3 months no beat makin

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i aint made a beat in about 3 months and i feel like i lost it i use to come up wit chords and melodys so easy but now i can't get anything crackin is this a block or did i just loose it well i know i aint loose it but i should be rejuvinated by now.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
makin beats should be like riding a bike. You always know how to do it, but u might not still be able to do all the tricks right away.

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
That happens to alot of people. When i want to get in da mood I watch Making Beatz Videoz or listen to otha people beatz and see what i can do. Maybe you should jus look for samples and why you doing that a beat or melody might come in your head. Jus my two centz.

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hmmm

i can make a beat thats cool but it just aint what i want i dont watch tv just music and when i am on the woy to the computer i got somethin in my head or a sample in my hand i load up and it just comes out wak on my break i was engineering in philly for a few people and i aint have my labtop. so i think doin the engineering and critiquing alot i watered down my style the thing is getting it back

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
when i want to get inspired i just put on the ish that inspires me. i usually put on a dre track n that will set me off lol.

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I usually come up with some crazy shit after taking a break....just keep on going at it...you will come up with something.

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
Same thing that is happening to me right now. i dunno im down to one beat a month. I know how it feels a burst of inspiration will come soon.

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
listen to alot of Jazz music, maybe some other shit too like coldplay and just practice playing your instuments

also maybe you should stay away from hiphop, not out it just listen to something other than rap

and try doing some other shit and kicking it in different invironments.

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
dont worry i havent touched shit im my studio in 6 months,but i have been checkin alot of Funk Bands and R&B groups and practicing my guitar. as long as you stay active in your craft(eg. Clean your PC put things in order,Check samples,listen to music, all music.) you should be fine.remember "ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY!"

ONE!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Take a 1 week break, don't think about music, don't watch it... chill... hang w/your girlfriend, have fun for a bit, then come back. You'll be amazed.

Alot of what's happening is your own mind is messing with your decision making. You are probably wanting to do better, striving for something different, and it's not whetting your palate. Same as writer's block for authors... just relax and come back to it in a week.

Don't pressure yourself too much. Remember, for success in this industry, talent only takes you so far... after that, it's who you know.

-G

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
thats happening to me right now. only made 1 in the last 3 months. but thats because im tyin to run my business and its not going too good right now

B

Burna

God said:
Take a 1 week break, don't think about music, don't watch it... chill... hang w/your girlfriend, have fun for a bit, then come back. You'll be amazed.

Alot of what's happening is your own mind is messing with your decision making. You are probably wanting to do better, striving for something different, and it's not whetting your palate. Same as writer's block for authors... just relax and come back to it in a week.

Don't pressure yourself too much. Remember, for success in this industry, talent only takes you so far... after that, it's who you know.

-G

damn, I had his same problem, thanks G. Verry nice advice.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yeah you have to take breaks from music every now and then, you dont wanna force music, when you force music then thats when you have problems, sometimes i will take like 2 or 3 days off and start up again, and the ideas just flow better, but i can't stay away from it too long, or i will go crazy, i NEED HIP HOP!!!!

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Yeh theres some good advice in the thread already, but id say you need to work out the best approach for yourself.

From the sounds of it part of the problem may be the time you've had away, so taking time off may do more harm than good

Another part of the problem might be the angle your approaching the situation from mentally! Its easier said than done but try not to put too much pressure on yourself to make something hot right away. The time you've had off means you might have dropped a notch or too, and it will be hard to immediately perform at the your previous level, but in time it will come back and you'll be heading in the right direction again.

My personal advice from what you've said would be to gently push through it but without setting any expectations for yourself, just take the time to ease back into it.

But as i said you need to take the time and figure out the best approach for you personally, but the most important thing is getting your frame of mind right.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Yea... tell me about it... It has to be your girlfriend. Break up with her now, and you'll make Plennybeats!

You can't be too hard on yourself when there's a slump. It's a natural part of the creative process. If you pay attention to the patterns in the years, you'll find times of the year where you're most productive, and take advantage of this. Tell your girlfriend to leave you alone. Go on leave from work. Take a vacation. Buy a handfull of trees too.

Also, the same routine will get to you eventually. I (and many other beatmakers) need some constant change of scenery or equipment or sounds to be able to be creative the way I want to. You've probably been in this situation: You're sittin in front of your keyboard/sampler/computer/instrument and you can't come up with SHIT. Then you go outside and you're on the train, hummin some sick ass melody that you wish you could record. Same thing where you're sitting in front of a blank piece of paper and nothing comes out, then you have all these ideas when you're talking to your girl or your family got you doin crazy things... Not to mention you can't be creative when NOTHING is going on in your life. Your mind HAS to be STIMULATED. Find your stimulations and use em as much as you can.