Interviews Studio Talk: 8 Questions for Dub1Beatz

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
dub1beatz.jpg

Winner of the most recent Beat This! Competition, Dub1Beatz claimed his second win with a flip of a Bobby Womack song. Hailing from Los Angeles, he’s been putting in a lot of work in the studio trying to take his beats to the next level. It’s time for some studio talk.

Name: I’ve gone by different names in the past: TW1, Tdub1, or tdub. Now it’s just Dub_1 (I guess I’ve matured, LOL).
Location: Currently residing in the beautiful (filthy) city of Los Angeles. I grew up listening to a lot of good music here – underground, mainstream, past present and up and coming, and it’s influenced me throughout my childhood and adult life.

1. What is your studio setup like?

I use an Oxygen 8 controller with a Focusrite interface. The DAWs that I use are Adobe Audition and Recycle for editing, BitWig studio and a set of Sony MD7506 studio headphones. Occasionally I’ll use live instruments like drums and percussion along with that is a lot of clutter, burger receipts, but the work gets finished LOL.

2. What is the one software or hardware that you can’t live without?

I don’t think I can live without Recycle as it kinda made sampling a lot easier for me.

3. What is a typical day for you?

Usually I’ll wake up super early in the morning and I just have an urge to work on a track whether it’s something new or unfinished and I’ll usually work on that until around 12 noon. Have breakfast or lunch, come back, either finish up what I started or start on something new or totally different, and continue on through the day. Now that I think about it, it’s kinda like work but not? LOL.

4. What is the best advice that you’ve ever received?

To always keep learning because I was told the most successful people are the ones who never stop learning.

5. Do you have any tips for other producers?

You’re only as good as the knowledge you obtain. Study everything – anyway you can from front to back or back to front. Immerse yourself because when you acquire the knowledge of how everything works then you can figure out ways to make it work for you. As far as tips go, don’t use a lot of compression and use QUALITY SOUNDS (unless you’re into that sort of thing then to each their own).

6. How long does it take to make a full beat?

Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and maybe even longer if I feel like I want to call in the ‘Dub orchestra”. LOL j/k.

7. Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

No studio tricks in particular but I would say it’s best to work in a quiet, relaxed environment sometimes. It gives you time to focus on what you’re doing and make sure it gets done the way YOU want (unless you’re mastering), as opposed to a noisy studio full of heads.

8. What’s in your near future?

All I see in my near future is getting BETTER and progressing with time and with quality content for those listening. You’ll hear a lot more from me in the months to come. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to future opportunities.

More Information

To find out more about Dub1Beatz, visit:

Last edited:

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
Right on! I love how you said NO compression. Compression in hip hop is evil. Congrats Dub 1

Dub1Beatz

skibobbidah bebop!!
Battle Points: 92
@Greg..I was Experimenting with alot of other DAWS...REASON..REAPER...FL STUDIO...still learning a few things here and there so its a process lol

@Beauiful noise.. Thanks!

members online