Working wit Artists

beats18

ill o.g.
I am a producer but I need artists to work with. How do I get in touch with local talent? And how do I market my website better to get to the point where local artists are calling me?

AHXBEATS

AHXIMUS PRIME
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Network, and when your done. network some more. Let it be known to everyone you meet, that you produce music. that's what i do. I don't care If I'm buying socks in the store, if someone asks me what I do for a living, I tell them who I work for, then I tell them that I also produce music. You'll be suprised on the outcome. You never who you'll meet nowadays. That weird looking dude in mcdonalds, that you see every time you go there could no someone who can help you. Never underestimate someones apperance, or what they do.

X-RAY
"aka"
Jewel Avenue OX

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
man, he';s right. I was in your same [position once man ...go to open mics, hand out beats with your number....get a recording setup (mic, preamp) ...once you obtain good souind quality, man, mcs wont leave you alone. take it from me, THEY WONT LEAVE YOU ALONE, hehehe

ChaseCashe

ill o.g.
Give out free beats..people want to charge for beats and shit too much...when they not signed and not moving anything. You gotta give to get...remember that

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
if you got a site and want to hit the locals, make some stickers or get them printed with your websitelink and that it is about beats, stick em where a lot of cats hang out, at venues and stuff, and central places where a lot of people come, trainstation, busstops and so on.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
beats18 said:
I am a producer but I need artists to work with. How do I get in touch with local talent? And how do I market my website better to get to the point where local artists are calling me?

Read Blowing Up From The Basement my friend, and you'll get a lot of the answers you're looking for. Here's a link below:

https://www.illmuzik.com/articles/industry/blowingup/index.php?ID=52

Trust me, I meet a LOT of producers all the time, and they're all the same.
EVERYBODY has:

1. "That fire" (hot tracks)
2. Beats for a low,low price
3. Low hourly rates and affordable prices to record at their studio.

Most aspiring "music people" don't take into account that being professional, returning calls, being on time etc. will take them a lot further than your actual talent.

The first thing you should do is: build a catalog of beats , and invade the local scene.
Find out what's poppin your area and find a way to be a part of it. Most "local artists" respond well to compilations and mixtapes, because it helps their exposure, so start with that angle and network.
Read those Blowing Up from the Basement articles too, and if you got questions hit me up.

ALLEYCAT

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Try this and see if it u gets u some clientel,worked for me when i first started trying to sell beats,
1. Go to kinkos print out some flyers saying
NEED BEATS in a large bold font
(list your style hip/r&b etc.)
make sure to put your number and email addy.
1. Leave'em at all music stores, definitely mom and pops
2.Hit your local college campus(es) and post them up
3.Hit all local talent shows/open mics as well
4.And now with sites like My****.com( not sure if could say this)u can create a free music site, once thats done search for all other artsist in your area and try to network wit them.

just some ideas u can try.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
What everyone listed above is good (all good). one thing friends of mine has done is gone to music stores (GC etc) Make good friends with the Salesmen and managers bringing them customers and all. He sat down print of 1,000 copies of remix Cd posters cards etc and Gc just put them all around the Store. Also made it known that he was very skilled with software and diag,Bass player and was willing to work for FREE. So not only were hiphop heads calling him studio's locally were calling him to help out in sessions alot of Studio just paid the man anyway. even though it wasn't always what he wanted to work on he met alot of people with alot of good connections in his style of music.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
heres how i got a street buzz.... seriously

i was chattin to one cat thats like 40 years old at my job... turns out this nigga has been tryin to get signed for like the last 20 years.. i gave him some beats for free an shit cuz he he was hypin himself up so much that i had to hear him.... The nigga is straight garbage.. cant ryhme well and he is like 40 still tryin to come up.... but he LOVES my beats .. i mean loves them.... he also has the biggest mouth in the world.. and he knows alot of cats from tryin to get a deal so long.. so in other words, he is best promoter for my music there is.. period.. He honestly loves my music and he tells evrybody yo lisen to this track! listen to that one! .. he plays that shit evrywhere....and cats pass on his ryhmin but there like yo who made this beat!! ive gotten more contacts from this one cat just running around playin my shit than any other sources COMBINED.. so long story short.. find a rapper with absolutley no shame and give him beats.. it will pay off lol...

tru story btw

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
The internet is a powerful tool if you know how to use it right . . .

- Hit up sites like HipHopGame.com or any other sites that showcase up coming artists/underground artists and look for contact info and websites to contact . . .

- Hit up emails . . . An email can get you a long way if you do it PROPERLY and PROFESSIONALLY . . . Inquire about sending a sampler over to be viewed (3-5 30 clips of beats) and if they are interested you will gladly send over something for them to work with . . .

Look for upcoming/underground artists who are making noise and try to get in contact with them . . . Keep hitten people up and eventually someone will give you a listen and hopefully your work is good enough that they like and agree to work with it . . .

Network with other producers as well . . . If you get up with a good network of people some will link you up with others and possbily put you onto other things . . .

Hope some of that could be of some help . . .

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Nnxt said:
What everyone listed above is good (all good). one thing friends of mine has done is gone to music stores (GC etc) Make good friends with the Salesmen and managers bringing them customers and all. He sat down print of 1,000 copies of remix Cd posters cards etc and Gc just put them all around the Store. Also made it known that he was very skilled with software and diag,Bass player and was willing to work for FREE. So not only were hiphop heads calling him studio's locally were calling him to help out in sessions alot of Studio just paid the man anyway. even though it wasn't always what he wanted to work on he met alot of people with alot of good connections in his style of music.
Thats brilliant, really that was a damn good way to get known.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Ash Holmz said:

i was chattin to one cat thats like 40 years old at my job... turns out this nigga has been tryin to get signed for like the last 20 years.. i gave him some beats for free an shit cuz he he was hypin himself up so much that i had to hear him.... The nigga is straight garbage.. cant ryhme well and he is like 40 still tryin to come up.... but he LOVES my beats .. i mean loves them.... he also has the biggest mouth in the world.. and he knows alot of cats from tryin to get a deal so long.. so in other words, he is best promoter for my music there is.. period.. He honestly loves my music and he tells evrybody yo lisen to this track! listen to that one! .. he plays that shit evrywhere....and cats pass on his ryhmin but there like yo who made this beat!! ive gotten more contacts from this one cat just running around playin my shit than any other sources COMBINED.. so long story short.. find a rapper with absolutley no shame and give him beats.. it will pay off lol...

tru story btw

And that's coming from the guy who says he hustles the hardest.. haha.,.. Dude, that guy is hustling the hardest u just claiming a title the 40 year old earned..:D

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
ya got to hustle to find other hustlers and let them hustle for you ... thus u r the superior hustler by finding the hardest hustlers to hustle for u .. hustling is more than working hard its working smart ... and the smartest hustlers hustle the hustlers into hustlin for the sake of hustlin... its just an expression.. most of the time im lazy just like ur eyes

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
Ash Holmz said:

tru story btw

this story got me cracked up! So funny...