhead for each channel. U do this by soloing each channel separately and bringing the fader and master fader to 127. Then, slowly start bringing down the volume from the engine until the clipping is gone. Now u got overhead to work with when mixing. U shouldnt care about the overall volume when mixing. What u should care about how all the signals sound together in the mix. You can always boost the overall volume of the mix in Adobe Audition. Still if u are not happy with the volume of the nnxt, you can always add a compressor and bring the realease to the left and the attack to the right. Bring the treshold down too.

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thing is the volume actually interferes with my composing. If I don't adjust the volumes I can't hear the drums because the melody is louder or the bassline is louder. What do you suggest for that?

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well just lower all of the tracks and raise the volume until u want it the way u want and when u finish the whole track take it into adobe or whatever editing program u have and normalize it.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If u cant hear your drums then just increase their volume in the mixer or decrease the melody. Do this just while you composing, u shouldnt worry about mixing at this stage. When u done with the composition and with the tracking then get down to mixing.
Sacred One is right about processing your track in Adobe. Export the track and then you can normalize it, compress it, do whatever u want with it.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Tha mixer in reason by default is set to play back audio at a -6db ratio...If you want to make it go to 0db and attentuate tha sound you can split tha wires of any module into 2 channels of theyre own by basically taking tha right wire from tha redrum in tha back of tha mixer and runnning it to tha nex channel over in tha left input...then tab back and pan tha left channel hard left, and tha right hard right..If this is confusing, try checkin out Peffs page, i think he demonstrates this somewhere as a rns. file.

STEEZ

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I understand what you're saying. Is the NNXT mono as well? I would like to output each of NNXT's channel into a separate mixer channel. I will have to try the splitter. Will the splitter let me use just 1 channel on the mixer and achieve the 0db stereo output?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well tha NN-XT is actually stereo and i forgot how many outs u get, but u can route about 5 or 6 samples loaded into one XT to a mixer like u wanted...U really dont need a splitter.

What youl do is this: Once u have your XT and all your samples loaded into it...Then youl need to add a mixer for tha channels your about to route. Once your mixer is ready, go to yer XT and highlight tha first sample in tha window - then look at what sample output is has. Tha very 1st one should be 1-2...Then click on yer second sample in tha window and go down to tha sample output knob again and choose 3-4, and keep going up for each new sample after.....

Then, TAB back and youl see all those open outs. All u gotta do now is simply drag yer 1-2 to tha 1st channel on yer new mixer and then repeat these steps for tha other samples.

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, I know about that. That's how I have it. Each NNXT channel is even attached to 2 parametric EQs, compressor, and reverb. :) Thing is I want each NNXT channel louder. As in 0db. I guess I'm going to have to use 2 mixer channels per NNXT channel and pan.

members online