Your God makes a beat... (video)

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
On the real tho, those machines are just dumb to me, navigating through all that shit with 10mio. button combinations n shit when you have the same stuff in a few clicks with a mouse..i dont feel it tbh. Yeah you get that "feel/swing" but i think if you can make that happen in a MPC you def can make it in a DAW and its not that complicated. Any DAW, a good MIDI keyboard, some monitors/monitoring headset and lezz giddit.

All the stuff he said about next lvl is paid advertisement.. Dude was makin trap bangers on Win XP laptops n shit.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
"Yeah, keepin it really simple"

Beat goes like: "Mmmm tttttttztzttttzttzztzttztzAHHHAHHHAHHTRRTRTRtrtttrtAhhjAaahhhbrrbrrbrrbrtbbtztttztttzzztttttpfpfpfbbrrr"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
On the real tho, those machines are just dumb to me, navigating through all that shit with 10mio. button combinations n shit when you have the same stuff in a few clicks with a mouse..i dont feel it tbh. Yeah you get that "feel/swing" but i think if you can make that happen in a MPC you def can make it in a DAW and its not that complicated. Any DAW, a good MIDI keyboard, some monitors/monitoring headset and lezz giddit.

All the stuff he said about next lvl is paid advertisement.. Dude was makin trap bangers on Win XP laptops n shit.
Nah they're good. I had a play about with one. The way you explore and use sounds is different. Also staying hands onlike that really keeps you in the zone.

And having a physical means of playing stuff in gives your music a different vibe. And not just because of timing and velocity alone. The stuff you play itself will likely be different and coming from somewhere much more real and authentic.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Nah they're good. I had a play about with one. The way you explore and use sounds is different. Also staying hands onlike that really keeps you in the zone.

And having a physical means of playing stuff in gives your music a different vibe. And not just because of timing and velocity alone. The stuff you play itself will likely be different and coming from somewhere much more real and authentic.
I still think its just a matter of taste like ppl being on OSX or Windows, basically the same possibilities just another workflow, im not hating on those machines, but i feel like, as i said, you can achieve the same sound using either this or that, depends on your skills, if you can make bangers with MPC, you can make bangers with a DAW only. But i guess thats like discussing religion.

No hate.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
much more real and authentic.
And this occurs when you actually put in work in the sample itself, how Lex did in the video, thats what he said: "make it sound like you", no matter if you use hardware or software plugins.

Like ordinary listeners will fkin care if its produced by hard- or software, only producers themselves, either hardcore hardware fanatics or software junkies will notice the difference, but then you re not making music for other producers you make it for the ordinary fucker that doesnt want/has time to make his/her own music.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@DPrezd Beggar I know what you're saying, but each piece of hardware and software has its own feel. I've been there, done that, made beats with a drum machine and a sampler, then did it with just a mouse and a computer. Both are good but I've always been big on having something I can feel, touch, twist and press, etc.

I hate staring at a computer screen when making beats. I find using my ears with the MPC workflow is SO much better, but that's where Maschine (and now Akai) bridges the gap so you don't have to look at the computer if you don't want to.

The main thing is even though making beats with just a DAW is extremely powerful, I found that for myself it just became too much of a copy & paste setup where everything felt like a routine. There's nothing about using a DAW that inspires me.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
The main thing is even though making beats with just a DAW is extremely powerful, I found that for myself it just became too much of a copy & paste setup where everything felt like a routine. There's nothing about using a DAW that inspires me.
Yes, thats what im saying, they re both good and have their place but its just a preference of the user. But saying you ll never be that good when you dont use hardware samplers/drum machines is imo just bullshit, no offense.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
For me, why i like using a computer only to make music is just its cheaper, you can replace parts if they break down very easy and its faster, i did play around with hardware too but it was just imo too clunky pressing this button then this button to switch modes n stuff like that then pressing another button, turning the knob and stuff while i just make 2-3 clicks and achieve the same result, just dragging in samples, click on "add effect" click on a knob move the mouse and done, just feels more intuitive to me.

But yeah its like a religion on its own Hard vs Software. :ROFLMAO:(y)

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
The only thing i really feel is kinda a must, is a good ass MIDI keyboard. That makes creating melodies so much faster/easier imo, since you can play around with all the keys, find stuff that sounds good very quick while clicking notes into piano roll and moving them around feels clunky af.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
And this occurs when you actually put in work in the sample itself, how Lex did in the video, thats what he said: "make it sound like you", no matter if you use hardware or software plugins.

Like ordinary listeners will fkin care if its produced by hard- or software, only producers themselves, either hardcore hardware fanatics or software junkies will notice the difference, but then you re not making music for other producers you make it for the ordinary fucker that doesnt want/has time to make his/her own music.

Have to suggest you're wrong, as this extends beyond opinion...

So firstly those small nuanced differences you refer to that are imparted by the hardware, are noticed by listeners. Not on an analytical level, but there's a difference they can't explain, which just adds something.

But secondly (tho this was my main point) is that you will not make the same thing if you sit down with a mouse as you will if you sit down with a keyboard or drumpads.

It influences what you make. And my personal experience with it, and also Lex's(of course many others) is that organic connection you have with what you're playing - there's a human connection related with your physical movement to the music. What you're making has a more intrinsic connection with the human nature than just pointing and clicking.
And like I said, I'm not merely referring to the velocity/timing.

I'm sure there are exceptions here and there. But largely speaking.

It's one of the reasons why when musicians start producing beats, even if there production choices are off, there's something "proper" sounding about what they make. Because they're used to having that human connection with their music/sounds.

Getting a midi keyboard was one of the biggest game-changers for me. I think the more hands-on things you get, only continues to push things in that direction.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Have to suggest you're wrong, as this extends beyond opinion...

So firstly those small nuanced differences you refer to that are imparted by the hardware, are noticed by listeners. Not on an analytical level, but there's a difference they can't explain, which just adds something.

But secondly (tho this was my main point) is that you will not make the same thing if you sit down with a mouse as you will if you sit down with a keyboard or drumpads.

It influences what you make. And my personal experience with it, and also Lex's(of course many others) is that organic connection you have with what you're playing - there's a human connection related with your physical movement to the music. What you're making has a more intrinsic connection with the human nature than just pointing and clicking.
And like I said, I'm not merely referring to the velocity/timing.

I'm sure there are exceptions here and there. But largely speaking.

It's one of the reasons why when musicians start producing beats, even if there production choices are off, there's something "proper" sounding about what they make. Because they're used to having that human connection with their music/sounds.

Getting a midi keyboard was one of the biggest game-changers for me. I think the more hands-on things you get, only continues to push things in that direction.
Bruv, im so connected to my mouse and keyboard, like duuuuuuuuuuuuude im so stoked when moving my mouse and that friction it creates on the mousepad BRUV its like orgasmic ah get the fk outta here, jk, no front, call me ignorant or just a bad music maker, which i am, but hey on the other hand you liked my drums that i clicked in, so yeah.

Im just a poor ass MF and maybe thats why i have this opinion but truss, like fr, truss, ima still make dope ass drums. And my beats be bangin, like thots gettin gangin and melodies that are infectious, G, like 100% bitches gettin STDs, GEAH :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

man im drunk, sorry, but fr, on the MIDI Keyboard im 10000000000000000000000034i85924675748954757457345824752789% witchu, the other stuff, fk it.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
are noticed by listeners. Not on an analytical level, but there's a difference they can't explain, which just adds something.

Late addition but just came to mind....thats why they be like "BROOOOO SO FIIIIIRE!!!!!!! ONG ONL UWU XOXO" when hearing out of key 808s

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think the biggest thing for me is I just got tired of using the mouse to make beats since I use the computer all day already. I needed something away from the computer, and I think it reflects in what we're seeing now with some new products, like the MPC One which is both controller and standalone. To each his own of course, but I just find it's more fun with a standalone. I'm not looking to make quick beats. When I had Maschine though, the workflow was crazy fast!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What's @Fade it now for you just your MPC5000 or?

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
I think the biggest thing for me is I just got tired of using the mouse to make beats since I use the computer all day already. I needed something away from the computer, and I think it reflects in what we're seeing now with some new products, like the MPC One which is both controller and standalone. To each his own of course, but I just find it's more fun with a standalone. I'm not looking to make quick beats. When I had Maschine though, the workflow was crazy fast!
Thats why I made the switch. Yeah, the mpc one is basically a daw in a box, but having hardware just enhances the experience for me. Bro, digging for vinyl and finding a classic sample from and old tribe record or something is a feeling unmatched. For me, anyway. And yes, the work flow is fast for me as well.

members online