Reviews SmooVth - Checkmate

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
smoovth_cover.jpg

SmooVth, one half of Hempstead, NY duo "Tha Connection" has recently released his first solo album. The LP's entitled "Checkmate" and is released on indie label Domination Records. Tha Connection has put out a number of acclaimed projects and are known for their uncompromising soulful yet hardcore sound. The production on "Checkmate" is handed primarily by frequent collaborators including: DJ Kryptonite, 12bits, Drums and... yours truly.

1. The Record (Intro) (Produced By: KG Boom) - (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Short song with a nice jazzy piano beat and a few verses from SmooVth.

2. Swallow feat. Hus KingPin (of Tha Connection) (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

First track with the other half of tha Connection. DJ Krypto flips a dope vocal sample while the two emcees complain about shallow females.

3. Telegram (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

Another dope vocal sample with some nice strings. The telegram metaphor is really about the process of writing rhymes.

4. Never Had Enough (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

Nice beat with a mysterious vibe. SmooVth talks about his humble upbringing.

5. Skillz (Produced By: Mac) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

One of my favorite tracks on the album. Over a dope energetic, heavily chopped-up beat, the emcee brags about his mic skills. Classic braggadocio track.

6. Backwards (Produced By: DJ Excellence) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

This one is produced by yours truly. It's hard to be completely unbiased when judging your own work, I still feel comfortable saying this ranks amongst my best productions. The beat was constructed around a soulful chopped-up vocal sample and crispy drums. SmooVth warns us about the immoral sides of modern society.

7. Rap Shit (Produced By: Tape Roc) - (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Nice melodic piano beat here. Hus (who is uncredited) and SmooVth lament about the current state of Hip Hop.

8. A Little Peace (Produced By: Euphony) - (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Another track about the emcee's childhood. Again nice melodic beat.

9. Old Soul Record (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite)- (5 out of 5 Classic)

Perhaps the strongest effort on the LP, Kryptonite made a true headnoder, with an awesome collage of horns, vocals, strings and other segments, while SmooVth talks about his passion for old records.

10. Be Loved (Hands Down!) (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

Change of vibe for a menacing braggadocio track. Krypto comes up with another dope beat.

11. Essence (Produced By: Pawel G) - (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Nice beat with pulsating drums. Nice commentaries from the emcee about his willingness to perfect his skills.

12. When I Leave (Produced By: 12Bit) - (4 out of 5 Good)

Solid guitar driven beat but there's maybe too much going on. The subject matter is the Ex to the Next as the late Gangstarr emcee used to say.

13. Is Or U Isn't (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

This track's about the emcee's young child and the responsibilities that comes with fatherhood.

14. Wednesday (Produced By: Drums) - (4 out of 5 Good)

Probably the most commercial track on the album. The beat is supplied by Swedish producer Drums who utilized an intriguing analog synth. Smoovth speaks about the monotony of life. All in all it's a nice track that just doesn't fit that well with the project as a whole.

15. Talk To Me (Produced By: Mac) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

SmooVth talks to Hip Hop like it was a person. A nice dedication to the culture. Awesome melodic instrumental courtesy of Mac.

16. Boom! (Produced By: INS P) - (5 out of 5 Classic)

A dark track about fake emcees. The beat's reminiscent of Mobb Deep's earlier work. Classic.

17. Sentido (Produced By: AGQ) - (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

Sentido is an examination of the emcee's multicultural background and a critique of today's society. Nice laid-back, abstract beat featuring some dope electric instruments.

18. Come Get Me (Remix) (Produced By: DJ Kryptonite) - (4 out of 5 Good)

A braggadocio track with a laid-back feel. Probably the weakest Krypto beat on the LP, it's still nice tho. Nice guitar sample.

Conclusion:

The emcee and his team made a classic LP, it's well crafted and the subject matter is varied. SmooVth spits effortlessly and always with confidence. Another contributor who shined is DJ Kryptonite who cooked up 7 awesome beats. The overall vibe of the album is both authentic and contemporary at the same time. Highly recommended.

You can buy and preview the LP on UGHH, Amazon and iTunes:
For more info, please check:
Score: 5 / 5

members online