10 Things No One Tells You About Music Production - Warren Huart: Produce Like A Pro

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
This guy watched too much tutorials on 'how not to lose viewers using hand gestures'...

However, he has a point. Practice makes perfect. My first beats sounded terrible and still I sometimes have to abort a session because the outcome sounds like somebody's scratching a chalkboard. I also watch tutorials on specific topics when I feel like I don't make progression. (A lot of them are garbage, but sometimes there's something/trick I didn't knew and might be the missing link i'm looking for.) My advice for beginners would be to break down your favorite music and recreate the drum pattern or melody. Just to understand the basics of the music you want to produce.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
martial arts capcom GIF

gotta be this dude to sit there and operate them knobs

each one of those faders on a physical mixing desk is attached to an eq, compression, panning, gain staging, mute button, solo button, sends, bus output, all these things need pots and buttons. They soon add up. In the digital world you have channel strip plugins and various other mixing plugins to do the same job.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
each one of those faders on a physical mixing desk is attached to an eq, compression, panning, gain staging, mute button, solo button, sends, bus output, all these things need pots and buttons. They soon add up. In the digital world you have channel strip plugins and various other mixing plugins to do the same job.
I got that, all i wanted to know was, if a producer has to manually operate them, like with his hands and if so how the fk they reach every knob and slider.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
It looks bigger than it actually is, because of all the tiny switches and the angle the video's shot at.

This one on the video looks like an SSL 4056, which is about 120 cm deep and 3.5m wide. (I looked it up). So yes, the very top stuff (which are usually input trims and then EQ) are hard to reach (but you shouldn't have to return so many times once it's set). And if you run this kind of analogue setup, you can do these moves on your outboard preamps and EQs.

Regarding the volume faders, some are motorized on newer digital consoles and some very top-end analogues but I don't know about this one for sure. I would bet it's not. Motorized faders allow for volume automations on these consoles. If the console does not have these motorized faders, the engineer would have to operate manually and print the changes into the recording for an instrument, and then make another pass for the next ... and so on.

It's so comfortable and efficient to work "in the box" nowadays. I wouldn't use this console even if it was given to me, no matter how good it sounds.
I consider them a thing of the past that major studio brag about in order to attract customers and charge ridiculous amount of money for something that could be done faster for a fraction of the money.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm @YannFer happy that "producing" is now no longer synonymous w/sitting at a desk that looks like a Star Trek prop. I never want(ed) to feel like I needed to buy a ton of unnecessary shit to "make music."

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
It looks bigger than it actually is, because of all the tiny switches and the angle the video's shot at.

This one on the video looks like an SSL 4056, which is about 120 cm deep and 3.5m wide. (I looked it up). So yes, the very top stuff (which are usually input trims and then EQ) are hard to reach (but you shouldn't have to return so many times once it's set). And if you run this kind of analogue setup, you can do these moves on your outboard preamps and EQs.

Regarding the volume faders, some are motorized on newer digital consoles and some very top-end analogues but I don't know about this one for sure. I would bet it's not. Motorized faders allow for volume automations on these consoles. If the console does not have these motorized faders, the engineer would have to operate manually and print the changes into the recording for an instrument, and then make another pass for the next ... and so on.

It's so comfortable and efficient to work "in the box" nowadays. I wouldn't use this console even if it was given to me, no matter how good it sounds.
I consider them a thing of the past that major studio brag about in order to attract customers and charge ridiculous amount of money for something that could be done faster for a fraction of the money.

THANK YOU! for real.

members online