Reviews Stresswon - Mic Wars

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
micwars_cover.jpg

Finally! IllMuzik.com has the honor to review Stresswon's latest album, who is the community's most prolific emcee. For those who don't know, Stresswon is from New Jersey but currently lives in Pennsylvania; he's known for his uncompromising style and golden age influence. He's been very active as a solo artist, releasing his debut album "Immaculate Deception" in 2006 with production from various IllMuzik members. He's also part of Order 66 and Raw Nature, two up and coming groups with ties to NJ.

1. Mic Wars - produced by Stresswon - (5 out of 5)

Rhyming over a dark soulful beat, Stresswon's threatening all emcees that wanna test him. Sounds very convincing to me!

2. This Is The Way - produced by Nomics - (5 out of 5)

Stress continues to threaten the competition over a dope beat by Nomics from the Illfellaz. The drums are punchy, and the string sample is just superb. Great work.

3. Hip Hop - produced by Shortfuze - (3 out of 5)

Stresswon elaborates on his love for Hip Hop culture. While I'm feeling the lyrics, the beat is kinda average, a bit too contemporary to mesh with Stresswon's style.

4. Deadly On The Rhymes - produced by DJ Excellence - (5 out of 5)

The name of the track is only half the truth. This track is just deadly. Definitly one of the stronger tracks for this album DJ Excellence and Stresswon make a deadly combination.

5. What I Am - produced by DJ 2good - (4 out of 5)

Beatwise, this is a nice remake of Brand Nubian's "Slow Down". Subject-wise, Stress tells us a bit more about his life.

6. What Do I Do - produced by Stresswon - (4 out of 5)

Stress describes his difficult childhood, growing up without his father. The beat is very emotional, sampling nice vocal and piano samples.

7. Deep In The Trenches - produced by DJ Excellence - (5 out of 5)

A smooth track that really shows how the heart of Hip Hop can be deep within us. The song itself embeds all the fundamentals of a great track. Props to both.

8. That's Hip Hop - produced by Mister Fade - (4.5 out of 5)

Another ode to Hip Hop culture. The dark beat provided by Mister Fade is simple but effective. DJ 2Good provides very nice cuts.

9. Do What I Do - produced by Slick Vick - (3.5 out of 5)

Stress talks about the responsibilities of being a grown man and the consequences of not meeting those. The beat features a few old skool synth sounds and raw drums, all in all not great not bad.

10. Ain't Sayin Nuttin - produced by Stresswon - (4 out 5)

Probably the rawest track on the album. Stress attacks wack emcees over powerful drums.

11. Best Friend - produced by Stresswon - (4.5 out of 5)

Stress talks about how he fell in love with Hip Hop music and its current state. He cleverly uses friendship as a metaphor. The beat features a superb vocal sample and guitars.

Once again, Stresswon comes up with a very solid effort. A highly recommended album.

For more info: http://www.stress1live.com

Score: 4.5 / 5