22 years of ILL

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'll probably post something like this each year from now on lol.

Happy ILL Day!

I don't want to get all sentimental but when the server went down for a bit today, it just hit me that yeah - it's been 22 years of IllMuzik! October of 2000 is when it all started and we're still here.

I never imagined this is how it would turn out because originally I just wanted to create a forum for JUST beat makers. At the time there were Hip Hop forums that maybe had a beat maker section, and none of them were moderated much. I was just a couple of years into making websites so I thought, why not?

At first I couldn't come up with a name so I was just throwing them out there like "becreative" or "beatmusic", etc. Around that time I had recently scratched LL Cool J's vocals in one of his songs where he says "ILL". Then I just brainstormed and eventually landed on "ILL MUSIC" but "music" seemed bland so I put the z and the k. Plus saying it as one word just rolls off the tongue easily.

I've had a lot of ups and downs (mainly downs) over the years in my personal life so that's one of the reasons why I've always held on to ILL. It's my life's work. This is why I take a lot of pride in all the work I do on here plus I appreciate all of you that visit here regularly and compete in the battles. It's also why I don't take kindly to people that want to disrupt this amazing thing we have going on here. I don't take banning lightly, so if someone gets banned it's for a very good reason. All I've ever asked for is respect. In return I'll respect you back.

As far as the battles, we have the longest-running online (offline too I think!) beat battles of all time. Beat This! in 2003 then followed by Battle That! It's crazy to think about it. I've seen countless real world, in person beat battles come and go. I've also seen a lot of beat making websites come and go. Social media really kicked a lot of forums in the balls back around 2009 and many didn't recover and closed up shop.

But IllMuzik is still here. :clown:

(real life IllMuzik meetup):

gay men GIF

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I think I see @Armani in that meetup pic (Lol) In all seriousness, it is a huge feat to be dedicated to a project for so long. Kudos and congrats and long live Illmuzik!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I think I was leaning more towards "becreative.com", like to motivate people to get better with their beats. It sounds hella lame though.
sounds more suited to like some kind of online portfolio or creative opportunities type site. Cool name.

'muzik' should be corny. But for whatever reason, it just isn't. ILLMUZIK.

I remember when Pappas wrote 'illmusic' once and I almost threw up :sick::LOL:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
sounds more suited to like some kind of online portfolio or creative opportunities type site. Cool name.

'muzik' should be corny. But for whatever reason, it just isn't. ILLMUZIK.

I remember when Pappas wrote 'illmusic' once and I almost threw up :sick::LOL:
There was a illbeats or something like that once. Even that doesn't have the same effect.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I think I was leaning more towards "becreative.com", like to motivate people to get better with their beats. It sounds hella lame though.
I thought the actual name was a spin on Beastie Boys license to ill album name (same era though).

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I thought the actual name was a spin on Beastie Boys license to ill album name (same era though).
Good guess but yeah it had nothing to do with that lol.

i think it has a nice ring with like
illmuzik
illmatic
I think people probably thought it was because of Illmatic but nah. I suppose illmatic.com would have worked really well!

dj2good, but gave up the djing so thought it pointless calling myself a dj
DJing has changed so much since the 90s. I used to follow the battles religiously but now it's all beeps and boops with hypersonic sets. It's a shame because watching a DJ battle live in person is an awesome experience. Just seeing the turntables on the stage before the show started was amazing.

I'll probably post something like this each year from now on lol.

Happy ILL Day!

I don't want to get all sentimental but when the server went down for a bit today, it just hit me that yeah - it's been 22 years of IllMuzik! October of 2000 is when it all started and we're still here.

I never imagined this is how it would turn out because originally I just wanted to create a forum for JUST beat makers. At the time there were Hip Hop forums that maybe had a beat maker section, and none of them were moderated much. I was just a couple of years into making websites so I thought, why not?

At first I couldn't come up with a name so I was just throwing them out there like "becreative" or "beatmusic", etc. Around that time I had recently scratched LL Cool J's vocals in one of his songs where he says "ILL". Then I just brainstormed and eventually landed on "ILL MUSIC" but "music" seemed bland so I put the z and the k. Plus saying it as one word just rolls off the tongue easily.

I've had a lot of ups and downs (mainly downs) over the years in my personal life so that's one of the reasons why I've always held on to ILL. It's my life's work. This is why I take a lot of pride in all the work I do on here plus I appreciate all of you that visit here regularly and compete in the battles. It's also why I don't take kindly to people that want to disrupt this amazing thing we have going on here. I don't take banning lightly, so if someone gets banned it's for a very good reason. All I've ever asked for is respect. In return I'll respect you back.

As far as the battles, we have the longest-running online (offline too I think!) beat battles of all time. Beat This! in 2003 then followed by Battle That! It's crazy to think about it. I've seen countless real world, in person beat battles come and go. I've also seen a lot of beat making websites come and go. Social media really kicked a lot of forums in the balls back around 2009 and many didn't recover and closed up shop.

But IllMuzik is still here. :clown:

(real life IllMuzik meetup):

gay men GIF
cryyyyyyyyyyy.png