Reviews A Tribe Called Quest 'Midnight Marauders' Retrospective

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
ATCQ-Midnight-Marauders-album-cover-300x289.jpg

Midnight Marauders is considered by many as A Tribe Called Quest's best album. Back in 1993, the LP was highly anticipated by fans who were wondering if Tribe could adapt to the then Hardcore Hip Hop climate. Because let's face it : the band has developed a cult following for its positive, fun juvenile vibe ... not gun clapping and other "gangsterisms". Needless to say the trio didn't disappoint. Production is handled by the artists (Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed), except tracks number 4 and 11 (produced by Skeff Anselm and Large professor respectively).

1. Midnight Marauders Tour Guide (N/A)

This a short intro featuring a weird telephone server voice. The "voice" can be found throughout the LP.

2. Steve Biko (Stir It Up) (5 out of 5 Classic)

Phife and Tip rhyme over an addictive electric piano driven beat. They briefly pay homage to Steve Biko, the South African activist but the track is really about bragging rights.

3. Award Tour (ft. Trugoy the Dove) (5 out of 5 Classic)

Your typical "giving shout outs to all US cities" 90's track. Trugoy of De La Soul is on the hook. The beat is sublime with a nice collage of xylophones, horns and keys. Tip and Phife come correct with dope battle rhymes.

4. 8 Million Stories (4 out of 5 Good)

A solo Phife track, in which he's complaining about his problems and the downsides of his "nouveau riche" status. Solid minimalistic bass-heavy beat here.

5. Sucka Nigga (5 out of 5 Classic)

This is a solo Q-Tip track. Tip talks about the "N Word" and its misuse, he even concedes he can't stop using it himself, even though he shouldn't. Awesome jazzy beat featuring keys, an acoustic bass, saxophones and a cool vocal sample. Ali adds a nice touch with the occasional cuts.

6. Midnight (ft. Raphael Saadiq) (5 out of 5 Classic)

Another Q-Tip solo. He explains the concept of the album: night time is his main inspiration as an artist. To him night means darkness, crime, violence ... these raw emotions leading to creativity. Raphael Saadiq of Toni Tone Tone contributes to the instrumental, a tough atonal wutangish beat with hard drums and keys.

7. We Can Get Down (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

A dope battle track with a joyous/party vibe. Feeling the massive drums, keys and cuts.

8. Electric Relaxation (5 out of 5 Classic)

Probably the best effort on the LP and an all-time classic. Electric Relaxation is basically a track on the art of hooking up with chicks. While the subject matter is quite standard, the execution is just perfect. The smooth guitar sample, hard drums, phat bassline, daring but non-vulgar rhymes ... the whole thing is superb!

9. Clap Your Hands (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

This braggadocio song is using the classic Nautilus break on the hook. I like the contrast between the rough scratch chorus and the smooth key-driven verses.

10. Oh My God (ft. Busta Rhymes) (5 out of 5 Classic)

Another all-time classic. The beat is somewhat Pete Rockish with the horns and huge bassline. Busta is on the hook screaming "Oh My God" (yea that's all). Subject-wise it's all about bragging rights.

11. Keep It Rollin'(ft. Large Professor) (4 out of 5 Good)

Another battle track with smooth keys, bassline and wind instruments. Large Professor is explicitly dissing his former Main Source band-mates.

12. The Chase, Part II (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

A smooth track with a dope Biz Markie sample on the hook. Nice electric piano and guitars.

13. Lyrics to Go (5 out of 5 Classic)

Another battle track with an interesting contrast between the hard electric guitar and the smooth piano on the beat (risky combination but it worked). Classic Tribe!

14. God Lives Through (5 out of 5 Classic)

This is simply my favorite ATCQ track! Contrary to what the title suggests, it's not about religion (bragging rights again). The beat is a sublime collage of guitars, horns, and acoustic bass with an in-temporal groovy vibe. Phife and Tip flow effortlessly.

Conclusion: With this LP,Tribe proved it could deliver more rugged materials and yet retain its playful vibe. There are at least 7-8 classic tracks on the album which hasn't aged at all after almost 18 years!

Final Score: 5 out of 5

READ THE REVIEWS ON AMAZON

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
High school sophmore year LOL... Still to this day the beat to "Lyrics to Go" plays in my head constently.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Definitely one of the greatest of all time. I used to say "music ain't what was back in the day" never thinking that I would ever say "rap ain't what was back in the day".

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Classic LP, lots of memories, although recently, I've been feeling "Lyrics to Go" alot... dope track.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Maaaaaan, there's so many dope tracks on this LP, it's unreal. I really don't know which one is my favorite on here, they all stand out to me.

members online