upgradin the set up

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo... got a lil bit of money to upgrade my set up for the future, probably in march...

as of now i'm lookin at a new imac(2.4 ghz, core 2 duo, 2 gigs of ram) for 1100(or should i just spend 1400 for the 2.66?)

euphonix- mc mix(mc control is nice, but for trackin my beats i'd rather have 8 faders then 4)

apogee duet(dont need too many ins and outs, not gonna waste the money on a rosetta for no reason) 500

komplete 5(for the production) 670

and event projects ps 8- 300(250 for the pair, used from my boy)

and auralex package(thru hookup at company) 96 12x12 2 inch diffusers, and 16 corner bass traps for 350...(two of the same package).

already got macbook with pro tools 8, reason 4.0, mbox 2, mbox 1, blue bluebird mic, asr-x sampler/drum machine, 88 key keyboard controller(weighted, ivory keys, old digi piano i had, and m audio mr5 monitors

what u think? will be for commercial and personal use... mainly as a home project studio for the artists i work closely with, being that i'm lazy and hate goin somewhere else... while at sametime, not gonna be rentin time to any old
"entrepreneur" off of bouldercrest either... thats done at private locations where my personal shit ain't at use, haha.

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as of now i'm lookin at a new imac(2.4 ghz, core 2 duo, 2 gigs of ram) for 1100(or should i just spend 1400 for the 2.66?)

You'd prob be better getting the 2.4 and spending the extra cash on getting another couple of gigs of ram - prob see more of a performance boost out of that.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
Okay, on the real, this is my 10 cents on this thread:

Unless you're working on a computer that is more than 5 years old with less than 1 gig of ram, DO NOT BUY A NEW COMPUTER. IMO, a computer is nearly the least important part of a setup-upgrade (unless you have tonnes of cash or, again, an exceptionally shitty computer).

If you are going to get the new mac, stick with the 2.4 (.22ghz jump is not going to affect performance enough to justify the extra money), and I would recommend against upgrading your RAM... 2gb is more than enough unless you're running a ridiculous amount of tasks/programs at once. In my experience it's mostly your processor which actually affects the performance of your DAW/whatever as opposed to the RAM (and a dual core mac should do what you want...)

Furthermore, there is a significant performance drop-off after the first 2 gigs of ram in ANY computer system (I've seen dozens of professionally conducted computer benchmarks that support this- trust me). If anything I would just buy the core system and see how it works for YOU. If you feel that significant improvements need to be made, make them afterwards! there's no need to spend extra money on stuff you "think" you'll need.

As for the other stuff you mentioned in the thread, I don't know dick about any of that although I would like to add that you are one lucky bastard to be lookin at getting all that auralex at "hook-up" prices.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll enjoy your new gear!

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Really just depends on your sessions tho. If your sessions are typically FX heavy with a span of anywhere from 25-50 tracks then you really will benefit from additional RAM.

Ive worked on 512mb to QuadCores and theres a significant difference.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
Really just depends on your sessions tho. If your sessions are typically FX heavy with a span of anywhere from 25-50 tracks then you really will benefit from additional RAM.

Ive worked on 512mb to QuadCores and theres a significant difference.
yeah but ram and processing speed are two totally different things which affect performance differently. I'm 90% sure that FX and synthesis are mainly dependant on CPU speed/capability (which, I think, is why so many free VSTs & VSTi's are described as being "light on your processor").

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I understand their two totally different things man. I was basing what I said soley on personal experience with different machines that shared similar CPU specs but largely different RAM specs.

Its obviously still important to up your processing speed if applicable as well, but even when i used to build PCs back in the day RAM was the first thing I upgraded in my box after I had it for a while and it made a significant difference just with FX processing in my sessions and this was with one of the first P4 chips that wasnt hyperthreaded.

Im just saying what worked for me mang!

members online