Interviews Interview With London Producer Jpeg

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Even though Jpeg's been a member here for a short while, he seems to be knowledgeable when it comes to producing. After chilling with him online for a bit, I can honestly say that he's NOT a pedophile and he seems to have his head on straight with an actual school degree. LOL. Keep reading.

Finally!

Sup.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I'm from London, England, been making beats around 2 years, and writing rhymes since '95, but the beat making kinda took ova the rhyming. Been into Hip-Hop heavy since '92, so I suppose I'm 10 years deep.

What made you decide to make beats?

Erm. I have no more relevant info for that question.

LOL, cool.

Haha.

Well then, what kind of beats do you produce?

In the past, my beats have been described as jazzy, but I've moved away from that I hope. I don't wanna be the guy who just samples jazz 'cause it's been done to death.

So I guess you listen to lots of jazz?

Not that much, all the jazz I got is for sample purposes only, but I like what I have which is not much. I'd describe my music as thoughtful, dark, but somehow bright at the same time.

Do you mainly sample? Or do you have some synths?

I'm purely on samples, but I'm investigating synths right now. But so far I'm not too convinced of how they will work in the context of the type of Hip-Hop I wanna make.

So you have a DJ setup? Or just 1 turntable?

I have no DJ setup whatsoever. I do plan on buying a cheap turntable soon.

Synths are cool, do you have any influences that are based mainly on synths?

The only artists in Hip-Hop that use synths in a way that I like is DJ Spinna and Jay Dee, plus Madlib on his YNQ album.

Yeah, all of them are tight. So describe your current production setup.

Basic. Hella simple which is how I like it. I have a sampling drum machine, and my computer to record and sequence. I play a CD on my computer, then sample it into the drum machine, freak the sample, add drums and done.

Which drum machine is it?

It's the SP-505.

Oh cool.

It's quite a new unit. Before that I had a Zoom SampleTrack.

What about your computer, what kind of software are you using?

Cool Edit Pro. It's the most functional and easy to use.

You do everything with cool edit?

Yup.

Nice.

No other software needed.

So have you worked with local rappers?

Yup. I'm affiliated with some really good emcee's in NW London. They friends of mine, we hang out and make music. They got a group called Kardinal Sin.

So you're all a crew?

Yup. The crew is tentatively titled GC crew, GC standing for Geneva Convention.

Have you guys released any recordings?

Not me. But this other producer I'm down with who is also crew, is about to work with a rapper called Revel. This kid Revel did a track with J-Zone. Kardinal Sin ain't got nothing out that I know about, but their back catalogue is extensive, and I keep telling them to put shit out.

What's it like working with local artists and having them spit over one of your tracks?

It's cool 'cause we are all on the same wavelength and have similar tastes in music.

Who are some of your musical influences?

Okay, mainly '92 to '94 Hip-Hop. But right now, Hieroglyphics, Madlib and his crew, Godfather Don, MF Doom. Basically underground bay area, Living Legends, Mhz crew.

Do you have any production tips you'd like to share?

Yeah dig hard, the better sample source material u have, the easier it is to make dope beats. Simple.

Very true. Any last words?

Not really, thanks for the interview time.

No problem.

Last edited:

members online

No members online now.