“Make it Through The Night” Somewhere in Dreamland

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Great blend of vinyl/acoustic drums and synths!

The way you chopped and filtered the vocal through the verse is incredibly creative...and wildly effective. It's adding ear candy, rhythm and harmonic value to the beat.

Did you tune the siren/swell sound? Because it fits perfectly. There's not a lot of elements in this track, but every piece is deliberate, and meticulously placed to create a very unique and poignant beat.

I also really like the sound of that kick. You can hear the air in the room moving around it every time it hits.

Super dope joint!

Hey many thanks @BiggChev! I've recently been producing with the 'less is more' mindset. That song was one that brings back childhood memories but I chopped it into my own and the same with the cartoon to fit with the story.

Yeah I initially had the vocal chops but they were too distracting and upfront so filtered them but still wanted the ear to catch the distant vocal throughout.

I chopped the vocal many ways before I settled. So many options and patterns with how I wanted the vocals to play out. Best part for me is chopping samples live on the pads, it's a great feeling rearranging chopped music into a new piece.

The kick I layered but had it subtly and slightly offset.

Thanks for listening in and giving great feedback, really appreciated BiggChev!

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Hey many thanks @BiggChev! I've recently been producing with the 'less is more' mindset. That song was one that brings back childhood memories but I chopped it into my own and the same with the cartoon to fit with the story.

Yeah I initially had the vocal chops but they were too distracting and upfront so filtered them but still wanted the ear to catch the distant vocal throughout.

I chopped the vocal many ways before I settled. So many options and patterns with how I wanted the vocals to play out. Best part for me is chopping samples live on the pads, it's a great feeling rearranging chopped music into a new piece.

The kick I layered but had it subtly and slightly offset.

Thanks for listening in and giving great feedback, really appreciated BiggChev!
Very dope process man. And I definitely agree with you with respect to chopping live.

One of my favourite things to do is record long guitar jams over my beats, then completely mangle them by chopping. Like you said, I'll end up with a ton of different variations and patterns. Sometimes I'll just mash two different patterns together to get something entirely new and unique that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to play.

My workflow with the MPC 1000 is similar too. I'll write out short arrangements in no particular genre inside Logic. Bounce all the stems over to the MPC and chop away.

Looking forward hearing more stuff from you.

I like that with the long guitar jams then chopping up into multiple possibilities, dope!
Realised I didn't fully answer you, the siren I had ready but after playing around, put the vocals up 2 semitones to E minor and brought the siren down to match that.

I see your method from Logic to Mpc for the chops!
I only role in standalone as that's my thing, me and my 'musical box'.
You saying the Mpc 1000, I began with the Mpc 500 but god damn as portable as it was it was a nightmare compared to my Mpc Live.
I was looking at the time to step up to a 1000 or 2500 if possible but then the Live came out and I was sold even though I didn't have the money at the time I made it happen and been clock watching at work ever since, waiting to get home and fire it up whilst constantly learning and listening to others advice and feedback on here, my Kids and Mpc, thats me. :ROFLMAO: