Few Thoughts on Making a Living as an engineer/producer

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
First of all, let me say I'm no expert and I'm far from rich or famous lol, but I had the opportunity to learn from a major entertainment lawyer in atlanta about how to make money as a producer/engineer(not relevant to the artists/vocalists/rappers etc, but still good to know). First thing he said was do not waste your time doing beats/mixing for people because they promised you "points" on the album. Just assume those points will NEVER come. Instead, charge an upfront fee every time, and if you DO work for free and or a discounted rate, make sure you are compensated with a percentage of the copyright/publishing. Most producers don't realize that even if you are fortunate enough to produce half of the songs on a gold album, and are to receive the common 3% figure on total album sales, without owning the atleast some of the publishing, you will make less than your average middle school teacher. 500,000 albums sold at 17.99 +/- may seem like it's netting you roughly 138,000 at 3% of the artists money(the majors don't pay you out of their pocket, they pay you out of the artists earnings, and unfortunately, the artist is payed last, save for the superstars). However, after all the bullshit that the labels take out(mid level sales, lower level sales, digital sales, reproduction costs, foreign sales, promotion, returned inventory, the list goes on) you would probably end up with about 28-30,000. That's if you have a lawyer representing you. Which means you can take another 15% off of that, and likewise if you have a separate manager. The key is to network and diversify on all types of projects and industries involving sound. Currently I'm working on a comedy album for a comedian in Atlanta, and making more money than I am recording rappers right now. Also doing the over dubbing for a movie filming summer of 2011. Not only do they pay me more than recording rappers/singers, the shit is WAY easier and far less time consuming. This may seem like somewhat of a rant, but i promise there is atleast one thing in here that could benefit most of you in some way or another. Keep an open mind for any opportunity that comes across, and do everything you can to CREATE those opportunities. Go to Movie Premiers, go to comedy clubs, go to concerts/shows and music conferences. Most importantly, be humble and willing to work and learn.

I

InterFlowMG

Nice. Very true what you said. For the comedian you have him come in and record his comedy? And then you just mix and edit it that a lil, master it and send it to him?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Back when I was seriously recording other cats, my main quote was..."Progress Energy (the light company here) doesn't give me power discounted or free, so I can't give discounted or free beats". My suggestion...make sure your client understands that he is gonna have to pay, it aint a game, it's business.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
What about those cats you run across and you want to invest time in?

Will they be investing money in you??

My fault. Can you afford to invest time (Which you CANT get back) and money (Which you DO have to make WITH your precious time), with slim to no chance to get it back unless its upfront?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Will they be investing money in you??

Thanks , reality check. lol

I dont even wanna go off in the open., , but your right.

However I do like to experiment on mixing with cats that sound good.
Hell if its from this site Ill work like hell on it!

The OP is a good post though.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
What about those cats you run across and you want to invest time in?

For those, I would say establish and maintain a good working relationship. I would definitely have an incentive package for those that I like but you got to remember...you liking his work doesn't and probably won't mean that if he gets signed, he's gonna bring you with him. His developement will be in other peoples hands from that point on. So still charge him no matter what!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Getting signed doesnt exist anymore. He's going to struggle with the music untill he's selling out venues. That could take 10-3 years. Can you afford to sink money in a "Business model" that depends on downloads and thousands of fickle fans amidst a music industry that changes weekly. Meanwhile you still have bills etc.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
"Signing" artist will exist as long as labels exist. Major, Independent, Vanity and Sublabels all sign artist. The requirement to sell out venues and so on is really only a setup for a 360 or a "multiple right" deal. Labels sign artist to these deals so they will have more rights and control of an artists tours, merchandise and endorsements by getting a percentage. In return, a label will usually give an artist a bigger advancement with the exception of Atlantic Records who have a set advancement fee. Atlantic’s deal offers a conventional cash advance to sign the artist, who would receive a royalty for sales after expenses are recouped. With the release of the artist’s first album, the label has an option to pay an additional $200,000 in exchange for 30 percent of the net income from all touring, merchandise, endorsements and fan-club fees. Atlantic would also have the right to approve the act’s tour schedule, and the salaries of certain tour and merchandise sales employees hired by the artist. But the label also offers the artist a 30 percent cut of the label’s album profits, if any, which represents an improvement from the typical industry royalty of 15 percent.

Back to the original point, getting paid for making beats is a must even at the novice level. The best thing that any producer can do is get paid for his production. It also creates a level of expectation for other producers. Cats will pay if they are serious about you, your work, and their career. Otherwise, don't stop working for them, raise your price. You gotta let them know that it costs more to play and bs around than it does to work!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
You can get a brand endorsement and get more bang for your buck. Get a manger to handle the behind the scenes and the labels are irrelevant. ALL they control and provide at this point is $$$s and theres WAY better places to get funding for your biz/venture/brand etc. Forget the term "Getting signed" exists.

Or, to clarify, Getting signed and Blowing up is dead. You can get signed, just dont expect that to save you, nor make you money. Theres PLENTY of major, "successful", (HipHop or Pop) artists that want to get independant But are locked in shit contracts. Its legal slavery

Agreed on your 2nd statement

members online