Interviews Interview With Company Flow's Mr. Len

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
mrlen1.gif

Who is DJ Mr. Len?

Formerly, he was one third of Hip-Hop group Company Flow (Mr. Len, El-P & Big Juss), who in their career dropped 2 albums. The first, "Funcrusher" (Rawkus Records 1997), which features Len as DJ and producer, is thought by many as a revolutionary album that truly defined underground Hip-Hop. The record was re-released with additional material in 1999, as "Funcrusher Plus", and recently in 2002. The second, an instrumental album named "Little Johnny From The Hospital" (Rawkus Records 1999), features the production skills of both Len and El-P.

When the group disbanded in 2001, Len found his way to Matador Records, where he dropped his debut solo album, "Pity The Fool". On "Pity The Fool", Len brought his crew/family with him - artists like Jean Grae, Mass Influence, Lord Sear & more. In 2003, Len is working together with Kimani, an emcee from the Hip-Hop group Masterminds, on a project named Roosevelt Franklin...

How did you get into DJ'ing and later producing? Did you know someone that showed you a few things? Or were you inspired by someone famous?

I got into DJ'ing from an old 8track tape my father made a couple of days before I was born. It was dedicated to me and I listened to it all the time. I found myself wanting to do what he did so I tried and tried. Then I turned 2 and realized that you need records to do it. Producing came about because of Anttrx and Enuff Styles. They were friends of mine and taught me how to use their samplers. I used to go over to whoever's house - El-P, Kaos, whoever and make beats until I got my own sampler.

Who are your musical influences, and do they affect the way you make music?

There are a lot and I draw different types of inspiration from them all.
  • Bob Marley: I try to make music with a purpose. Even his fun songs were thorough.
  • Isaac Hayes: It's got to be soulful. If the song is melancholy or upbeat it's got to have soul.
  • Jimi Hendrix: Make sure people will feel you through your music. Even if you're remaking a song, make sure there is no doubt in people's mind that it's you.
What kind of records do you look for when you go digging? Any favorites?

I mostly look for records with naked women on the cover. Even if there is nothing good on the record at least the cover is cool.

How did you go about getting a record deal with Rawkus Records? Did you forward any material to them? Did they approach you at a gig? Or did they happen to stumble over your self-released version of "Funcrusher"?

Rawkus came about because of the EP. I didn't deal with them too much because "OFFICIAL RECORDS" was a Bigg Juss, El-P thing. At that time in my career I was all about music. The label dealings frustrated me at the time.

What was it like seeing your album in a record store for the first time?

It's a great feeling and confusing at the same time. I felt authenticated in my craft. I wanted to tell everybody in the store it was my album but at the same time I wanted to be cool about it and see who would be interested in it. (thus the confusion)

Anyway, to move on to today, what's the Roosevelt Franklin album going to be like and what can people expect?

Expect to be entertained. We're not out to prove anything except that Hip-Hop can still be entertaining.

What is your opinion on Hip-Hop today? How's the undergound scene doing and what do you think of the commercial success Hip-Hop/Rap has had during the last years?

Hip-Hop is how it's always been. Some good some wack. We always knew Hip-Hop would be a mainstay in the American culture and it proved to be even bigger overseas. The underground is really WHATEVER to me. Seems like every kid with a Shure SM-58 raps now. The biggest thing missing right now is a dance. All music has a dance associated with it except Hip-Hop now. There was a time when there were more dances than you could keep up with. Now it's just a 2 step. The commercial success is even more WHATEVER. More power to the cats that just make good music.

Will you still be making beats when you are 40-50 years-old? Do you think that you will still be into the culture?

I'll always be involved in it somehow. It's really difficult to stop being into the culture you were born into. As far as me making beats when I'm 40-50.....yeah. You just won't hear them.

mrlen2.gif

What hardware and/or software do you use to produce? Which equipment do you prefer most?

MPC2000 and Digi001. Technic 1200's...ALWAYS

How many beats do you make in a week and what motivates you? Do you imagine a beat before creating it?

I usually dream up the beat the night before. I'm motivated by emotion and the artist I'm working with.

How do you start a song? Is it the melody first, or the drums...?

It all depends on the day.

Do you find that your skills as a DJ helps you as a producer?

Of course. The working knowledge of records and where breaks are and how to find them. Learning music and theory works to my advantage too. It all still has to make musical sense.

Any last advice you would like to give our members? Any good production tips or any other useful tips...?

Let's face it, nothing is "wack" anymore. The music you think is wack probably sells millions and the good stuff seems to go nowhere. My advice is be honest with yourself through your music. If you like it, someone else might too. If you know in our heart it's wack - DELETE!!!!!!!!!!

On behalf of IllMuzik.com and our members, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview and wish you prosperous record sales and lots of exotic women.

Thanks and be on the lookout for the Kice...Of Course record.

mrlen3.gif

Watch out for Roosevelt Franklin in the near future.

Also, be sure to check Len's site at dummysmacks.com, which features both audio and video material, as well as news and more information about Len and his projects.

Last edited:

members online