Why does this seem to ring true today as it did in the early 90's

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
As a hip-hop enthusiast since high school, like many of us, I used to pump Tribe Called Quest during their heyday. Why does this lyric from "Check the Rhyme" seem to still ring true today as it did almost 30 years ago?

Industry rule number four-thousand-and-eighty;

Record company people are shady

So kids watch your back 'cause I think they smoke crack

I don't doubt it, look at how they act

Well off to better things like a hip-hop forum

Pass me the rock and I'll score 'em with decorum

And proper—what you say Hammer? Proper

Rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop

The part that I am most interested in getting feedback on is why does it still seem that "record company people are shady" --- For example, if as an artist, producer, etc... you try to sign to a label versus the independent route, they seem to want your soul and give not much in return. Why is this? Is the price of making it in the music industry just too great or is the independent route the answer to realizing eventual success in the industry?

Fury Beats

Fury Beats

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I remember a movie way back about some group that was trying to get signed in the 1950s, and it showed how shady it was then too. Back then it was like this massive thing if you got a deal, but they quickly realized the label was screwing them from day one. As time went on they slowly started to break apart and the group disbanded and all that.

Like the whole thing about the upfront money they "give" you when you sign. Most didn't realize that was just a loan that you had to pay back to the label, forcing artists to make two or three more albums just to get out of debt. After that the label drops them and that's the end.

Bottom line is that the sole purpose of a record label is to make money off a product, which is the artist. Once they've made their money and the artist is no longer making them enough, game over.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
It's too bad it's like that which is further proof that as artists, the independent route may be the best way to go these days. Just have to learn how to bootstrap with a startup mentality (for the business side of things)...

I remember a movie way back about some group that was trying to get signed in the 1950s, and it showed how shady it was then too. Back then it was like this massive thing if you got a deal, but they quickly realized the label was screwing them from day one. As time went on they slowly started to break apart and the group disbanded and all that.

Like the whole thing about the upfront money they "give" you when you sign. Most didn't realize that was just a loan that you had to pay back to the label, forcing artists to make two or three more albums just to get out of debt. After that the label drops them and that's the end.

Bottom line is that the sole purpose of a record label is to make money off a product, which is the artist. Once they've made their money and the artist is no longer making them enough, game over.
Thats basically the cold hard truth of it. Many labels failures were supported by their RARE successes. Labels used to take more chances on experimental music too, they used to push boundaries of creativity, its all become cookie cutter music, formulaic and lacking in soul and diversity.

But thats business, business doesnt care about anything but making more money.
Thats a huge part of the reason I became disillusioned with the industry and didnt make music for about 7 years

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I mean sure it’s a business, absolutely. But I would argue that labels bring a lot to the table with distribution and marketing etc that is near impossible for an indie artist. There is a reason that the biggest artists in the world still use labels. And everyone needs to make a profit and a living. Nothing wrong with that for sure. But yea there was a LOT of shady things labels did in the past.

I mean sure it’s a business, absolutely. But I would argue that labels bring a lot to the table with distribution and marketing etc that is near impossible for an indie artist. There is a reason that the biggest artists in the world still use labels. And everyone needs to make a profit and a living. Nothing wrong with that for sure. But yea there was a LOT of shady things labels did in the past.
As long as you know what you are getting into you can be cautious and protect yourself. But even shows like X-Factor and Pop Idol show that the industry is still exploiting the dreams of naive talented artists to this very day.
Yes labels can bring a lot to the table, with distribution, tour management, promotion and experience. But they do it for them, not you.
As long as artists take their advance fully aware that its a loan that has to pay for all the distribution, promotion, entourage, touring costs, productions costs, mixing and mastering costs. It literally pays for everything. As long as the artist understands that not a single penny of royalties is paid to them until the label has its advance money paid back and producers have been paid.

The industry is still very shady, because its a business and because of the industries history and connections.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Oh yea I always laugh then a new artist get their first advance and they go buy a fancy car. That advance is literally for making the record and promoting it and you don’t get another dime until the record sells enough that the advance is paid back. Which is pretty fair imho but so many artist just miss that point. A lot of rappers do seem to really understand the business side of things and that’s why they can remain successful so long. Jay-z, 50 cent and Kanye all come to mind here.

I always wondered what would happen if an artist got an advanced but didn't spend it, then when the label tells them to pay back they're all "here you go".
they dont get to save it, it gets spent on everything to do with the release. Hiring out Lambo's for the video shoots dont pay for themselves.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
See that’s kinda a misconception Fade, the advance is ONLY to make the record/videos promote whatever. By definition an “advance” is a cut of what they think the sales will be. Artists can kinda spend the money how they want. So when they go buy a house they are already screwing themselves. Because if the record doesn’t make enough then they can’t do anything career wise because they owe the label.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah that's it, I never understood why anyone would get caught up in it whether it's an actual advance or just a cut. Either way spending like that makes no sense. Even for athletes that sign their first contract and go out and buy a million on jewelry or whatever, just ridiculous. It's a straight up business where there will always be someone taking their percentage.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
For sure man. As in all things money buys you freedom and debt is slavery. So save, invest and pay off debt as fast as possible. Be humble and don’t spend beyond your means. People that don’t understand money will see a million dollars and will spend 1.1 million. People that get money will make that million work for them and spend only the interest.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Indie @Fury Beats labels historically have been a way for artists to prove themselves before going major but thing is majors have had/do have the reach indies can't/don't but both sides are exploitative as the music biz was built on criminality and exploitation and hates when artists are empowered with correct knowledge on how the biz works.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

Was it The Five Heartbeats or The Temptations?

members online