Anyone want their beat mixed?

Leopard Cohen

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 22
I'll take you up on this if the offer still stands @Iron Keys.
Mixing is the part of beatmaking that I struggle with the most.
Just have to figure out how to track out stems from my SP as I currently do all of my mixing (poorly) in that box.
I know it's do-able, just haven't done it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 565
I'll take you up on this if the offer still stands @Iron Keys.
Mixing is the part of beatmaking that I struggle with the most.
Just have to figure out how to track out stems from my SP as I currently do all of my mixing (poorly) in that box.
I know it's do-able, just haven't done it.
Indeed it still duzz!

Figure it out and send 'em across.
Always got time to mix a beat for someone with a name like Leopard Cohen!

Battle Points: 22
Nice!

Interesting so far I've had...
- Whatever funky style Jimulacrums was
- 2000s NY mixtape
- Boom Bap
- (and now) Trap
- [got one coming up with vocals]

Completing the set... do I yell out BINGO! ?
Thanks..

Damn, nice variety - it's got to be fun to work with. Im excited for my final mix and learning from the process too. There was some dissonance in it n i couldn't figure out how to change that. I was even thinking about switching out some instruments, but was worried that it change the overall sound. So, your help with the mix is much appreciated.

N lol yelling bingo would get our attention.. we'd be able to hear u for sure

Last edited:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Thanks..

Damn, nice variety - it's got to be fun to work with. Im excited for my final mix and learning from the process too. There was some dissonance in it n i couldn't figure out how to change that. I was even thinking about switching out some instruments, but was worried that it change the overall sound. So, your help with the mix is much appreciated.

N lol yelling bingo would get our attention.. we'd be able to hear u for sure
seems there's more gym and post than working though. I've heard dusty guitars and drums can cast a spell on you. perhaps it was the purple monkey I heard last night upstairs.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
seems there's more gym and post than working though. I've heard dusty guitars and drums can cast a spell on you. perhaps it was the purple monkey I heard last night upstairs.

The Purple Space Chimp is a mischievous critter.

You'll have to take issue with Mister Fade as he dangled his trackouts in front of me and I was playing with them til the early hours.

I also was tempted to try mix your track again but slightly different and see the outcome.

I have more time tonight, so hopefully will get across yours, Fades and another. Mixes are otherwise done.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
The Purple Space Chimp is a mischievous critter.

You'll have to take issue with Mister Fade as he dangled his trackouts in front of me and I was playing with them til the early hours.

I also was tempted to try mix your track again but slightly different and see the outcome.

I have more time tonight, so hopefully will get across yours, Fades and another. Mixes are otherwise done.
np bro I'm fucking around. your excitement inspired me to make another rap rock like beat last night

Dusty B

ILLIEN

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
good mourning is fucking dope! what do you mix with btw/what's your gear?

made this one last night: progressive rock x hip-hop. just actually kicked over the stems to my engineer buddy so standby for a final mix down of this one too

Nice beat man. Mix sounds alright too!

Thanks, brother. I mix in Studio One 4.6 (before this past week), and was mixing on Alesis M1 Mk2 Monitors. Rarely I would cross reference on headphones.
Now I'm mixing on Studio One 6 using VSX headphones.
Plugins are a bunch of things I've acquired over the years, stock stuff, PA mostly.

Yeah this beat of yours is really good, the arrangement and the changeup. Mix decent too. Drum pattern/bounce is nice. Tell me about your process on this one...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Nothing here yet.

well, yes. this is an older one of mine that I still love and would love to hear mixed properly. Here are the stems/trackouts + some mix notes on what I was trying to accomplish: //https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RzqZdEMd6tusxCD2eY3XZ-2SeA6_gEEE/view?usp=sharing

(get rid of the first 2 "//" it kept showing as media).

Looking forward to what you do with it my friend with the purple monkey avatar.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Nice beat man. Mix sounds alright too!

Thanks, brother. I mix in Studio One 4.6 (before this past week), and was mixing on Alesis M1 Mk2 Monitors. Rarely I would cross reference on headphones.
Now I'm mixing on Studio One 6 using VSX headphones.
Plugins are a bunch of things I've acquired over the years, stock stuff, PA mostly.

Yeah this beat of yours is really good, the arrangement and the changeup. Mix decent too. Drum pattern/bounce is nice. Tell me about your process on this one...
So on this one, I decided to be a cool cat and give stem separation a try. I was listening to music while working and came across this song:

and fucking loved it. so I chopped my fav sections that I could hear into a beat, separated the melodics from the vocals, and then rearranged while I was making a puzzle in the playlist, so it's a mix of looping + layering + stem separation. a couple small chops in there (the "yeahhh" to support the transients in some parts). Drums is a break I have plus my supporting hi hats, percussion, overheads, drum fills.

I wanted to apply a progress-like sound so I focused on building up when creating the song arrangement + drums, leading to the ending. The ending is the guitar solo chopped. One layer is the solo rebalanced to bring out the bass, another is the solo with a high pass extra wide w/ verb to give the ambience.

when mixing I routed the individual channels to groups, groups to bus's, bus to master, and same approach with the FX running to an FX bus.

members online