2 questions

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
I've been hearing some buzzing coming out of one of my monitors recently. its not the connections because i tried to switch it up to a new one and that didnt help. the other monitor is quiet as hell. i dont know whats wrong with this one. any ideas?

my second question is how you guys manage all the spaghetti wiring from your gear? my shit looks like a maze. any suggestions (and pictures) are appreciated.

thanks fam

T

The Arkitekt

Yea velcro works wonders. They sell these velcro loop things specificly for wire management. If you cant get those than use tie wraps or sleeves but with tie wraps and sleeves you gotta cut them open if you want to re arrange those wires or something.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
The buzzing and your italian dish are prolly related, most likely you have something ungrounded or someshit somewhere that is touching the speaker cords.
IF you go back and undo everything and organize it THEN you may cut that buzzing out.
Other common problems in this area are picking up radio and tv audio.
The only other thing I can think of on the buzz is that one of your wires, or ,even more likely, a input or output thingy. Like where a cord plugs into.
Try picking up and dropping wires around their connections and see if the buzzing/sound gets worse cuts out entirely or gets better.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
i switched my monitors plug to a different outlet and that did the trick. do you think that adding a power conditioner will help?

those velcro straps seem like a good idea. i will post a picture of my setup soon.

thanks for the info people

T

The Arkitekt

i switched my monitors plug to a different outlet and that did the trick. do you think that adding a power conditioner will help?

Yea most likely, sounds like you got dirty power. its funny though because houses/apts are on parallel circuits and rooms usually have all their wires on the same breaker and you switched the outlet in the same room (im guessing its the same room) and it works. I guess that line is on a different circuit

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
i tend to tie most cables around my apartment with those little green twist-tie things... no need really to reinvent tha wheel and buy velcro..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
U gotta be careful of what wires you velcro, twisty or anything of that nature together. Cords that carry a load of any kind need to be apart from the others or you'll introduce noise and possibly much worse into the equation!!! The shield of your cables plays a part. Grouping some power heavy cables with some thinly shielded joints = PROBLEM! i.e cords coming from you amp, speaker cables, cables connected to your mixer etc. midi and usb cables can safely be grouped but know what runs thru all the others.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
get a ground on ya computer or a ground on the power stip going into the wall!!
had the same problem a while back
went to the hardware store got me a plug with a wire on it and grounded it to my template on the wall sockett!!
other than that it could be just a wire causing all the problems!!! goodluck!

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
U gotta be careful of what wires you velcro, twisty or anything of that nature together. Cords that carry a load of any kind need to be apart from the others or you'll introduce noise and possibly much worse into the equation!!! The shield of your cables plays a part. Grouping some power heavy cables with some thinly shielded joints = PROBLEM! i.e cords coming from you amp, speaker cables, cables connected to your mixer etc. midi and usb cables can safely be grouped but know what runs thru all the others.

Good call LDB. i do remember doing this awhile back and getting alot of distorted feedback from my speakers and other equipment. I was wondering if there were any other ways besides bundling them up together but im thinking there might not be too much else to do.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Yea man... Power wires should never be parallel with audio wires, etc. If they need to cross, make them perpendicular to each other.

Also, someone brought up the circuit. Having a dedicated circuit for your stuff is helpful. If not, watch out mostly for lights. Any lighting that's on the same circuit can interfere with your ground. Fluorescent lighting especially. That 60 Hz always tries to find a way of getting into your signal.

members online