2 questions

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
question 1:
im thinking of getting turntables from my friend and they are Gemini PT1000 for $200 for 2 of them. are they good? and what can i do with turntables? and if i only get 1 turntable, do i need a mixer?

question 2:
i got a condenser mic from sam ash and when i plugged it in to my computer with the wires and shit it doesnt record...do i need a different type of wire for a condenser mic? this is the mic i bought: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=nonetodaythanks

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

1. Don't know. Make sure they are direct drive, you'll thank me later.

2. You need to get a pre-amp with phantom power.

Explanation: microphones need something to boost the signal before it gets sent into the soundcard, a pre-amp will do this.

Condencer mics also need some electricity to make all the gadgetry inside function, this is done with phantom power. Phantom power is electricity sent from the pre-amp into the microphone...once the mic gets some juice, it will convert whatever it records into a signal and send it back into the pre-amp. The pre-amp boosts the signal and it can be sent to the soundcard.

Take care,

Nick

C

Copenhagen

The Gemini PT1000 is direct driven as far as I can see from do a search on the internet so they should be okay.

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
i also got an offer from my friend for a gemini 100xl for 2 of them for $50. is this good or crappy? thanks for the answer about the microphone, can i buy the phantom power at like radio shack or do i gotta go all the way to sam ash...

edit -
how much do decent scratching needles cost (i dont have a job)?
how much does a decent mixer cost?
what would i get from buying turntables

sorry for all the questions but plz answer them ;)

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
what would you get from buying turntables- I think that depends on what you are trying to do. if your tryng to D.j. or make mix cd's then you got a start on some equipment. beat makin wise if you want to sample things, or put alot of scratches in your music then turntables will come in handy, if your more of an original composition beat makin type person then turntable probably shouldnt be the first thing on your list to get....It all depends on what you are trying to do. make that clearer and maybe we can help you out a little more.

C

Copenhagen

I can't seem to find any specifications for Gemini 100XL but along as they are direct driven they can't be all that bad.

Scratch needles are somewhere between $40-150...depending on quality and brand (US price might be cheaper)
A simple scratch mixer will cost probably you around $150 (once again, US price might be cheaper).

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

There are several places where you can find a pre-amp with phantom power...

1. A decent mixer. I use a Mackie 1402.

2. A dedicated mic pre-amp. There are lots of different ones out there, ranging from about $60 to a few thousand.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=nonetodaythanks

http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/mobilepre.php

http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/audibudy.php

http://www.samash.com/catalog/searc...d1=&departmentkeeper=6&SortMethod=6&pagesize=

I don't know if you can find things like this at Radio Shack, you'll have to ask.

Take care,

Nick

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Look man get with the times.....I mean you don't really need expensive tables or a mixer.....get a cheap table and mixer/amp.....then look get you a piece of software like traktor DJ you can do way more with the software than trying to be an at home DJ just making samples......

C

Cosmonaut

1. The gemini table isn't bad it's direct drive so you will be set. Don't plan on doing any serious scratching on those things unless you have a super light touch though I had one in the old days. Very hard to keep them from skipping with out turning the antiskate ridiculously high and slapping a penny on the cartridge.

2. They already answered your question on this one I just thought I would add that there are some soundcards that offer phantom power. but, probally your best bet is to get a mixer like a mackie the preamps in them sound nice.

C

Copenhagen

Not knowing what the mixer is I guess that's an ok price but, of course, if you can bargain even lower then do that.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
yes thats a good price IF they are in good condition. If you're still wondering about decent needles at a good price, STANTON PRO DJ's are great for scratching.

--dacal

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
***THIS IS INFO FROM A REAL DJ**
A good mixer will cost about $70-$120 with out tax
Good mixers are Stanton,Behinger & Vestax 4 that price
Cus they have Gain's,EQ's,Quality faders that dont crakle, and Pro audio inputs & outs.

A good Turntable will be about $100-$160
Good turns are Staton,Numark in some Gemini's 4 that price
Cus they have smooth pitch control,good anti-skip,stablity and
a needle included.

Dont buy cheap tables or mixers. They usual break easy,dont last,poor quality, and are all plastic. Been Djing 4 7 years and still do.
<<<GO PRO NOT CHEAP>>>

C

Copenhagen

LOL, will the real DJ please stand up. I only think Changalang needs info on the turntables in question...