Reviews Vegas & Kil - The Grey Area

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
cover.jpg

Brooklyn emcee Vegas joins forces with Philly-bred producer Kil for a collaborative album entitled 'The Grey Area'. Last year the soul music-influenced beatsmith found success producing "Rude Bastards" for M.O.P, since then he's been in great demand. Kil met Vegas at Morgan State University where they were hosting a Hip Hop show.

1. Introverse (3.5 out of 5 Fair)

Following a short audio clip, Vegas explains the Grey area concept "a little bit of underground, a little bit of commercial" in a monotone voice that reminds me of Guru of Gangstarr. The beat features a nice acoustic bass-line and muddy chromatic instruments.

2. Here & Now (5 out of 5 Classic)

Vegas provides a brief summary of his life over a smooth vocal sample-driven beat. Dope track.

3. WMBFF 101 (N/A)

This is a short sinister instrumental interlude.

4. By Any Means (4 out of 5 Good)

A solid horn-driven track which becomes a bit monotonous after a while. Vegas talks about his dreams of becoming a successful artist and everything that comes with it.

5. WMBFF 102(N/A)

Another short soulful interlude.

6. Human (I'm only) (3 out 5 Fair)

Again, nice horn sample; however the dirty south drums are atrocious. Vegas speaks about the bad sides of human nature. Could have been better.

7.Make it Last ft Woodz & Oshion (4.5 out of 5 Very good)

Kil uses a dope sped up vocal sample here. Vegas and friends spit about dough and women. Woodz provides a solid contribution.

8. WMBFF 103 (N/A)

Another dope instrumental.

9. Walk the Block (4 out of 5 Good)

This is Kil's attempt at making a gutter track. Quite solid but the drums could have been thicker.

10. Don't Let Me Down (4 out of 5 Good)

Dope string sample here, (but unfortunately thin drums). This one's about family drama and Vegas' father specifically.

11. WMBFF 104 (N/A)

Interlude no 4.

12. 4BK 4EVA (4.5 out of 5 Very Good)

This is an ode to Brooklyn. Awesome horn-driven beat.

13. WMBFF 105 (N/A)

Interlude no 5.

14. Waiting On U (3.5 out of 5 Fair)

Vegas speaks about the ladies (and his significant other?). Decent bass-driven beat which is a tad too monotone.

15. Legacy's Hustle (3.5 out of 5 Fair)

Another bass-driven beat, and same monotone vibe. Vegas speaks about his upbringing.

16. WMBFF Finale (N/A)

Final interlude.

17. Finale (5 out of 5 Classic)

The album finishes on a strong note with an awesome braggadocio track. Probably the strongest effort on the album with "Here & Now". Superb sample featuring strings and guitars.

All in all, this is a solid effort from the duo. They delivered a cohesive ensemble, showcasing great chemistry. I recommend the LP to anyone that's into the more melodic side of golden age Hip Hop (Pete Rock & CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, etc...)

You can download the album for free at: http://vegasworldinc.bandcamp.com/album/the-grey-area

Don't forget to check out:
Score: 4 / 5

members online